Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Some Prayers And Support Needed

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,633 Thanks
  • 8,518 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Glad to hear things are a bit settled for the moment and the family plans are working out.

#32 jdslednut OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 632 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 01:44 AM

Haven't posted on here much lately so I thought I'd give an update.  Mom and Dad are currently in an assisted living facility.  We met with their doctor this past week where he told Dad he couldn't drive and told them both that they should stay put in assisted living rather than returning to the farm.  Dad participated in a driver's evaluation where he failed most parts of the examination.  The doctor let him keep his physical license but told hm that if he drives he will submit it to the state to be revoked.  I thought he would be sending it to the state right away but after the discussion I feel he made a good decision.  Dad can still have the satisfaction of keeping his physical license with the hope that he could retest and get back his driving abilities.  If he were to get caught driving though, it would be revoked.

I have learned a whole bunch in the past months.  I've learned much about estate planning, medicare, nursing home look-back periods, agricultural taxes, and you name it that I hoped I would have to deal with in another 15 years.

Last week my father-in-law was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer so now we have responsibilities from both sides of the family.  We're currently looking for a travel trailer to park at my parents' farm this summer while we clean the place up a bit and begin to prepare for the possibility that we may be living there soon.  With all that is happening 2 hours away, it would probably be best that we are around more for them.  I don't want to move, but circumstances indicate that this would be best while our kids are still young in school and while they could receive the more rural upbringing that I so treasure.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers in our journey.  I appreciate the GTTalk family and the support I have received from such a good community of like-minded people.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#33 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,643 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Sorry to hear that the troubles continue, but hopefully the move and the future will be positive for the family and bring you all closer together.
I know what you mean about learning things in a hurry.
When Dad got sick, we were faced with some head spinning options and we decided to do home care with the family for as long as possible. Unfortunately, he wasn't with us long enough to put it all into practice.

Please know you are continuing to receive support from N.W.PA for as long as you need it. Thanks for the update and please let us know how you all are making out as you can.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#34 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 06:59 AM

Jeff, you have support from down here too. I grew up in a rural setting and it does not compare.

#35 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,064 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 02:01 PM

None of us knows when we'll be on the first day of the rest of our lives, Jeff. Best I can say is to roll with the punches and things will work out.

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,192 Thanks
  • 29,682 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Jeff I'm sorry I haven't kept up.  Praying things get easier for you & your family.

#37 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,515 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Praying for wisdom, comfort & healing for your whole family. These no doubt are difficult & trying times. My MIL suffered with dementia up & down personality all the time. You almost have to treat them like children the way their minds work. It sounds like things are working out for the best for everyone. Keep us updated...we all may never meet but we care for one another. God Bless.
  • KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks