Hello All, New member with a problem. Hope someone can help.
I have a JD 318 that recently stopped working. I finished cutting the front yard, stopped to get fuel and the unit would not restart.
1) Onan engine, not sure of the model.
2) 12 volts are battery and at starter cable
3) turning key gets "clunk" of the starter solenoid engaging.
4) Starter is model with starter solenoid mounted above like a GM starter. Starter is mounted to Onan with Solenoid below starter, just to be specific.
5) Turning key gets no movement of starter at all, just the bendix solenoid engaging. Bypassing key and touching Solenoid terminal and Starter terminal get a spark and no motion of starter.
6) Unit has an Automotive type relay added upstream of the Solenoid, I believe to meet a past JD service bulletin/correction.
My assumption is starter is bad. Bigger question is how do I remove it from the chassis?
I can see no way to drop the unit between the frame rails. The starter sits next to left side, as you sit on the unit. Front suspension and hydraulic lines get in the way.
Is there a trick? Do I need to loosen / remove the engine from the frame?
Thanks in advance for any help.