• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Bald faced hornets are really a wasp and related to the Yellow jacket a wasp also, NOT A BEE. They do have a beneficial value as long as they are not in and area where people work or play.

I don't know for sure how much I have made removing the buggers form peoples yards and such.

Easy to get rid of if you take the time to study the nest and use the right stuff at the right time.

First off they usually have a hole near the bottom of the nest for a entrance. Once it gets so dark you can just see that hole they should pretty much all be inside. spray in that entrance hole and work as close as you can to soak the nest totally.

Then use this product.

This is what I use and is all I will even consider using. I charge $250.00 to do the deed for those afraid to do it them selves. I want to do the job right the first time and no call backs.

Spectracide PRO Wasp and Hornet Killer

Spectracide PRO Wasp and Hornet Killer is designed to kill wasps, hornets and yellow jackets and eliminate their nests. It provides an effective solution to eliminating dangerous stinging insects from a safe distance with a jet spray that reaches nests up to 20 ft. away. It kills the entire nest and keeps on killing returning insects for up to 4 weeks.

• Dielectric breakdown voltage of 47,300 volts
  • Jet spray reaches nests up to 20 feet away
  • Kills on contact; fast knockdown
  • Contact kills for up to 4 weeks if not washed away

Their web site has a dealer locator.
http://www.spectraci....et-Killer.aspx

20090714_0088.jpg

A trespasser who was stupid also ruined the floor of my deer blind shooting this nest of dead wasps. All the workers die in the fall after a frost. The queen will hibernate some place in the winter. I find them a lot cutting winter fire wood dead Ash behind the bark.

smallhornetsnest.jpg

This method and product works on yellow jackets also.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, September 04, 2014 - 08:02 AM.

• MH81, hamman, HDWildBill and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, I've had to eliminate 5 different nests in the last 2 weeks. A yellow jacket nest in the ground(under a log I picked up), a white faced nest on the bucket of my AC trackloader, 2 black wasp nests in tractor attachments, and a ground nest of wasps that are smaller than yellow jackets and have brown stripes. I was using Shoofly until I ran out. Now I was trying Raid. I shoot them first thing in the morning just as its getting light. I figure with the 51d temp they stay inside for a while. I'll look for the other Spectracide. Good Luck, Rick

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Al!  This was very timely.  I just blasted a nest last nite.  I had my son back in the woodlot behind my shop, planning to tinker with the Gardener I need to find a new home for, and realized I was working beneath a nest of BFH's!  Last year a small nest (softball size?) was built beneath my back porch, and those babies were vicious!  As soon as I was near enough to see the cone, they would take up pursuit of the intruder (me).  This go-round, the nest is about the size of a basketball, and I was nearly within arm's reach before noticing it, and they did not seem to mind me.  They built it fast...I passed this small tree dozens of times over two evenings last week on my loader tractor, moving sand, and cannot imagine I missed it.

As you say, a hole was near the bottom, on the backside, and my weapon of choice was Spectracide, but it doesn't say 'Pro'...hopefully it did the job...it sure did last year. 

http://www.menards.c...222-c-14248.htm

20140828_184408.jpg

20140828_184418.jpg20140828_184425.jpg

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I found a nest the size of a basketball high up in a tree by the house last spring. It was on a thin branch so I used a paintball marker to shoot the nest down. Since I'm a bad shot, the balls went through the nest multiple times. That told me no one was home, so I hit it a few more times from a distance away. 

#5 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 119 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 03:09 PM

One puff of sevin powder in the hole and they will be gone the next day.they all track it in and it kills them all.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 06:45 PM

One puff of sevin powder in the hole and they will be gone the next day.they all track it in and it kills them all.

So put some Sevin powder in a pellet rifle barrel, then blast it into the hole!  Note....clean barrel afterwards.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I have two in a tree out front.  One big one (as in probably 18 inch diameter) and one little one next door, about the size of a volley ball. 

I am not afraid of much.

But I am afraid of them.

When I encounter them playing with old equipment, the best stuff is 2+2 carb cleaner.   They die fast, and that's the way I like it.

Ben W.

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Brake clean works too. Noel

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 09:57 PM

I have good success with Spectracide.  We seem to get 3-4 nests a year around the house and coop.

#10 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 04:22 AM

:deadhorse:  Not to be beating the dead horse, I think it is so funny how those little tiny stinging insects make 250 pound MEN run screaming like little girls. Most don't want to get with in 20 feet of the nest so I just can't see very many using sevan dust in the entrance hole. When you compare the cost of the brake cleaner and carb cleaner per can it is costlier not to mention out right flameable.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,486 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:10 AM

:deadhorse:  Not to be beating the dead horse, I think it is so funny how those little tiny stinging insects make 250 pound MEN run screaming like little girls. Most don't want to get with in 20 feet of the nest so I just can't see very many using sevan dust in the entrance hole. When you compare the cost of the brake cleaner and carb cleaner per can it is costlier not to mention out right flameable.

Those miniature flame throwers do a pretty good job though!

I use the Spectracide also! Get the Black cans of it at Lowes! Not many hornets around here, mostly Red Wasp. They are aggressive suckers.

#12 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Brake clean works too. Noel

Also WD40.
  • propane1 said thank you

#13 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I wonder if the seven dust would work with the huge so called bee killers that nest in the ground? I've never been stung, but they are a pest. They all but took over the garden last year. They look like a giant hornet.

#14 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:11 PM

I wonder if the seven dust would work with the huge so called bee killers that nest in the ground? I've never been stung, but they are a pest. They all but took over the garden last year. They look like a giant hornet.

I don't bother them "Cicada Killers", they eat a lot of other bugs!  ~~  Lowell

• farmerall said thank you

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 06:27 PM

A little gas down the hole and then the flame thrower (aka brake clean and bic). Woosh.

cost of the brake cleaner and carb cleaner per can it is costlier not to mention out right flameable.

I bought some of the spectracide last night for my nest in the building since the pyrotechnics won't work there. I like the brake cleaner and the bic for eradicatiion. There's nothing like a giant fireball to keep them away from you. The spectracide was about a dollar more a can than the brake clean so not a lot of difference there. I don't think the brake cleaner kills long term like the other though.

The nest I've got in my building has the giant hole in the bottom and also a hole through the siding. There are always 4 on guard at the hole outside the building and the nest is covered with them inside even at night. I'm thinking the first attack should be through the hole with a straw on the brake clean. Maybe have the straw through a piece of duct tape and go right to the building and cover the hole with the tape and blast away. I'd have to be quick to kill the 4 with one can while I stick a second one in the hole. OR.......do I just use the spectr on the inside and hope the ones that escape outside come back and die later?