• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 rrmeidl OFFLINE  

rrmeidl
  • Member No: 12759
  • 33 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Most 301's have fuel pumps, yours must be very old. It's usually mounted right under the carb. Is there a plate covering the hole under the carb?

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#32 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Most 301's have fuel pumps, yours must be very old. It's usually mounted right under the carb. Is there a plate covering the hole under the carb?

Yes it did have the plate, it is in a closed sided Ford LGT which puts it between 77-83 ish. I never ran the serial number to pin it down. 

#33 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 07, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Ok just to clarify , gas tank and no fuel pump are stock. I pulled the fuel line at the carb and  gas at the carb ,checked bowl again and needle moves freely with float.  Added couple gallons gas and tried again. also pulled high idle/ fuel mixture screw out to 2-1/2 turns and it runs.   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Adjusted high and low to where it runs good. Maiden voyage was a success ! :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

I am going to take Ben up on the fuel pump though, the 14 &16 hp have them.

Thanks everybody for your help. Tom

2-1/2 turns? I do not think that I have ever had a carb'd engine (mower, GT, outboard, car, anything) that required 2-1/2 turns out from seated.  On most everything I do, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns from seated seems to be a good starting point to start fine tuning from. Most engines I have had pass thru here are way rich if they run at all that many turns out.

And on the factory - listed  settings on ANYTHING; those are just starting points, meant to get you running/ and the idea is to fine tune from there, NOT meant as a hard and fast "gotta be exactly there" type of thing.

#34 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Dodge, thats how got it to prime. It is now set at 1-1/4 turns, where it runs just fine. Tom

#35 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 09:34 PM

still trying to figure out why everyone says that a M12/K301  "12 HP" Kohler should have a #26 carb when both of mine came to me with #30s? 

The one on my Woods ZTR runs just fine with it, a Walbro to boot.    ( My other one is the same exact spec number, but this one came to me with a Carter-- just finishing a complete overhaul on that engine, have yet to hear that one run. This engine came off of another identical Woods ZTR) So far the one with the Walbro seems to do just fine, though I have a 2nd, Carter #30 carb, going together as a backup "just in case"

all I have had to do to that Walbro is to occasionally drain the water out of the carb bowl and other times do a quickie "on engine" rebuild, as in pull the bowl and mixture screws and shoot some Gumout into every passage and bleed hole that I can see, reassemble, adjust out, and go mowing....

Edited by dodge trucker, April 08, 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#36 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 08, 2015 - 11:13 PM

most K241 (10hp) and K301 (12hp) should have a Carter #26 or a Walbro #52

the Carter #30 carb and Walbro #60 were made for K321 (14hp) or K341 (16hp)

The Walbro #52 and #60 are have both low and high adjustable jets - and also the low idle setting - just like the Carter carbs have.

I do not know what Walbro that has the fixed jet.  I have now used are seen one, that I know of.

Having a Carter #30 or Walbro #60 on a K241 or K301 will get more air and fuel.

I tried a Walbro #60 on a K301 and had a hard time trying to keep the rpms under 3600,  it wanted to run around 4000 rpms.

put a Carter #26 on the K301 and now I can keep the rpms under 3600 rpms.

With the air tube from the blower housing to the air filter housing it acts like a mini blower on the motor,  pushing more air into the carb.  If you set the low idle jet and the high idle jet with out the air filter housing on and make the adjustment to get the motor to smooth out and run at certain rpms.  Then put the air filter housing on, it will run different.  Now more air is coming into the carb and you need to make the adjustments again.  The changes some are minor, but there is a different.  The reason is without the air filter housing on - the motor acts like a vacuum.  With the air filter housing on - now the blades of the flywheel are pushing air into the air filter housing.  Not a true vacuum.

• limebuzz and TomLGT195 have said thanks