Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Wisconsin Twin Cylinder Engines-A Few Questions....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61643
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hi all,

i am interested in hearing from any owners(past or present) of these engines (THD,etc.,models). I've just begun investigating this type of engine for a future project (small crawler). I'd like to know about the presentday parts availability status,along with whatever information anyone cares to share about those vertical twins. I believe that they were made available with both magneto and dist./coil ignitions,hand and e-start. Looks like a great candidate for my project.

Thanks in advance!!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:04 PM

I've never owned one personally but they do get great reviews. Wisconsin made some of the best engines in the indusrty in my opinion.

Most service parts are available for these older engines ( I am also a parts supplier for Wisconsin engines)

• Alc said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Just about anything that commonly fails on a THD/TFD/TJD is still available.  Anything else is available used/salvage since there is a high population of salvage engines.  This was a common engine on balers and similar machines.

They are bulletproof and peppy little turkeys.  They have plenty of torque. 

Ben W.

• Sammy said thank you

#4 junkman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61811
  • 119 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:49 PM

I put one on a customized Gibson one time and yes it never lacked any power. Was a really sweet purring engine and made the little tractor sound really mean.

• Sammy said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I own one in a trencher, but have never had it running, but I can tell you that "Olcowhand" has one in a Custom Bush Hog JB that is one sweet running and powerful machine. Here is a video of my Dad plowing on it at Olcowhand's plow day last year, it has a beautiful sound to it.

• Sammy said thank you

#6 Sammy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61643
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Thanks,fellas,for your responses. I'm finding the very same positives elsewhere from chums that have owned them.....Fortunately,new parts aren't as silly priced as ONAN twins! Besides,for my application(crawler),a vertical twin just looks 'right'......I've been told that there were both 180 and 360 degree crankshaft models.

I'll have this engine driving a CUB  hydro transaxle,so probably the  180 crank would be best(although I'd bet that the 360 crank would offer the best sound).