5 replies to this topic

#1 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:06 PM

I need to de-thatch my lawn and have never owned a Thatcher before so I decided to purchase the John Deere/Brinly “Thatcherator”. The reason I chose the Tow-Behind verses the front mount Thatcher is so I can use it on any tractor I would like verses having a Thatcher that is tractor specific as a front mount would be.

If anyone has used one of these before and have any suggestions on use or weights I could use that would be great. I purchased and installed the 8” extensions for both sides making the 40” wide Thatcherator into a 56” wide Thatcher respectively.

One design feature I’m not too comfortable with is the lift lever. Seems more awkward to work then the other John Deere/Brinly Tow-Behind attachments.

thatcher01.jpg   thatcher02.jpg

I do like the fact that John Deere specs metal wheels verses the plastic ones Brinly and others put on theirs.

thatcher03.jpg

Kenneth

Edited by KBear, September 09, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

• Alc and Trav1s have said thanks

#2 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 292 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:21 PM

I often thought those would be good to use an electric actuator on. I have a plug core aerator I'd like to mount one on, one of these days...... 

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have seen guys using 8" cinder blocks for added weight Ken, but personally, I think it looks a little tacky. Can you add some extra steel as a build out in order to use suitcase weights properly? How strong is the tow hitch bracing, could you run a steel rod through them to hang barbell weights on? No matter what you use, it appears that you'll be lifting all the weight with the lift lever. I'd try and design something so that the weight hangs off of the back of the frame, so you would be pivoting the weight instead of having to lift, so if you hung the weight on the front. 

I know this probably won't bother you much, as it will give you added seat time, but after you thatch, you'll have to run a lawn sweeper back over your yard in order to pick up the dead grass. That is, unless you want to rake the whole yard by hand.  :(

Thatcher looks good, and it's good to hear from you again! Keep in touch.  :thumbs:

• Trav1s said thank you

#4 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Another suggestion for weights is to use old auto/truck battery cores. They might fit on top of the thatcher and are relatively easy to move.

I built a weight deck for the back of my 140 that holds 4 big truck batteries (4 x 65 lb = 260 lb) to counter balance my front end loader.

I plan to use similar truck batteries on a modified towable Craftsman blade and thatcher that I've built with an electric actuator lift. May post pics sometime when finished.

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I am watching for a thatcher like that myself.  Concrete blocks and/or batteries are great options.  Being the car junkie that I am, I am thinking a pair of old 383/440 Chrysler cast-iron heads would work great and happen to have several pair handy.

#6 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thank you everyone who gave their input. I was finally able to use my Thatcherator this last weekend and it worked well. I found that when I put weight (60 lbs) in the tray it didn't work as well. The weight pushed the Thatcher tires and subsequently the tines down into the grass making the thatcher not work as it was designed. See my grass it pretty thick and since I mow it at the highest setting on the mower it makes the grass thick and have a soft characteristic to it and by adding weight makes the tires sink into the grass. Since I didn't use any weight I did need to go over the lawn three times to pull as much of the thatch out as I thought would be good. Overall I really like the Thatcherator's ability to perform.

Once again thank you all for the input.

Kenneth

• johndeereelfman said thank you