• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy181d OFFLINE  

cowboy181d
  • Member No: 61976
  • 29 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:03 AM

hi guys I am getting ready to lay out my rebuild of my lgt 145 and as it has a broken spindle I am in need of A- one Lh spindle...B- a set of the HD spindles, Or C- I am going to build a set of spindles which make the axle into a king pin design( this is going to happen but right now I need the LGT to roll) I am going to have a FEL so stock will not do for me for the long run...... Anyone else built their own spindles? I have built many spindles for custom and racing stuff so I have an idea of how I want to do it. but would love to see some pictures of other builds!

thanks in advance

Damen

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Stock units will be easier to find but are susceptible to failure under extreme loads for sure. But a lot of guys have loaders on their LGTs and have not yet broken a spindle. If all is in good shape I would think it would work fine , just would require a bit more maintenance is all.

#3 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:07 AM

You can grind off the welds on the tie rod bracket, have a machine shop bend a new spindle out of any material you want, slip the old bracket back on and weld as original.  That is what I did with my LGT165.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 cowboy181d OFFLINE  

cowboy181d
  • 29 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Yeah I was kind of thinking about getting some 4130 chrome molly rod stock and bending and retreating it. But I am still thinking for me I may machine or fabricate a totally new setup for the axle. As I never have cared for not hubbed wheels....

#5 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 357 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 09:18 PM

This web site has some good information on doing spindle up grades.

http://www.p.f.engin....com/index.html

Charlie

• Sawdust and cowboy181d have said thanks

#6 cowboy181d OFFLINE  

cowboy181d
  • 29 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks charlie.

I am going to  order my parts for my own custom spindles here in a few weeks. I decided that I am going to make her run and make sure she moves before I dig deep on her front end. as I discovered the fill plug was missing off the rear axle....

#7 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Check out PF Engineering's webpage, a lot of good pics on upgrading spindles from the 3/4 to 1" with a 4" hub and a 4 on 4" wheel

http://www.pf-engine...spindle-upgrade

• cowboy181d said thank you

#8 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 12:16 AM

Started my spindle upgrade on my GT18, took a 1" stub axle, left about 1/4" for the seal and bored it out .1000 over 3/4" just down to the where the thread starts.  Then I heated the stub axle and set it on the spindle, they're not comin off now for sure.  Had to sand it down a little as the bearing fit was too tight.  Need to weld a brace in there now between the end of the new axle spindle and the arm for a little added strength.

DSCF0117

• cowboy181d said thank you