• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:17 PM

There is a product out that is harmless to animals & humans, but will make the Moles go away. It's called Milky Spore. there is a handyman show locally (This guy is wicked smart. Usually, if he says it'll work, you can take it to the bank.

link to where he talks about getting rid of moles. MOLES

link to his website. Lots of info under "Trapper's Topics" from ants to woodpeckers LOL
Ask Trapper John - Home

#17 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 02:15 AM

I've not had much trouble with moles, although I did have one come running out of his hole once when I stopped the mower to move a fallen branch. I was already getting of the mower so I punted him with the steel toe :bash: and the cat nabbed a couple of em in the woodshed the same summer, havn't seen any since. I have had a groundhog problem along with the neighbors on either side of me. The .22Lr worked great for that that, switched to subsonics after the one neighbor ask me to be more discrete, but don't stop getting them varmits, 'cause her youngest knew what happened when he heard the shots. :shoot2:worked great.
Speaking of that, for those that may run into smaller critters that need dispatched when out and about, I've used the CCI shotshells in .22, .38, .40, .44 and I think they make them for .45acp and they work really well.
Back to moles, another tactic I know works, is if you have a place you can get dry ice from, it's usualy very cheap, and as it evaporates the CO2 is heavier than air so it purges the Oxygen from all the underground networks.

#18 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 07:03 AM

Around here some guys swear by the juicy fruit gum method. I have in the past only had a problem once in a while with them. This spring I had the worst time with them. I set out 3 traps and got 4 moles and that was either the last of them or the others got scared away.

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 06:23 PM

I also used to carry the .45 1911 once in a while, I think I might have gotten one or two with that method LOL.

Wow George! Talk about your overkill LOL! I have a howitzer that I use to get rid of squirrels J/K LOL! I have had a mole problem since I moved to where I'm at now. I have used the .22 a few times and the lawnmower on numerous occasions! As far as I'm concerned Napalm isn't overkill with the little buggers! I have heard that what KBear said about the grubs is the surefire method though. I've wanted to try "grubex" for some time, but With younguns and pets running around in the yard I worry about them getting sick from it too. Not to mention that I have almost 4 acres to treat and that could get really expensive.

#20 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 12, 2010 - 08:47 AM

my dog has gotten several in the last few weeks, but her method of strip mining is hard on that yard.
  • twostep said thank you

#21 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 06:47 PM

my dog has gotten several in the last few weeks, but her method of strip mining is hard on that yard.

:bigrofl:

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:28 AM

I am no PETA activist, but that seems like a heck of a way to die......lol

Wake up one morning & hear "Pop"... with a little cloud of dust from the yard. "Pop,pop,pop,pop" LOL :laughingteeth:

#23 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:28 PM

What did the squirrel see when he looked in the mole hole?

molasses!!!

#24 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 22, 2010 - 02:42 PM

dog got another over the weekend. back yard should almost be tilled enough to reseed in the spring due to the dog digging, might need to smooth it out some first. It would be easy to twist a ankle back there now.

#25 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:08 AM

Old Fashion Wind Power Pest Control.....I got rid of all my Moles & Groundhogs and other garden pest & made a little hobbie / Business out of it too. When I first started doing small woodworking items I allways liked old fashioned Whirligigs & wanted to make one. To My Surprise, Doing a little research i found that they go back to the 18th century...But the Old Timers didn't make them Just For Fun......Like most things they did, it had a good purpose and it worked....and it still does.
It''s so simple! Every time the wind blows, A Whirligig mounted on a metal post driven about 3 ft.into the ground will send vibrations that will drive the pest away. I have one in each corner of my garden and & one in the middle too. I have since, never had a problem with any garden pest.
They also help keep unwanted birds away and the deer aren't too fond of them either. But everyone who sees them loves them, especially the kids. They Make your Garden Look Great Too. Makes a Fun winter project to do with the kids, grandchildren and the wife. All mine are Hand Made by Me & Hand Painted By My Wife.
I've made & sold many. Here are just a few of the custom designs I've made for my customers. Use your imagination, You can even make one of you on your Favorite Brand Tractor doing a chore.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Kickin' Bass.jpg
  • John Doe.jpg
  • Angel on stand.jpg
  • Sawman.jpg
  • Favre.jpg
  • Sulky1.JPG
  • Heyliger.jpg

• GTTinkerer, Aussiedog, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#26 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Old Fashion Wind Power Pest Control.....I got rid of all my Moles & Groundhogs and other garden pest & made a little hobbie / Business out of it too. When I first started doing small woodworking items I allways liked old fashioned Whirligigs & wanted to make one. To My Surprise, Doing a little research i found that they go back to the 18th century...But the Old Timers didn't make them Just For Fun......Like most things they did, it had a good purpose and it worked....and it still does.
It''s so simple! Every time the wind blows, A Whirligig mounted on a metal post driven about 3 ft.into the ground will send vibrations that will drive the pest away. I have one in each corner of my garden and & one in the middle too. I have since, never had a problem with any garden pest.
They also help keep unwanted birds away and the deer aren't too fond of them either. But everyone who sees them loves them, especially the kids. They Make your Garden Look Great Too. Makes a Fun winter project to do with the kids, grandchildren and the wife. All mine are Hand Made by Me & Hand Painted By My Wife.
I've made & sold many. Here are just a few of the custom designs I've made for my customers. Use your imagination, You can even make one of you on your Favorite Brand Tractor doing a chore.....

I've heard that those worked, but how many do you think it would take to keep the moles out of the 3 acres that I have as a yard?

#27 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 09:40 AM

Too Many!!!! This is a practical solution for a Fenced in Vegie Garden, Small yard or Flower beds . I guess my post realy belongs more in the Gardening Forum.

Sorry, I had no idea your problem was so wide spread.....LOL

Edited by DanO, February 03, 2011 - 09:56 AM.
spelling

#28 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yeah its a large area that the moles keep torn up. I may look into making/getting one and putting it by the veggie garden.

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 11:46 AM

My yard already looks like it's been chisel plowed from the mole damage. Before the rains Tuesday, I sprayed my entire yard with insecticide, so the rains would soak it into the ground. Not sure if it'll kill the grubs this time of year, but worth a try to get ahead of the problem before spring. Get rid of the grubs, then most of the moles leave.

#30 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:09 PM

I put a 8 foot wind mill in the corner of my 65 x 65 garden and the moles stopped tunneling in my yard around the garden. My yard is around 2 acres

good luck