Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:34 PM

A friend gave me this idea for outside plant markers , old kitty litter pails cut the middle out with circular saw w/plywood blade mounted backwards , then tin snips to strips. I use a " china marker " to write on them because it doesn't wash off outside , even Sharpies fade if out long enough.DSC07526.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 10:32 PM

interesting way to do it opposed to the regular stakes. usually we just use scraps of wood we have around, anything free cause the bottom will start to rot eventually. plastic is good except when you hit it with a tiller and it gets chewed lol

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 07:46 AM

A friend gave me this idea for outside plant markers , old kitty litter pails cut the middle out with circular saw w/plywood blade mounted backwards , then tin snips to strips. I use a " china marker " to write on them because it doesn't wash off outside , even Sharpies fade if out long enough.[ATTACH=CONFIG]10363[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing the info.
Looks like a good idea

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:00 AM

It is a good idea, especially if you have cats and already purchase the pails anyway. I don't think it would be too cost effective if you didn't have cats though. For those that don't have cats what about using the old detergent bottles? I know you might not get as many strips out of a detergent bottle but they are free after the wife is finished with them LOL

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Using detergent bottle would work great on my seed trays , easy to cut to size , right now I use Popsicle sticks with the china marker

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:38 AM

You know what works great? Strips from window blinds... you may even be able to steal a few if your blinds are too long. Or go buy a cheap one and have markers for life!

Be a nice guy and adjust those blinds that are too long and you can keep all the ones you remove!

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Now I'll have to keep an eye open for mini blinds at the garage sales !!!!

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 08:43 AM

You know what works great? Strips from window blinds... you may even be able to steal a few if your blinds are too long. Or go buy a cheap one and have markers for life!

Be a nice guy and adjust those blinds that are too long and you can keep all the ones you remove!

That is a great idea, plus they are already at a good width and would only need to be cut to length. Just remove every other strip from the wife's favorite blind LOL

#9 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:38 AM

I found that a 3x5 card with the layout of the garden box or area I'm planting with the seed name in the right area worked better for me. It doesn't fade and I keep it with my seed and garden supplies in the shed or house.
Alc, your idea is pretty neat. It re-uses a household item. Good for you. I'll look for a "china marker"

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 01:21 PM

all great ideas!Except the one of removing every other slat from the wifes blinds. My guess is one would never hear the gun go off.
Anything to reuse those items that take up space in the trash. My family goes through detergent like it's going out of style, so I'll probably go that route.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Hey,great idea.

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 04:24 PM

No need to remove every other one... Most blinds are too long and you can remove the extra and re-tie the bottom bar back on. I always "fit" the blinds to a window like this, I don't like it when there is so much "extra" on the end. I can't remember where I saw that tip, but I just saw it recently.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 16, 2011 - 10:04 PM

I liked all the different ideas , picked up some index cards , and going to cut up some plastic bottles for when I'm starting seeds in flats. Thanks, Al

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Thanks again for this tip FirefyterEmt , I got some plastic mini blinds and made a batch of plant markers tonight and they worked great !!! Al

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:23 PM

Yep, and I think they are easier to write on than the store bought ones too! (as long as you wipe the dust off!)