#1 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Bidding on some wheel weight on e-bay but they seem to be selling high. What should a person expect to pay for them? :confuse:
I figured less that $100 but that aint gonna happen the way it's looking.

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Most of the weights that I have watched went for $125 sometimes a little more. The price of shipping adds to the cost. Are the weights actual Bolens weights,with the name on the side ? That also adds to the value.

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:06 PM

12", 50# JD weights sell fro $125-$150 pretty regularly anymore! ~~ grnspot110
  • Meangreen said thank you

#4 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Most of the weights that I have watched went for $125 sometimes a little more. The price of shipping adds to the cost. Are the weights actual Bolens weights,with the name on the side ? That also adds to the value.

All the sets I have bid on look like generic plain weights, yeah shipping is a killer when I add it to the price of the weights.

#5 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:23 PM

All the sets I have bid on look like generic plain weights, yeah shipping is a killer when I add it to the price of the weights.

I've been watching weights for the Bolens and must have had a :brain_fart: and not even saw the nice John Deere in your avatar. But most of the weights I check seem to sell in the price already posted. Even saw one listing last week for a Massey weight for just one side of the tractor.

#6 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:35 PM

I've been watching weights for the Bolens and must have had a :brain_fart: and not even saw the nice John Deere in your avatar. But most of the weights I check seem to sell in the price already posted. Even saw one listing last week for a Massey weight for just one side of the tractor.

LOL, Just wanting to add weight to the rear so it doesn't matter what it says on them, a few minutes with a grinder and all is good :bounce:

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:36 PM

I have seen them for a while... It would be nice to buy them, use one to make a mold from, and have a foundry make you 6 more chunks. That way you would have two sets (inside & outside mounting)

One of these days it would be nice to see how much it would cost per section to have a foundry cast them.

Although, the other hand is getting free, or close to free wheel weight lead and make a mold to pour lead wheel weights which would be heavier.

#8 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:39 PM

LOL, Just wanting to add weight to the rear so it doesn't matter what it says on them, a few minutes with a grinder and all is good :bounce:

BUT, if they have Bolen's on them I will contact you b4 I fire up the grinder :orangecool:

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:50 PM

I have seen them for a while... It would be nice to buy them, use one to make a mold from, and have a foundry make you 6 more chunks. That way you would have two sets (inside & outside mounting)

One of these days it would be nice to see how much it would cost per section to have a foundry cast them.

Although, the other hand is getting free, or close to free wheel weight lead and make a mold to pour lead wheel weights which would be heavier.

I'm actually going to try to cast some in lead myself, at some point. Working on getting the stuff I need to do it, and they wont say anything on them.

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:02 PM

As long as you work safe, it's fun to work with. I melded down and cast a 225lb rear weight box this fall for my Massey. For the large stuff like this, I used a freon tank and our fire pit in the back yard. I am debating building a "drum-forge" this year to make it easy to melt down.

My thought is that if I take a few sheets of plywood and glue / screw them together, then use my lathe to shape out a mold for a wheel weight. Ideally, I would need the mold to last more than one pour, but I may have to make two. It would be great to have the fore thought to set it up so that I can make them fit on my lathe to clean up after the pour. Although, I "could" do that on the tractor I guess!

Although, this shows great hope! My neighbor has some factory wheel weights for his Massey that I could use. I did not know you could sand cast lead! I may have to look into this! If I could re-create a plaster mold of his wheel weight, I could make more of these weights! The best part is the Massey design will fit any 12" wheel on the inside or outside of the rim.

Smelting & Casting - A WebsiteBuilder Website

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:15 PM

As long as you work safe, it's fun to work with. I melded down and cast a 225lb rear weight box this fall for my Massey. For the large stuff like this, I used a freon tank and our fire pit in the back yard. I am debating building a "drum-forge" this year to make it easy to melt down.

My thought is that if I take a few sheets of plywood and glue / screw them together, then use my lathe to shape out a mold for a wheel weight. Ideally, I would need the mold to last more than one pour, but I may have to make two. It would be great to have the fore thought to set it up so that I can make them fit on my lathe to clean up after the pour. Although, I "could" do that on the tractor I guess!

Although, this shows great hope! My neighbor has some factory wheel weights for his Massey that I could use. I did not know you could sand cast lead! I may have to look into this! If I could re-create a plaster mold of his wheel weight, I could make more of these weights! The best part is the Massey design will fit any 12" wheel on the inside or outside of the rim.

Smelting & Casting - A WebsiteBuilder Website

thats interesting, and cool on the weight box

#12 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Cool link :orangecool:

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Lead Casting - Metal Casting Forum - Metal Casting Zone | Metal Casting DIY | Home Casting

I just found this too! I think this is a very real possiability to use my neighbors Massey wheel weights as a mold to cast some from lead.

#14 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Woo Hoooo I won, $147.50 + shipping. Still seems way too high to me but I have no will power when it comes to my GT's...

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 09:26 PM

Woo Hoooo I won, $147.50 + shipping. Still seems way too high to me but I have no will power when it comes to my GT's...

You're weak man...weak! :bigrofl: But, if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!:thumbs: