• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 09:59 PM

My pre 71 tractors with the starter/generator have a regulator in the charging system but my slightly newer tractors with the starters have a rectifier in the same location,do they act like a regulator allowing the system to charge more say when the lights are on like a system with a actual regulator or just put out a certain amount no matter what the demand is. The reason I ask this is now that its getting dark earlier my tractors will be used mostly at night with the lights on and will the battery stay charged if only used at dark with the lights on,I cut grass at night after work during the week so I can keep the weekends free for other stuff and will be doing cutting and mulching leaves after dark from now on until the snow flies.  Should I put the charger on the battery after a few runs at night or will it put out enough to keep the battery charged.

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Using a small charger  less than 2 amps would be a good idea . Without knowing what the generator is doing your battery could not be kept up . If you could measure charge voltage and find it between  13.5 and  15  volts then you are probably ok .

• MH81 said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,717 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:21 AM

Does your tractor have a working ammeter in the system? That will tell you fairly quick if its charging the battery ar drawing from it. Most of the 3 prong electronic regulators will control the charge rate but some systems don't. Some of the Briggs have a separate circuit for the lighting and just a diode rectifier to make the AC current to DC to charge the battery..

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:56 AM

The rectifier does not regulate. It is converting the AC from the alternator to DC to charge the battery. If the system is stock without a regulator it has been designed so that the charge current and voltage level will charge but not overcharge a good battery. The problem with these systems is that they usually can't provide the good long term battery maintenance that a properly functioning regulator can. In newer tractors with this system the charge current is usually limited to a low value to prevent overcharging.  That can result in the battery gradually going dead when you use the tractor for short periods of time. As the battery ages the compromises in this approach often lead to more battery problems. A good regulator system is much better at keeping the battery healthy over the long term.

• Auburn David said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have newer tractros Jeff, my Sears 16's have the newer style which I thought were called regulators, the older ones were called rectifiers??? Ether/or or whatever it's called I have a newer style from an Onan actually on my Tecumseh OH160, I have a working ammeter and mine moves all around depending on my need for juice. While it's usually low while running 1-2 amps, startup/turn on lights/use my winch/etc, it will jump up to 10-12  then drop back down to maintenance levels.

#6 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Those custom 10s did not have a amp gauge and without the lights on the voltage is usually around 13.5 to 14 so I know its working but not sure if it will put out enough to be only used after dark constantly. I think I will put the charger on it after I use it with the lights on 3 times,it takes me about a hour to cut.

#7 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Now I am wondering if a regulator could be made to work.