Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What A Cool Ride Today.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Our Son bought a Suzuki Blvd on Friday so today I took him out on his first ride.  I kept it to mainly some low traffic back roads at first,  He did really well so we made our way over to Hwy 100 headed into Tallapoosa.  As we were cruising along I saw a bike stopped and a guy working on it so we stopped to see if we could lend a hand.  It was a 1928 Harley, the guy was doing the Motorcycle Cannonball endurance run (pre-1937 bikes).  Not long after we stopped the pick up wagons showed up so we got to see some other really cool old bikes.  I love looking at old machines and especially bikes.  Not only did I get to share my Son's first ride but also got to share some of the old iron with him as well.  I don't think it gets any better then this.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Lucky you and your son to get to share a ride together like that.

I have been riding for 45 years and hope I am able to ride forever!

• tinbender7 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 06:31 PM

any father son time is awesome, and the cherry on top was all the old iron you got to see an share a few memories together.

Tom

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 07:06 PM

I followed the first two cannonball rides by tracking them on the internet, but since I retired I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for sharing, I will follow their journey.  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Which size Suzuki?  I always wanted one of those 650 singles, think C6 Now?  Be simple, yet have a little power. Most want to sell you the V-twin ones, which are OK, but the single is diff.  How old is this Son?  Nice you can share the rides sometimes. I just got back into riding, but haven't been out as much as I thought I was gonna be. Got a Sportster, but was really looking for a big single, but price was right, so went with it.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 09:57 PM

I sure wish you would have had your Camera along. Wait, I'll bet your phone has a camera in it. Did you take any photos?  :camera: 

l

• MH81 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 10:57 PM

Which size Suzuki? I always wanted one of those 650 singles, think C6 Now? Be simple, yet have a little power. Most want to sell you the V-twin ones, which are OK, but the single is diff. How old is this Son? Nice you can share the rides sometimes. I just got back into riding, but haven't been out as much as I thought I was gonna be. Got a Sportster, but was really looking for a big single, but price was right, so went with it.

I am sure the boulevard is a 650 single. Not real flashy,but solid as a rock proven transportation. Great two lane crusier. and yes i would like to have one too, I really like plonking along on the back roads..
I am too old to hang my butt in the breeze and play Ricky Racer.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 07, 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Nope it is a V-twin 800 CC. it is a C50 series but the model is VL800.  It was originally silver, but one of the PO's did a terrible job blacking it out (seems to be the trend now) so it doesn't look great but mechanically it runs great and rides real nice.  When they blacked it out they chopped the front fender and didn't dress the cut so there are jagged edges.  The front brake pads are worn so we plan to work on it tomorrow after he gets off work (his son has a soccer game tonight and Mike is the coach)  Grandpa will be there the help with what ever. :D

I have been kicking my self since yesterday for not taking any pictures.  I have one of those old flip phones so it doesn't take good pictures by Mike had a smart phone.  I should have told him to take some.  I was far to interested in watching this guy field strip this engine to get at the gears.  Then the trailers pulled up and I got to looking at the other bikes. 

Mike is in his mid 30's. He served in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He has PTSD and TBI, and he's a single dad trying to raise 3 kids so he has been having a tough time.  We have talked about him taking up the sport as a stress reliever but just couldn't get all the stars to line up until now.  I can't remember when I have seen him so excited and smiling from ear to ear. 

This will always be a great memory for him, not only having his dad do his first ride but getting to see those old bikes running and being ridden. 

• EricR, TomLGT195 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks