• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I had fun, sorta yesterday doing some welding, had a little more fun today.  It has been a LONG time since I did any welding, long time.  Well..... It really did not take me to long to realize I had forgotten most everything I knew about welding.  Burning holes the size of a dime as I weld (turn down the juice), running out of (flux core wire) while trying to weld (speed up the wire speed), too shallow a weld (turn up the wire, or slow down the tip), way too thick of a weld, speed up the tip or slow down the wire speed), DO NOT lay your hand down on the metal you are welding on (explains the making my gloves frizbees in another post), also, don't forget to put on the leather welding gloves (bare handed HURTS), hold tip close to the metal, not 3 inches away... LOL, try real hard to get the auto darkness level to where you can still see, somewhat (explains why my bead ended up a long ways from where it should have been), clean metal is more of a mandatory hint than just gee whiz info, and the list goes on and on and on....

Even with the trails and tribulations I am and will be enjoying, I still had a blast!  Love my new welder!

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,187 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 10:57 PM

I got a chance the other day to use my Hobart Handler. Have used it in the past but this time I welded more with it. I have the auto darkening helmet and I keep it at 11 or 12. I am going to buy a cheater lens for it. It is tough looking thru the bottom of the lens of my glasses to get a better look at what I am messing up. Bifocals really suck for close up work.  Glad you had a chance to weld and have a little fun. I used to do a lot of stick and braze welding back some 45 , 50 years ago.   Thanks for sharing.                                                                                                                     Roger.

• FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#3 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,682 Thanks
  • 4,848 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:24 AM

Roger, you might want to look into a pair of cheap reading glasses to use when welding.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,440 Thanks
  • 7,242 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Roger, you might want to look into a pair of cheap reading glasses to use when welding.

That's a good idea !  , I wear bifocals and it seems I'm always having troubles with anything that , welding , cutting working under a dash is the worse ,  lol

• hamman, Cvans, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Yeh! It's fun to weld. I have a lincoln auto darkening helmet. It doesn't have any adjustments but it seems to work fine as is. I'm a beginner as well. I have progressive lenses which are like bifocals without the clear division between near and far vision. I found I could not see well at all. I realized that I didn't have the helmet down all the way on my head. After fitting it properly the window is low enough for me to see through the bottom of the glasses. It is much easier now to see what's going on. Working on anything where you need to tilt your head and read or see things close to you is a real problem. I've thought of getting another set of glasses for close up work.

• Alc, hamman and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,327 Thanks
  • 1,996 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have a pair of  glasses with "occupational lense's".  They are like a trifocal except they have the bifocal prescription in the bottom and top , with the "normal" section in the middle.  They are great for looking up under something such as a dashboard .  When sitting at the computer I don't have to move my head much at all.  i can get the monitor in one range and the keyboard or desktop in the otther.  My optometrist talked me into a pair of them years ago.  They work out well especially when working in the shop.   Rick

• Alc, hamman, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 5,433 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:18 AM

The Dollar General Reading Glasses are $6 and you can see what you are doing!  Just a suggestion!

• hamman, Cvans and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,841 Thanks
  • 30,711 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Brian (TD&H) told me about a welding helmet lens I need to pick up.  They are bifocal lens that would make welding so much easier than having your glasses keep slipping out of place.  Any good welding supply has them.  They come in varying magnification.  The ones in the pic are 2.00 focal.

lens.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I got to do a bit of welding yesterday as well.  I'm making a couple of brackets to hard mount my son's saddle bags, on his bike.  I have 3 bolts on each that hold the bag to the bracket so I tack welded the bolts to the bracket.  Just tack welding is fun and I enjoy fabricating so making the brackets was a good time.

• Alc, hamman, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#10 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:59 AM

I hope to get back to some... practice today later one.  I have a lot of beer to get kegged up and the cleaning that goes with it.  Then I have a big 'ol bowl of beets I steamed up in da fridge I need to get pickled.  *Might* be able to get in the shop for some fun tonight... LOL  Might, if me patience don't run short, get some eggs boiled up for pickling too.  Nothing like fresh pickled eggs to go with the freshly brewed beer in a couple weeks.  *Might* get some practice in before midnight.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,841 Thanks
  • 30,711 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I picked me up a pair of "cheater" welder lens today!

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#12 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,666 Thanks
  • 15,450 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Once you get used to the lenses, you will wonder how you ever got by without them in you hood.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#13 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 11:04 PM

When I had to start wearing glasses about 20 yrs ago, I got the cheaters for the hood and torch goggles. Wow, I saw things happening I hadn't seen for several yrs!!

We just traded for a newer, smaller and lighter camp tlr. It didn't have the 4" square tube bumper, so I extended the frame and welded a 2' x 1/8" sq tube to the extensions then welded a piece of 2 1/2" seamless to the center of it and bolted it to the frame cross member for a hitch receiver so we can take our small fishing boat along. Boy. that is PRICEY, $7.50 for 12"!! Then bolted a salvaged 4" bumper to the top of the 2" for sewer hose storage. The tlr came w/ a chinchy little compartment built in that would only hold one of the cheap blue hoses, which I'm not too fond of.

The spare tire was mounted under the front of the tlr. Talk about something real handy to get to!! I built a spare rack from some salvaged 1" sq tube that is bolted on the 4" tube. I built an oversize wingnut, so to speak, to hold the spare on the rack and cut a slot in one side of it for a small but stout chain to slip thru and attach a Master lock thru the chain link. It may not stop a dedicated spare thief but will hopefully make him think a little unless he brings his cordless grinder w/ cutoff wheel.  

I have a spool of flat 4 tlr wire I picked up at a yard sale several yrs ago and ran that from the junction box in the front for the boat tlr to plug into. I think it will all work well.

Mike

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you