Where Were You On 9-11

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I was a Senior in high school.  They turned on all the TVs in the school, and the principal did a broad cast and proceeded to broadcast the news.

They released us from school early. 

I drove to my grandfathers because he was leaving the next day for his big surgery.  That was the last day I sat at the kitchen table with my grandfather.  Him drinking coffee and smoking, and me drinking a mountain dew and us talking the my future.  He said lets go for a ride, we went for a ride down to Warwood, WV.  We pulled into this random house and there was a 1984 Z28 Camaro sitting there.  He asked me if I liked it and I told him yeah, that thing is pretty cool.  He went in paid the guy 1500 bucks and I drove it home.  It needed body work and he said you start on it and when I get out of the hospital we will finish it together.

He never made it out of the hospital. 

September 11th has a lot of meanings for a lot of people.  Many lost their loved ones, and people very important to them.  I remember it as the last day I got to spend with my grandfather.  Honestly the whole attack and everything that happened, I don't really remember all that well.

Tearing up writing that out.....He truly was one of the greatest people I have ever known in my life and miss him every day.

• Gtractor, GTTinkerer, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#17 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I was repairing a TV for a customer in my shop,and just as I turned it on to check out the fix the special report came on,watched the rest of the day,no more work was done in the shop that whole day.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#18 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:47 AM

I was repairing a TV for a customer in my shop,and just as I turned it on to check out the fix the special report came on,watched the rest of the day,no more work was done in the shop that whole day.

After I finished the morning drive on the radio station that I was working for ,  turned programming over to ABC then listened in utter dis-belief the rest of the day.  Went home and hugged my wife and daughter. 

• GTTinkerer, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:07 PM

driving to work and heard on the radio that the first tower had been hit. Work being a distributior of dvds we had a tv in a rolling cabinet that was rolled out on the sales floor and we kept up on what was going on.
To me keeping up with the current events and the war on terror, I fear history will repeat itself since we have yet to secure our borders,

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 11, 2014 - 12:10 PM.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#20 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Sept 11, 2001 was my first day of college.  I had just switched over from 1st shift, to second shift, and had a 9am class I was going to miss, because I missed my alarm.  I was running around the house trying to get out the door while the Today Show played on TV.  I wasn't used to mornings, was ready to pee my pants because I was going to miss my first class on my very first day.  

When i sat down to put my shoes on, I herad the tone change on TV and saw the coverage go nuts as the horror began.  I never left my seat, and later saw the bulletin scroll across from our local news that the university had been closed.  I ended up making it on time to my first day of class, but it wasn't on 9-11 as planned.

The thing that I remember so much about the time thereafter was the patriotism I had never witnessed before.  Vehicles, businesses, public building, even pizza boxes all waved our flag.  Hats, T-shirts and kids backpacks all seemed to be plastered with the colors of our nation.  Folks seemed to find a scnence of national unity there for a while, and I miss that.  I wish we saw more of it, without a disaster to spur it on.

My local Volunteer Fire Dept had a real nice display today...they are just a 2 engine house, but it must have taken hours to setup what they have out front today (had I not been driving, I would have grabbed a picture...it was 5am, and complete setup, with candles in the morning light).  The heart warming thing is, they do this several times a year, not just 9-11.  When a firefighter loses their life somewhere, they have a nice memorial popped up in no time.  Our little town does a nice job of flying the flag...lots of them...all year round, and it's a big reason why I love the place.  The guy that mows our park has one on the back of his JD zero turn, every time I see him.  Just gets me, I suppose.  Wish I saw more of it, like I did 13 years ago.

• GTTinkerer and hamman have said thanks

#21 GTTinkerer ONLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Folks seemed to find a scnence of national unity there for a while, and I miss that.  I wish we saw more of it, without a disaster to spur it on.

Probably doesn't help that the president had to be shamed into wearing a flag lapel pin along with placing his right hand over his heart during the playing of the National  Anthem.

OK, you have my permission to edit this for me.

• hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Was here at work when our warehouse guy stuck his head in the door and said " some crazy so & so just flew a plane into one of the towers" We thought he was pulling our leg at first. We gathered around the TV in the customer waiting room and watched the second plane come in and knew it couldn't have been an accident. Those pictures still give me shivers and goose bumps.

• hamman said thank you

#23 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 03:09 PM

2 years out of college I was working at Quality Farm and Country at the time (before they closed up).  There was a 5 gallon bucket of fence paint that had been spilled and I was cleaning up the mess when the news broke on the radio.  We had no tv's in the store to watch and I couldn't leave the building till lunchtime to walk down the sidewalk to the local hoagie shop to actually see what was going on.  I remember customers coming in, most of them knew about it allthough there was some who knew nothing about it.  In the days that followed I remember we shipped out just about every pair of rubber boots we had along with survey flags and raincoats and all sorts of other stuff that they needed at Shanksville at the crash site.  I definataly stared at the tv in disbelief for more than a few hours.  The world hasn't been the same since and I don't believe ever will be.

Edited by IHCubGuy, September 11, 2014 - 03:15 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#24 petrj6 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I was living at home with mom and dad and working In dalton mass at a steel shop. one of the few places I have worked that allowed radio's.  Listening to the chaos all day and had to go home to tell mom and dad about it, we had no tv at the house at the time.  took days for the reality to set in.  God bless those who gave their lives.

Peter S

• hamman said thank you

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,136 Thanks
  • 4,551 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 04:11 PM

That morning I was wandering about the house doing my morning routine and then the special report came on..  It showed the first plane hit the tower and then called my dad and went a mile over to his place and we watched in awe as the second plane hit.  Our thoughts and prayers were for those poor people that suffered and perished that awful day..  We pretty much watched the TV the rest of the morning and that afternoon as the events unfolded.  The following days when there was nothing flying in the sky brought about an eerie feeling about what had happened and how it affected our lives.  I will never forget that day for the remainder of my life and hope nobody else ever does!  

The only downside-  It brought about the end of personal privacy in the name of national security since..  The line continues to be battled over but to discuss further may warrant another dreaded Warning Point!  (the more the better right?)  

• hamman said thank you

#26 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I wa standing in the office of a middle school on business, a friend of mine was the principle there, he came in and told us about the first plane. We all kinda thought some errant private plane had accidentally hit the tower, boy were we wrong!