4 replies to this topic

#1 OnYoLeft OFFLINE  

OnYoLeft
  • Member No: 62033
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hello All,

I'm new to hydraulic garden tractors. I had a couple Craftsmans in the past and I recently picked up a John Deere 312 in great condition. This was the second lawn cutting and it seems that I either lost hydraulic pressure or fluid. I remember the seller showing me a vinyl sight tube on the rear plate and that fluid hasn't changed. I forgot if that was the hydraulic fluid or the rear end fluid sight tube. Anyway, I was cutting the lawn and doing a little fwd and rev action to get into a tight spot. When I placed it in fwd all the way it was sluggish. Now it will only barely move when I feather it (fwd or rev.) out of neutral. Anything more than that and it doesn't move.

Any thoughts?

Roman

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Roman. I have a 314 which is very similar. The tube on the back is a site tube for the transmission/rearend fluid level, which is also used for the hydraulic lift. One thing to check is that the transmission bypass valve, which should be right below the front of the seat, is in the operate position. It's possible that it could be partly closed. If that checks out I would have a look at the linkage. It's a real contraption but you should be able to follow it from the lever to the transmission. You can find parts diagrams for the tractor at JDParts.com. Do a model no. search for 312 and then find the 312 garden tractor from the list. 

Another thing to check is the transmission driveshaft and it's couplers. If the coupler at either end of the driveshaft is stripped out the transmission may not be turning at full speed. Good luck. Let us know what you find. 

• Auburn David said thank you

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Welcome, Roman. I fixed up a 314 and have since traded it for a Dixon. The tranny came in pieces in a 5 gal bucket so I found another. While waiting for the tranny I noticed the keyway in the rear driveshaft coupler was worn 1/3 of the way around. I purchased another coupler and drilled and tapped setscrew holes 120* each way from the keyway on both couplers. I think the damage was caused from having the idle speed set too low. It needs to be high enough so you don't feel the harsh pulsations from the engine. I have a JD shop manual CD for the 312, 314 and 316. If you'd like a copy just pay the mailing cost. If interested PM me your mail address.

Mike

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:58 AM

I have the 300/312/314/316K manual in paper form if needed and can post pics.  The PDF/electronic version would be a good thing to have too.

Definitely check to see if the drive shaft is turning on the pump input.  The engine on the 312 (and the other tractors mentioned above) are rubber mounted.  When those mounts go bad it does bad things to the drive shaft and other parts of the drivetrain.  Let us know how this goes.

I am a fellow 312 owner myself and love their unique "incomplete" look without side panels.  Unfortunately my 312 was DOA as it tossed the connecting rod while the previous owner used it.  

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 06:29 PM

How goes the 312?