#1 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 04:36 PM

I have a horrible mole problem. I have set a trap, but haven't caught any yet. Also I bought some posioned worms, but i have to find a active run to put the in.

I am going to have to roll my yard to try and smooth out the damage. I wanted to apply something across the entire front yard but my wife is affraid the cat will get into it, and then transfer it onto her.

Any good ideas on Mole removal?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 05:53 PM

I dont really have any Ideas other than a cat. LOL

What also works is I made a stick with some nails sticking out the bottom. Whenever you see the dirt moving......... WHAM!Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
  • Bob IN said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Nothing like a good ole game of whack o' mole
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Nothing like a good ole game of whack o' mole

he he he he.......Posted Image

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 06:37 PM

We didnt have moles, but had groundhogs...........They usually have 2 holes to their burrows......seal one up, and run a hose into the other.......seal that over the hose. Connect the other end of the hose to the exhaust on your lawn tractor....or car ......Let it run for a 1/2 hr.........Sleep time in groundhog (mole) town..........

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 07:38 PM

Had many a folk swear by this........."Juicy Fruit" chewing gum! Tear a strip into about 3 pieces. Roll each piece up, then make a hole down into mole tunnel. Push the strips into the tunnel & do nothing else. They say they love this particular gum & smell it, then come running for a snack. The gum does not work with their digestive system...clogs them up & they die. Gonna be trying it this year myself. Heck, the cost is nothing, so worth a try. And I do mean these guys swear that it works beautifully!

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:52 AM

I would love to hear your results if you do this method. Sounds like a decent way to control the problem. Although smashing one with a board and nails sounds fun too.

We use to have field mice at the old house and every time I would be out there mowing the field sure enough I would see a mouse or two and I would chase em down and run em over with the tractor. I also used to carry the .45 1911 once in a while, I think I might have gotten one or two with that method LOL.
  • twostep said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 11:50 AM

I also like to keep one large screwdriver on the porch. Every now & then I'll see them working a mound, so stomp the trail behind them & hack em to smithereens! Some will say that's cruel, but I don't care as it gives me joy after they've been drilling my yard to death!

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Had many a folk swear by this........."Juicy Fruit" chewing gum! Tear a strip into about 3 pieces. Roll each piece up, then make a hole down into mole tunnel. Push the strips into the tunnel & do nothing else. They say they love this particular gum & smell it, then come running for a snack. The gum does not work with their digestive system...clogs them up & they die. Gonna be trying it this year myself. Heck, the cost is nothing, so worth a try. And I do mean these guys swear that it works beautifully!

I will have to try that.I wonder if it works on field mice,I have more of them around than moles.

#10 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:00 AM

yesterday I placed some of these grubs in active runs. I also relocated my trap. I am going to pick up some juicy fruit this week.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#11 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 10:24 AM

I am no PETA activist, but that seems like a heck of a way to die......lol

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I am no PETA activist, but that seems like a heck of a way to die......lol

That screwdriver I sometimes use isn't much fun for them either!:rolling:

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:00 PM

That screwdriver I sometimes use isn't much fun for them either!:rolling:

:laughingteeth::rolling::rofl2::rofl2:

I think I remember also squashing one when I was rolling the front yard last spring LOL.
For all the damage they cause, I really dont care how I get rid of them, as long as they are gone!
:blowingup::shoot2::shoot3::flamethrower:

#14 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:36 PM

I have a horrible mole problem. I have set a trap, but haven't caught any yet. Also I bought some posioned worms, but i have to find a active run to put the in.

I am going to have to roll my yard to try and smooth out the damage. I wanted to apply something across the entire front yard but my wife is affraid the cat will get into it, and then transfer it onto her.

Any good ideas on Mole removal?

I know you have a legitimate concern about your cat. I've used Sweeney’s Poison Peanuts for a number of years with a lot of success. However, I don't have cats to be concerned about. Best way to eliminate moles is to eliminate their diet of grubs in your lawn. That's their favorite food.

#15 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I usually trap about 15-20 moles each year. I tried every possible trap and old time remedy until a few years ago someone recommended a certain brand trap. It is the best by far. If anyone is interested I will take a picture and post.