#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I know I haven't posted for awhile but here's my latest build. Made this Bucket Grapple for my Massey Sub Compact . We've had  quite a few trees die plus a bunch have gotten blown over in the wind. Seeing that it was so wet most of this summer I just have been throwing the branches etc: into the edge of the bush.So seeing that I was wanting to clean things up I figured I'd make a Grapple that would fit onto the Bucket of my tractor.The Grapple is powered by a cheap winch,I would have made it Hydralic but I would have had to buy a control and cylinder plus do a bunch of plumbing. Just figured that the winch would do the trick and was only $ 50. Once I get all the brush cleared etc: I'll just take it all off and if there's a need for it again It'll be ready to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• GC 2300 grapple 012 (Small).jpg
  • GC 2300 grapple 011 (Small).jpg
  • GC 2300 grapple 007 (Small).jpg
  • GC 2300 grapple 004 (Small).jpg
  • GC 2300 grapple 003 (Small).jpg
  • GC 2300 grapple 002 (Small).jpg

• KennyP, sacsr and Bmerf have said thanks

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Great build! Very clever use of winch.

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Wow thats great!difference in a thinker and parts changer!!!

• sacsr said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Looks like the best $50 improvement one could slap on the loader to me.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:56 AM

That looks very handy!

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 06:03 AM

Very nice. I was looking at the small pics and couldn't figure out how you got it to give pressure in both directions. Very clever to use 2 cables to get pull in both directions of winch rotation! Nice build and a very useful attachment. 

• sacsr said thank you

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the comments .The winch had me baffled for a bit but really it was simple. I looked and tried to figure out how to get it to work right.The cable wraps around the winch drum 4 wraps.The cable was about 3 feet long so its set about half way through the drum so that there's cable sticking out from the bottom and cable out from the top,As the winch turns it pulls the top cable in and the bottom cable goes out,reverse direction and bottom cable in and top cable out.  Could have done more but not really nessesary For a couple hrs I tried different confirgurations of the hook up for the cable and couldn't figure it out. The cable always ended up either getting to short on the bottom and to long on the top. I finally got upset enough that I went into the house for a cup of coffee and while sitting having coffee it came to me. Rather then running the cable from the winch drum Bottom to bottom and top to top.I ran the cable from the top of the winch drum around the bottom of the pipe then ran the cable from the bottom of the winch drum around the top of the pipe.This way it keeps the cable pretty much even and I don't get hardly any slack in the cable anymore. All I have to do yet is to extend the wires a bit because there a bit short ,but as you see it works and holds the bush in the bucket so that I can pick it up and haul it to the pile without having to get off the seat. [Oh lazy me ] lol

• KennyP said thank you