#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 10:11 PM

and auger repair has been done. Our Jacobsen 1200 Super Chief Hydro has been used mostly for snow blowing since we have had it. Before we got ( ED ) the previous owner used it to mow and blow snow in his driveway. Needless to say the blower has been used to the point that it has worn parts on it.
The cutting edge wore out completely in the middle. When it did it also wore out part of the housing and caused a crack. Ed (previous owner who we named it after) must have hit several rocks with it because the auger has several dents and splits in it.
Today I took the blower off and welded the cracks and heated and straightened all the bent fins and auger parts. I also installed a new cutting edge. The old cutting edge was 1/8" steel and the new one is 1/4" steel.
I removed the old cutting edge and ground down the cracks and pounded back the big dent in the bottom to straighten it out so it will be stronger. I took some pictures along the way and figured I would post them here.
DSCF8128.JPG DSCF8131.JPG DSCF8102.JPG DSCF8105.JPG DSCF8109.JPG DSCF8103.JPG DSCF8103.JPG DSCF8111.JPG DSCF8117.JPG DSCF8120.JPG DSCF8122.JPG DSCF8119.JPG

DSCF7035.JPG DSCF7033.JPG A replacement blower we bought this spring for $ 75.00. Needs bearings and new chain. Will use it for parts as time goes on.
DSCF1588.JPG Getting ready to blow snow last winter.

Thanks. Roger.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Just a couple more pics. These are of the repaired ( straightened ) part of the auger that pulls the snow into the chute. I plan on reinforcing them so they will not bend again. I also plan on adding some rubber belting in this area to help with the blowing.

One side of the auger,DSCF8124.JPG , other side of the auger.DSCF8123.JPG

Thanks.                                                                                                  Roger.

Edited by hamman, September 08, 2014 - 10:17 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Roger, looks like your all ready for the white stuff to start flying. Nice job on the rebuild, should do very well for you. :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:14 AM

Lookin good, looks like a craftsman auger i repaired once, i used a torch and brass rod cause the metal was thin.  Had a gravel driveway and didn't take long to get bent again but at least the welds held

Do you know of a source for new bearings for the Jacobsen blowers?   met a guy last year who scrapped a 2-stage b/c he couldn't find new bearings for it

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Fastenal has the ability to find bearings for them. Grainger should also be able to get them. There used to be a place in a town 30 miles away called Detroit Ball Bearing and they could get or make any bearing you needed. I plan on redoing the other blower next spring. Bearings and chain are what it needs.          

Roger.

• Oldford said thank you

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have NEVER in my life seen a blower(or sled..or snow shovel for that matter)in person..I would love to have a couple of sets of tracks from a sled for a project I have dreamed of for years,but cant find stuff like that down this way.

Looks like you did a good job on the repair from what I can tell!!!!

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 11:59 AM

Auburn you can find tracks (used) on ebay for a decent price. Sometimes I wish I hadn't seen a snow blower or snow shovel my self. If you decide to do your project make sure the tracks are the same kind, from the same kind and year of sled.    Thanks.                                                                           Roger.

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Excellent use of your time, Roger!

• hamman said thank you

#9 littletime OFFLINE  

littletime
  • Member No: 51758
  • 10 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 24, 2014 - 01:23 PM

If that is a 38" blower I have a complete one with a damaged auger, other than that it seems to work ok. just bought another tractor and blower and deck for 325. It works good.  If your interested, you can contact me and we will see of we can get together. I am in south central Wisconsin.