• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 06:29 PM

You need a buddy so both spots can be hit at the same time.

• DougT said thank you

#17 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 05:26 AM

With Spectracide you just spray the out side good then go inside and spray them. They will drop to the ground instantly and die any missed will die as they touch the nest. Should be totally clean in 24 hours. 

:D   Al

• DougT said thank you

#18 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 04:40 PM

A little gas down the hole and then the flame thrower (aka brake clean and bic). Woosh.
I bought some of the spectracide last night for my nest in the building since the pyrotechnics won't work there. I like the brake cleaner and the bic for eradicatiion. There's nothing like a giant fireball to keep them away from you. ?

I tried that once or twice with very little results. I don't like playing with gasoline & fire anyway. The malathion seem to work some, but in going to try the seven dust

#19 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 05:23 PM

I wonder if the seven dust would work with the huge so called bee killers that nest in the ground? I've never been stung, but they are a pest. They all but took over the garden last year. They look like a giant hornet.

I wouldn't worry about them. They aren't really a threat to you unless you provoke them. I work around them all the time at work, they like to dig their nests in the sides of bunkers. The first time I saw one I was surprised but after that I can be right next to one with out bothering it.

#20 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 05:37 PM

It's not fun trying to pick beans with hundreds of them buzzing you.
Got into a nest of yellow jackets once when a water tank rolled down hill over them. That stirred them up, then when I went to retrieve tank they were in a bad mood & took it out on me. Lost a pair of prescription glasses I later found with metal detector
  • LilysDad said thank you

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,501 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Ironic, these two thread on these wasps came up, my BIL sent us a pic of a big next behinds his MIL's house....I'll probably have to help remove it. 

#22 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I took care of my problem last night. With cool weather and a plan of attack they didn't stand a chance.

Al, How long will this last and be toxic on the floor of the building? Just wondering when it will be safe to move the dog back. I've seen that big dummy lick the floor before and don't know if she'll do it with the spectracide or not.

#23 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 05:44 AM

That is some thing you should probably ask Spectracide, use the link I posted to their web site.  Were it me though I would use a 4:1 ratio of bleach in soapy water and mop the floor. My dog is as much a part of the family as my wife. The dog doesn't give me the grief either. 

:D   Al

• DougT said thank you