• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,694 Thanks
  • 28,341 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 12:22 AM

About 12 years ago, I got a 19.2 kit for Christmas. It was new on the market and has been one of the best gifts I've received. It's now in my son's possession and being used still. The replacement set I purchased about six months ago and have been exceptionally happy with the purchase so far.
It impact gun is powerful enough to do what I need on a daily basis, the drill is smooth and controllable, the saws work as intended and the batteries hold a lot of power for their size.

The lithium ion batteries were something I tried to avoid because my first 19.2 Lion wasn't a very good example, but this series has real power. If it does trip the over current, the reset is very quick and the charge time is shorter than I expected.

I know it's not a commercial quality set, but I use it at work every day. I work on appliances and install TV's and this set has exceeded my expectations to date.

The flash lite was something of a bonus, I really didnt pay it any heed when I bought the kit, but it has a phenomenal amount of light from one LED and I use it as a spot light. It's actually brighter than the headlights on my car by a long shot. The only modification needed was a wrap of black tape around the side to keep the light from shining back at you off the lens. The reciprocating saw hasn't been used much yet, but I've had one just like it before and it has been a powerhouse, I expect the same from this one.

Also, because of my boss instituting a program of tool replacement allowance, I was able to afford a companion set.
The impact driver has even more torque than the Ingersol Rand Air Impact we have had for years and the grinder (while not having the RPM's of a corded unit) is exceptionally handy and has plenty of power too.

With the addition of some of the tools from my previous kit (saber saw and right angle drill specifically) I am able to put the right tools for almost any job in the work van in just a few minutes. What I do isn't hard on tools, but I expect a lot of them when pull them out and if they don't preform, I'm not happy. These are able to do the job with ease and by waiting for sales, coupons and the kick in from boss, I didnt break the bank.

All in all, I would say this is my best buy for the year so far and I would suggest these to anyone looking for a well made, reasonably priced tool system.
  • Bill56, daytime dave, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,321 Thanks
  • 3,744 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 03:51 AM

I enjoy my my Craftsman drill. I know that it is more a homeowner version than a contractor. But for the price, they sure are handy. Years back we had tried them on the construction crew. And they didn't hold up at all, guess we were to hard on our tools.

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 05:46 AM

I like my Craftsman too. Just have the 19.2 drill. Seems to work pretty good. I used to work maintenance at a distribution center for one of the home center chains. We used all different brands of cordless tools. They all held up pretty well. I guess, if I had the dollars to spend, Bosch would be my choice.
One downfall, regardless of brand, was the higher voltage tools. Lots of power, but in longer use periods they didn't have enough cooling capacity for the motors. We had plenty of tools, so we would just trade off to another one when they heated up.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,042 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I like my Hitachi I got 2 years ago! Plenty of power for the job it does.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 06:01 AM

I've had a lot of different brands over the years, some good and some bad. Over that time, in general the biggest problem has been battery issues. I recently picked up an 18V Milwaukee drill and driver set. I bought them because of experience with an older drill and with advice from my brother who is an electrical contractor. They go through a lot of drills and have been using Milwaukee for a while now. A friend gave me a 18v that was being retired. I cleaned it up and used it for 3 or 4 years, beating it pretty bad at times, with a wire wheel on it etc. It's still going strong. I gave it to our church. That's mostly why I bought a new one. That one just won't quit and both batteries still work. Personal experience is the best gauge and if you find something that works for you then stick with it. I got burned on a Ridgid drill. The drill and batteries failed multiple times during the 3 year warranty and the "lifetime" warranty isn't worth much when there is no repair depot nearby. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 07:21 AM

I too use milwaukee, but sears makes a good product for those who don't use them hard everyday. Bosch can be pricey but in cordless drills they hold up pretty good too.

All companies make a decent cordless now ,as long as you stay away from knock offs and one time special deals( those are usually made specific for the client with cheap parts). Two of the best advances are; lithium ion batteries( great weight savings and better charge time turn around), and the brushless models ( they have better power for a lot smaller size). We use these type now at work. less fatigue on our wrists and more run time during the day.

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 06:43 PM

I've only had three models in over 30 years of construction. First it was the old Makita 9 & 6 volt then just recently retired my Porter Cable 19.2, now have the new Makita 18 volt lithium ion. I bought my Dad a complete set of the Sears several years ago for father's day & still going strong.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 09:35 AM

I bought a set of Makita cordless a year or so at a garage sale for $15.(he was asking $20 and I talked him down)  I got a couple of batteries off ebay and have been very happy with their performance.  The only thing that bugs me is the impact driver is missing the little spring clip that clips on the end of the drive to hold the socket on.  I went to a Makita repair place and he was supposed to get one but never did.  :wallbanging:  Guess I'll look on line.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 01:39 PM

the impact driver is missing the little spring clip that clips on the end of the drive to hold the socket on.  I went to a Makita repair place and he was supposed to get one but never did.  :wallbanging:  Guess I'll look on line.

HERE is a place to order Makita parts Bill.

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:17 AM

A few years ago I bought a 19.2 C3 drill it works well for the things that I needed it for. since then I have added to the C3 collection , added a 1/2 impact, and a 1/4 impact plus a 5 1/4 skill saw.....it all works flawlessly.