• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,451 Thanks
  • 17,089 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Alot of people question or criticize  not using the restored machines after all the work that goes into them but I view a Restoration as  preservation of American history for the next generation.

As more and more tractors are scrapped, parted and chopped up they lose their originality and you can never get them back once they are gone or modified.

By paying attention to details and restoring these tractors to as close to factory specs as possible you are preserving the brand and tractor for the next generation. If no one restored them no one will ever know what these machines looked like back in the day.

• Alc, GTTinkerer and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I guess it comes down to if you are a detail focused person or not. I am, and it makes it hard to stop once I start working on a tractor. I can't settle for just getting it functional again, I have to try to make it like new. This is a recipe for trouble for my wallet and sucks up time like a sponge!  

• Alc, truck21, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#18 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:00 PM

its funny at our county fair this year i took my farmall h with no sheet metal on in original condition and it got the most attention out of all of them. in my opinion i like to see original tractors but if you are going to truly restore one go all out and make it better then when it came out of the factory.  

• Alc, johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#19 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,492 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:05 PM

I think most complete restores are wrong!  The paint is better than any orig finish, the details are too picky and neater than any factory tractor got. Chrome bolts, exact stickers, etc. It is NOT a new tractor, but a USED tractor. Keep it nice and fix as needed is OK, but don't make it better than it was when new,   I don't care for the Nit-pickers that say and Know all the things that are wrong with your rig and downgrade because of it.  Orig brand parts??? Who cares! Part that works is what matters. I paint mine with rattle cans, hardly ever correct as new, but look OK for me.  I change things to "improve" the operation of tractor, that should have been done when new really. That is why there are diff models, each year is "improved"!   So, why not add those same fixes to the old ones.

ON looking at old ones, I do if a stranger model..  No need to look at another JD110 or Cadet 107 say, they all look alike.

I don't care for ones with brush paint or spray and  missing belt drive  parts or chains and such, trying to look all done up. I prefer to see them workable again B4 the paint and re-fresh!

• grnspot110, Alc, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#20 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,769 Thanks
  • 3,237 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I agree on the many opinions on this. I restored mine in great detail down to the nuts and bolts, but I also work them hard. They get a re-doo around every 2 years. All are Garage kept. 

Attached Thumbnails

• attachmentAV3HMOES.jpg
  • attachmentXWRGO4C8.jpg
  • attachmentVAS5YZ3E.jpg
  • attachmentZWCVOMN6.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#21 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for all of the replies guys, but I think some of you are missing my point. I like seeing restored tractors, and I enjoy seeing original tractors. In fact I have both in my collection. Most of the tractors in my collection will eventually get restored someday, but the nice original ones will stay just as they are.

Maybe I didn't come across correctly in my opening post, as I was just pointing out that if you are going to spend the time and money restoring or refurbishing a tractor, just take a little more time to do it correctly and don't skimp on the details. If you're going to keep your tractor in it's original condition, that's great, and this post probably doesn't apply to you. However, if you are one of the guys who is thinking about trying a restoration or refurbishment, then maybe you should give this some thought. Detail says a lot, not just about the tractor, but also about you as an individual. It shows people you care about your equipment, you like the clean look, and you are proud.

We are all proud of our collections, whether we use them everyday, or we dress them up for shows only. After all, if we didn't care about our equipment, we wouldn't be members here or reading this right now. 

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,216 Thanks
  • 3,207 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:57 PM

My tractors are or working/playing, I couldn't care less what someone thinks of how it looks. My old cars are however, a different matter.
  • Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#23 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I agree detail is important . Even if the detail is something that people might not notice or even know what they are looking at , it still means a lot. It's the little things that make a good job a great job .I say do the best job you are capable of and be proud of yourself at the end.
  • Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

• Member No: 8367
  • 547 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I agree details are important. I cant stand overspray on tires, when a few minutes work

with masking tape would have made it look much better.

I have some tractors in their original "work clothes" and some that I have refurbished.

But here is my take on restored vs. refurbished vs. original..... I like 'em all, but

no matter what you do with your garden tractors , at the end of the day, the only

person you have to please, is yourself. 

Have fun, enjoy our hobby.

• Alc, johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#25 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Troy I think that's were we all as individuals comes in.Some can't see the difference in the finished product.

• Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,634 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 07:24 AM

I agree details do make a difference. If I see one with over spray everywhere, I go on past. I break the wheel down and use brown paper bags to cover the tires.

• johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#27 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:43 AM

My theory...If its worth doing,  Its worth overdoing.

I would agree with you to a point.  My point is this question: Show machine or worker?

In the case of the 120 I did it right but did not remove all the parts from the frame.  I left the lift assembly in place as it would have been a real pain to remove.  Other than that everything else was removed, cleaned and/or painted before reassembly.  I did not follow the letter of the law on how I painted parts either.  The heat shield on the top of the engine was natural metal but I like it painted black to match the engine.  Bedliner on the footrests is another addition I like for practicality sake. Did away with the points and swapped on a Kohler 26, upgraded tie rod ends, and added H3 - all because I planned on using it from day 1.     

The 110 I am working on will be more a show piece and will likely get a complete teardown.  I will likely try to duplicate the factory look due to the low serial number.  I will keep the RF steering wheel and hope to get it going with the proper magneto ignition.  

Edited by Trav1s, September 12, 2014 - 09:46 AM.

• johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#28 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62275
  • 517 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 12:18 PM

This is kinda off topic but in the same general area.  When I worked at a Dodge dealership  as a mechanic I bought a 1970 Plymouth Satellite off the dead car row.  It ran but the trans was shot and the left rear quarter was caved in.  I planned on overhauling the tranny and driving it back and forth to work.  Seven years later it was probably as close to a #1 car as you could get.  I went as far as replacing the small rubber bumpers on the ash tray and glove box because the originals were cracked or missing.  Attention to the small details like that make the differe nce in the end product.  I am just starting the restoration on my snapper 1855A (just hope it doesn't take 7 yrs) and I plan on taking the time and give extra attention to the small stuff as well as what you see as you walk by it.  Will show it, don't know but knowing it is show quality if I want to show it will be good enough for me.  Willie

• limebuzz, johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#29 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,141 Thanks
  • 4,556 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I prefer my tractors like I prefer my wife!  Workers.  I lack the $$$ or transportation to go to shows..  I get them in usable condition and work 'em..  

I totally get why some show- tractor owners either restore & detail the heck out them..   

The tractor has been left in the shape that it was procured and owned through the years.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and even though the tractor isn't shiny and new looking, perhaps the thing was in his/her family for generations and that is why they hold the thing in high regard as it has been through the years.  **The only way to know is to stop and ask the owner about it.    

• limebuzz, johndeereelfman and Bmerf have said thanks