• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dcost318 OFFLINE  

Dcost318
  • Member No: 62002
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hello All, New member with a problem. Hope someone can help.

I have a JD 318 that recently stopped working. I finished cutting the front yard, stopped to get fuel and the unit would not restart.

Specifics are:

1) Onan engine, not sure of the model.

2) 12 volts are battery and at starter cable

3) turning key gets "clunk" of the starter solenoid engaging.

4) Starter is model with starter solenoid mounted above like a GM starter.  Starter is mounted to Onan with Solenoid below starter, just to be specific.

5) Turning key gets no movement of starter at all, just the bendix solenoid engaging.  Bypassing key and touching Solenoid terminal and Starter terminal get a spark and no motion of starter.

6) Unit has an Automotive type relay added upstream of the Solenoid, I believe to meet a past JD service bulletin/correction.

My assumption is starter is bad.  Bigger question is how do I remove it from the chassis?

I can see no way to drop the unit between the frame rails.  The starter sits next to left side, as you sit on the unit. Front suspension and hydraulic lines get in the way.

Is there a trick?  Do I need to loosen / remove the engine from the frame?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I did find this post on another webpage..."It's been a long, long time since I owned a 318 but once, for no apparent reason, it just died. I was using it, stopped to get a drink and couldn't get it started again. After dicking with it for a few hours, I eventually called the dealership and they sent out a mechanic. Actually, he was on his way home and stopped in by to give me an opinion. He had it fixed in about 5 minutes. It seems that there was an in-line fuse that is hidden away somewhere that I couldn't see or find. Now, you're going to ask me where that fuse is and, for the life of me, I can't remember. It might be worth finding out though before you start ripping things apart."

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 01:52 PM

first make sure the engine and starter have a good clean ground, make sure you have 12 volts going to the starter on crank, and make sure you have 12 volts in the battery.

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 01:54 PM

but in case none of this works..Take the shield off the bottom of the frame (self tapping hex screws) Remove the bolts from the engine to the shaft going to the pump, disconnect the throttle, choke, take the hood and sides off, remove the four engine bolts and now you own the engine in your lap.

• Dcost318 said thank you

#5 Dcost318 OFFLINE  

Dcost318
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Auburn,

I did check voltage at battery (12.27) and same at cable termination at starter.  When cranking voltage drops to 6 and I chalk this up to my original diagnosis of a bad starter.  My plan on this is I am now charging battery and will try again.  Also plan on jumpering my Ferris mower, turning key and seeing what that does at starter terminal voltage.  I had problems starting in past which I felt was a bad ignition switch. I needed to wiggle key to get engine to crank. When all this happened, I replaced switch with a new unit purchased for winter overhaul and result was the same, no cranking.

I have already removed lower screen and side panels, hood is next.  I was not sure of what else needed to get engine out, thanks for the list.

I also did check the fuses and they are both good.

Just a question, where is nameplate for Onan engine?  I could not find it.

Thanks.

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 02:48 PM

If all else fails.smack the starter with something on its side and it just might start...LOL

Edited by Auburn, September 08, 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Battery should have 12.6 if the tractor is charging correctly. I would charge the battery and have it tested to see if it's good. Make sure you also have a good engine ground. The other thing is if the bendix is stuck out and jammed in the flywheel, engine may not turn over. I would try and turn the engine back and forth by hand some how to see if any thing is stuck. Disconnect spark plug wires while doing this for safety sake. Also don't hit the starter, that may loosen the magnets on the inside and ruin the starter. Just some thoughts, Noel

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:25 PM

You have to remove the engine to remove the starter, yes. You can just tilt it to get at the two bolts holding the starter in.

#9 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Try hooking jumper cables from your cars battery directly to the bolt that supplies power to the  starter, you will have to jump that terminal where the little wire connects to the bendix solenoid. Sorry if that makes no sense, its hard to explain. 

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I would try  jump  starting it , 6 volts is way too low , 

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I have seen these starter drives jam from being slightly out of alignment.  If the battery is fully charged, the drop to 6V makes me think the starter drive is jammed.  When they do, you turn the engine by hand backwards to release the stuck drive.  If that doesn't work, then if all connections are sound, it's lift the engine & pull the starter time.

• Auburn David said thank you

#12 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Definitely try jumping, or spinning the flywheel by hand to see if its jammed before removing a 200# engine.

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 05:27 AM

Didn't think to ask when I posted but are you getting 6 volts from the starter stud to the starter case or from the starter  stud to the battery negative ?  I had a bad ground on mine where it bolts to the head .

#14 Dcost318 OFFLINE  

Dcost318
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to go on the assumption the starter is jammed and work accordingly.

I will be lifting the tractor to get under and try spinning the flywheel.

As for a good ground, I have been using the unit as is for about two years.

Thanks for the help.

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:46 AM

We always hope for a simple fix .  Not always the case . Good luck