#1 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:10 PM

We don't really have a lot of discussion about walk behind lawn mowers so I'm putting this here for max exposure.

I'm in the market for a self propelled walk behind and I came across this unit from DR Power Equipment:  http://www.drpower.c...elled-mower.axd

It's got me intrigued as it has an aluminum deck, ball-bearing wheels, and a metal transmission at a sale price right in line with the nicer box store mowers.  I've looked at the Toro Super Recyclers at $500 but that's a bit more than I want to spend and I don't care for the Personal Pace system for how I will be using it.  Also, the composite deck Hondas are nice but way out of budget.

Anyone have one of the DR mowers?  Any thoughts on DR stuff in general?  Customer service any good?  Other than the DR site, I can find almost nothing online about them.

• Lmiller3358 said thank you

#2 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Packed with power? I'm not so sure about that...
I don't like the way the self propelled is controlled by that lever on the handle bar. Every time you want to engage it you have to move your hand.
Have you looked at Husqvarna?
  • Canawler said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I dont care for the rear discharge on ANY mower..

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:43 PM

You might look at this one,My father-in law has one like this that he worships...LOL http://www.mowersdir...ower/p9790.html

#5 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:01 PM

I don't like the way the self propelled is controlled by that lever on the handle bar. Every time you want to engage it you have to move your hand.
Have you looked at Husqvarna?

My preferred drive control setup is the squeeze handle / trigger style with a separate speed adjustment but I don't think anyone makes that any more.  I previously had a mower with the same setup as the DR and overall I thought it was ok but the bar would tend to pinch when you engaged it.  I use the walk behind to get to a few areas in my yard that are hard to hit with the tractor.  One fairly steep hill, under several trees with exposed roots, and several areas that are too tight to maneuver the tractor.  It's all back and forth detail work with no open areas so I'm constantly hanging onto the handlebar, steering and pulling back and forth.  That's why I'm not liking any of the Personal Pace, My Stride, MySpeed, etc. systems.  They're all designed for long open runs, not where you're constantly maneuvering around obstacles. 

I have looked at Husqvarna and they have one model I'm considering but I'd really like to avoid a stamped steel deck.

I dont care for the rear discharge on ANY mower..

I hear you.  I would primarily be using this in mulching mode though and to bag leaves in the fall.  I need to actually see one of these in person to see exactly where they discharge.  The plastic deck Honda's do a rear discharge but the grass is diverted straight down.  It doesn't seem to be too bad of a setup.

You might look at this one,My father-in law has one like this that he worships...LOL http://www.mowersdir...ower/p9790.html

I've had a front drive mower in the past and didn't like it at all.  Zero traction on anything but completely level ground.  Never again.

I haven't totally ruled it out yet but my other problem with the MTD built mowers like that Snapper is that the front and rear axle supports are plastic.  It's not a problem when the whole deck is one piece of plastic like on the Hondas but the MTDs have the plastic sections screwed and snapped into the metal center section which creates a weak point.  That's why my current walk behind is out of commission; the front axle support fatigued and broke out at the screws.  Granted it's 13 years old but still, it just doesn't seem like a good design. :smilewink:

• Auburn David said thank you

#6 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yeah I prefer the type of drive mechanism you are describing for the same reasons. I've got a brand new electric start troybilt with that setup. My john deere js40 also has it.

#7 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 03:54 AM

My neighbor has a new Gravely walk behind,,,seems to be a good machine,,,,

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Guess this is a dumb question but I've never even used a  self propelled mower are they hard to use back and forth in tight areas or do they have reverse ?

#9 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Guess this is a dumb question but I've never even used a  self propelled mower are they hard to use back and forth in tight areas or do they have reverse ?

No reverse drive but when the drive control is released the mower should roll backwards freely. Reading online reviews, it sounds like a lot of mowers don't do that properly. Actually my current walk behind has quite a bit of belt drag when pulling backwards.
  • Alc said thank you