35 replies to this topic

#16 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 07:57 PM

That is a gravity feed setup, and it shouldn't be that way.

The engine will run if you fill the fuel tank up full, so that the liquid level is higher than the carburetor.  As it burns the fuel, it might siphon enough out of the tank to keep running.  I have seen it happen but the right conditions have to be there.  You will loose power since it will be running lean. 

You really need to put on a fuel pump, the block off plate is there below the carburetor.  Your engine will not run right until you do.  I sell the right replacement fuel pump kits for $65 apiece. 

Ben W.

• LilysDad and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#17 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:03 PM

I was just guessing ,not familiar at all with this engine or tractor..still learning for the most part,so there is a vacuum in the bowl that draws in the gas?

No, there is no vacuum in the bowl.
This system has no fuel pump. The weight of the gas in the tank forces the fuel through the system until the float raises and shuts the needle.
Having too little gas in the tank means no pressure to force the gas through the hoses and filter.

Joe
  • TomLGT195 and Auburn David have said thanks

#18 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:04 PM

The bowl on the carb is gravity feed from the looks of the pic you posted.  Not sure what brand that carb is but if it is a Walbro there will be "Walbro" stamped in the top side of the carb towards the front of the tractor.  Walbros have two adjustments, Carter/Kohler have 3.  The Walbro I had was lean no matter what I did to rebuild it.

I junked my Walbro as well.

#19 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:12 PM

You could try unscrewing the mixture screw out the whole way on the top middle of carb.That is what allows the fuel in the engine.Count the turns as you unscrew it and when you reassemble it thread it in that many times.When you have it out spray it with carb or brake cleaner to clean the varnish off.I had this happen to me and it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out.It had fuel in tank,carb was clean,and needle,seat,and float were fine.Give that a try and let us know.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#20 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Have you download the Kohler manual from the manual section on this site?

it will help a lot

here are the setting for a carb

carb settings.png

• Trav1s and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Don't worry about the carb until you are sure that gas is getting to the carb. I just went downstairs and checked my LGT125 open side. There isn't a fuelpump on it. I'd suspect the filter at the bottom of the tank, the fuel lines(old ones swell shut), or the filter. Good Luck, Rick

• Trav1s, superaben and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#22 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 12:01 AM

Don't worry about the carb until you are sure that gas is getting to the carb. I just went downstairs and checked my LGT125 open side. There isn't a fuelpump on it. I'd suspect the filter at the bottom of the tank, the fuel lines(old ones swell shut), or the filter. Good Luck, Rick

I did a quick search on the internet looking for for "ford lgt 125 gas tank" and all the ones I could find had the gas tank on top of the motor.

Is it possible the gas tank was replaced or re-assembled with the gas tank mounted lower on the frame?

Looking at the picture (I could be wrong), but it looks like gas has to want to flow up-wards to go from the tank to the carburetor.

EDIT:  Found a picture of a LGT 165 with a similar gas tank.  Looking at the pictures, it appeared to have a fuel pump.

Edited by motobreeder, September 07, 2014 - 12:06 AM.

• Auburn David said thank you

#23 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I guess if I had this problem I would remove the float bowl and put a jar or something to catch the gas in and turn on the petcock and see if fuel is flowing out of the needle seat. If not take fuel line off carb and turn on fuel if you have gas flow it is plugged  in the fuel inlet of carb. Unscrew the gas line nipple on the carb and see if there is any crud built up in there. Easy place for crud to build up. The hole in the needle seat is really small and doesn't take much to plug it up. Just keep going backwards toward fuel tank until you find problem. Looks like that set up should have a fuel pump but if you keep the gas on the full side should have no problems.

Edited by Kyocum, September 07, 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#24 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:37 AM

That is a gravity feed setup, and it shouldn't be that way.

The engine will run if you fill the fuel tank up full, so that the liquid level is higher than the carburetor.  As it burns the fuel, it might siphon enough out of the tank to keep running.  I have seen it happen but the right conditions have to be there.  You will loose power since it will be running lean.

You really need to put on a fuel pump, the block off plate is there below the carburetor.  Your engine will not run right until you do.  I sell the right replacement fuel pump kits for $65 apiece. 

Ben W.

i think I'm gonna upgrade to a pump, didn't come stock but it won't hurt. I'll pm you later  Thanks Tom

• superaben said thank you

#25 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:43 AM

Ok just to clarify , gas tank and no fuel pump are stock. I pulled the fuel line at the carb and  gas at the carb ,checked bowl again and needle moves freely with float.  Added couple gallons gas and tried again. also pulled high idle/ fuel mixture screw out to 2-1/2 turns and it runs.   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Adjusted high and low to where it runs good. Maiden voyage was a success ! :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

I am going to take Ben up on the fuel pump though, the 14 &16 hp have them.

Thanks everybody for your help. Tom

• Trav1s, boyscout862, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#26 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Try shorting up the fuel line. On my LGT 100 I had the hanging down like that to make was a nice looking fuel line run. On it would start OK & run 10 to 30 minutes then lose power eventually shut down. I would drop the float bowl & find no fuel, but fuel would start run out at a trickle. Removed the fuel line from carb with it hanging down a full stream, but as I raised back toward the carb the amount of flow started slowing down. I made the fuel line closer to a straight run now I can run the fuel tank dry with no more fuel problems. 

Charlie

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#27 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 06:12 PM

one other thought was to raise gas tank, put it on blocks. there is room under hood for this, the 145 &165  use a larger tank so that might help.

#28 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 08:27 AM

I would shorten the fuel line a bit and see if that improves starting.  Glad to hear it is running.  Nothing better than a k301 in my book but a k181 is a very close 2nd. 

#29 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 05:05 PM

yup as shown the outlet on the tank is below the carb inlet, gas will not flow above its own level, as it sits I'd guess it would run until the gas was about 1/3 full then act like it was out of gas. Either need a pump or to raise the tank higher

The length of the line isn't the issue if the outlet of the tank is high enough it will still flow. (but in this case tank is too low)

Edited by dodge trucker, September 14, 2014 - 05:06 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#30 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted April 04, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Here's an update. I purchased an aftermarket fuel pump from Ben AKA; superaben; Old Paths Equipment in the fall. I finally took the tractor out of the shed ( snow issues) and installed the pump. After making a few adjustments, turning the top cover around, fuel flow direction, it starts right up every time. No more cranking till the fuel gets up there.

Thank everyone for the suggestions and Ben for the great price and service. Tom

hera's a pic of the installation.

IMG_1255.jpg

• KennyP said thank you