Garden Tractor Forums banner

The Next Project On The List

Tags
cat d4
5K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  nbent 
#1 ·
well a few months ago i struck a deal on a d4 cat from 1946 the pony motor needs work it doesn't have compression on one cylinder the diesel engine needs a fuel change to run on its own it has sputtered on starting fluid. no pics right now i keep forgetting my camera when i go to tinker on it.

#6 ·
Can't wait to see some pics .What kind of pony motor does that use ?
Cat is like John Deere. They make everything, and love what they make. Cat is what John Deere is to farmers for construction guys.

Just ask our forum kitty.

Ben W.

#8 ·
it runs and moves on its own power. after tinkering with the governor and a pull from a jd it was running both steering clutches need adjusted bad. as of today it has 613 hours on the clock for being 65 years old and from the looks of everything the hour meter hasn't rolled over the tracks and sprockets look great even the paint on the head studs is still there.

#10 ·
Looks like a fun toy! Bet it will plow well!

#12 ·
Gotta have an implement to use it with. Does it have a blade?

#15 ·
attachicon.gif
DSC00856.JPG

from the top of the stack to the round is 11 feet we are going to cut it down and add a brace so we can haul it on the semi
Wouldn't smell any smoke from that stack!

#17 ·
the pony motors alive and kickin got the valve freed up with some persuasion and the stack is a little shorter now. i am definitely getting a muffler for the pony it is louder than the diesel motor

#18 ·
Sounds like you will be driving around the yard soon!

Reactions: nbent
#22 ·
There are always some things that need a little extra TLC! Hope they can fix it for you.

#24 ·
just an update i forgot i had straight water in the cooling system and in the beginning of the fall it froze and cracked the lower radiator housing cracked the main engine and the pony motor blocks. thankfully no internal damage i put in the shop Saturday night and worked on it Sunday i have the rad pulled and the exhaust manifold pulled i am thinking of pulling the head and having it checked for cracks and wear along with checking the cylinder bores the pony motor needs to be removed for either rebuilding or replacing depending on how it checks out plus the injector pump and the governor to replace some leaking seals

#26 ·
i don't think its lost i did no internal damage on the main engine just cracked part of the side out it can be brazed or welded back together the same on the pony but it needs rebuilt any way

I may have lost one as well. Be a couple days before I can get to it to check.
One thing drives out another.
it always suck when you do lose one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.