4 replies to this topic

#1 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I have a 1994 John Deere 425 with the Kawasaki FD620D engine.  I have owned it for a little over a year and it has about 740 hours.  I mow 3+ acres with it.  When I got it I replaced all fluids and filters, and I've put about 100 hours on it.  Last year it ran flawlessly through some pretty demanding work.

This spring it started acting up.  When I hit a bump it would start to die and then recover.  I found that the red wire to the starter solenoid was a little loose.  I clamped down the terminal end a bit on the wire and that seemed to help for a while.  But then the problem returned and got worse.  It would run pretty good...but not as smooth as it used to...for a while (maybe 30 minutes) and then start sputtering.  Worse on bumpy terrain, but not exclusive to that.  It was also running hotter.  Not in the red, but definitely higher in the green than I ever saw it get last year.  I searched forums and found some people describing similar troubles, and the two common culprits seemed to be the Time Delay Module and the thermostat.  I replaced the Time Delay Module and it didn't fix the problem (but the tractor does shut down more smoothly now).  Yesterday I replaced the thermostat with a Hypertech 1003 160 degree thermostat, and I flushed and replaced the coolant.  That seems to have helped some, and for a while the tractor ran as smoothly as I remember it running last year.  The temperature gauge stayed in the lower 10-20% of the green area.  After half an hour or so the temperature started climbing noticeably, but the tractor still ran fine.  I finished mowing the area I was in, shut off the PTO, and lowered the throttle to half while I drove back to the shop.  Shortly after I lowered the throttle it started sputtering.  If I raised the throttle to full it was fine, and if I just sat with it at half or lower it was fine, but if I tried to drive the tractor with the throttle at less than half or so, it sputtered and nearly died.

One other note...I have the air cleaner indicator gauge on it, and it shows a normal reading.  The air filter cover says not to disturb it if the gauge reading is good, but I opened it up anyway.  There was a ton of dust in there, which I cleaned out.  That was about a month ago.  As with other attempts, it seemed to help a little but didn't solve the problem.

Anyone have any good ideas for me?  Just wanted to do what I could before I take it to the dealer.  I thought it might be difficult for them to troubleshoot since you have to mow with it for a while before the trouble starts to show up.

Thanks for the help!

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Lean condition will lead to overheating - have you cleaned/rebuilt the carb?

• whitefishblues said thank you

#3 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I haven't yet.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks!

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 08:26 AM

From my experience, when ignition systems get hot, they tend to loose effectiveness and when the engine is loaded, will start to miss.

What you can try:

Replace the spark plug(s) and gap correctly

Check to make sure that all ground wires are clean and well connected to a known ground

Inspect plug leads for cracking and deterioration 

Run a dedicated ground wire from the negative post on the battery to the ignition modules main ground

• sacsr and whitefishblues have said thanks

#5 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I think cleaning the carb did the trick.  It took a while to get it done.  The three screws holding the air filter mounting plate on the carb were stuck on there pretty good.  I ended up buying a ratcheting screwdriver that you hit with a hammer and it worked beautifully.  The carburetor had just a little debris in the corner opposite the fuel inlet, but there did seem to be something obstructing the tiny tube attached to the jet at the top.  I got it put back together and ran it for half an hour or so in some pretty tall grass.  The temperature stayed pretty constant and it ran great.  

Thanks again for the help!!!

• sacsr and Trav1s have said thanks