#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:57 PM

but I touched a heart or two today. While shopping in TSC this afternoon,  I notice a gentleman, about my age mid 60s walking in the store. Nothing much to make him stand out other than the hat he was wearing. I noticed he was graying (as I am ) and that he was walking probably slower than most in the store. But it was what was on his hat that made me notice him the most. His hat a dark blue baseball style hat sitting squarely on his head  was emblazoned in the front in bold Gold letters, "  Purple Heart Recipient " . I knew than he was veteran and had served our country proudly. I was going to walk up to him and strike up a conversation when my wife stepped up and asked me a question about a layaway we had in the store. I forgot about the gentleman for a little bit. We had to go to a different register to take care of the layaway. As we were waiting at the register the gentleman waled up to the other cash register to check out. I walked up to him stuck out my hand and looked him in the eyes and said , " Welcome home and thank you sir for your service" He shook my hand after I took him by surprise and said " Thank You for caring". The cashier, a young woman was caught off guard, she didn't know what to say or do. I apologized for interrupting hear and waled back to the other cash register where my wife and the other cashier were smiling. The young lady told the gentleman thank you and then finished checking him out. He smiled at her thanked her and walked out smiling.

Once in a while when I can and i see a veteran I try to thank them and welcome them home. My Grandfather and Father were veterans of the 1st and 2nd world wars. I am very proud of their service as I am very proud of all who serve us every day in our Military, Police, Fire, EMS and American Merchant marines. Again not to brag but just Proud to be an American who Lives Under the Blanket Of Freedom These Fine Men and Women provide for U.S. Every Day.

Roger.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, olcowhand and 28 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Thank you, Roger! I have had a few folks shake my hand when I am wearing my hat. Sure is a good feeling when they come forward!

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Bill56 and 10 others have said thanks

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,468 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Being a veteran of the 5th Spec Ops, A Shau Valley, Laos and Cambodia, I understand at some level, what they feel. I. Always thank any vet I'm aware of, I never tell them I'm a vet myself, I feel it takes away from their moment. I've been very blessed, many have not.
  • Bill56, MH81, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thank you Roger. I can't think of any Veteran that wouldn't appreciate your kindness. 

I personally was a short term member of the Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club. 

a_TGYC_Patch__1_2.jpg

Edited by Cvans, September 11, 2014 - 07:20 PM.

• Bill56, MH81, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thanking a vet shouldn't just be for Veterans Day, I try to thank them whenever I can recognize one.

About a month ago, I was helping a person over the phone. I asked for the model number and after a barrage of Whiskey Bravo Alpha, etc I thanked him for his service... There was a three second pause before he said I was welcome, and he named the group and where he served in Iraq. Then he asked me how I knew. After explaining, he laughed and said that they kinda ingrain that into you.
  • hamman, Cvans, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Roger, I couldn't agree with you more. If it wasn't for our service men, we wouldn't have the freedoms that we have. A lot of them sacrifice their lives so we can live our dream. I too thank them when I get the chance . Tom
  • MH81, hamman, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#7 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Very nice gesture Roger :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*