9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 11:59 AM

I bought 8.9 acres in December. 5 acres of which has been in field corn.
The Farmer who had farmed it has yet to get in touch with me about farming it next summer. If he does not I will have to reseed that 5 acres in grass.
I have a JD 318 and have found 3 sections of tooth harrow along the back fence.
I grew up with traditional farming practices and thought seed bed preperation consisted of Running a disc Harrow over the corn stalks, and then harrowing before planting seed and then harrowing the seed in.
Since I don't own a disc harrow I'm wondering if the tooth harrow ould be sufficent?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 12:42 PM

We use a seed drill for grasses. With all the corn residue, I think a tooth harrow will do little to nothing to get the seed into the ground. Plus broadcasting the seed requires much more seed due to lower germination rate. If you want to go back to grass and don't intend to rent out the land for crop again, then I recommend using a disc to smooth up the ground, then rent a grain/seed drill to get a good stand of grass. Also, you may talk to your agronomist, as you may want to also add rye to the grass seed. Rye comes up fast to get a ground cover established, plus helps hold moisture & gives the grass a better environment to get established. It will cost a bit more to do this way, but you will have FAR better results.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:44 PM

That's pretty much what I thought too. Don't have a disc yet, will be looking for one. And am looking for a tiller to fit my 318.
A Perenial Rye was what I had in mind. Had Rye on the 2.5 acres I had 10 yrs ago and it worked well., covered good and did not grow so fast I could not keep it mowed.
Over the course of the next 5 yrs I will turn this into a Truck Farm to subsidize my Retirement(5 yrs off).
But this summer I will be tearing down my old(flood damged home) so will not have as much time to work this place, this summer.
I would prefer to rent it out for a couple years, but have yet to hear from the farmer who was farming it.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:16 PM

sounds like you need to organize a plow day and have a bunch of guys come out with their GT's and plow up your field, someone might even have a disc they can bring and use.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'd likely go over it with a deep tillage cultivator or a plough first, then disc and harrow it. Rod weeders are fun too, but I've never seen one sized for even a large GT. I always enjoyed summer fallowing though, especially after I discovered you could fit a dozen stubbies and a bag of ice into the toolbox of a Deutz. I became a summer fallowing demon when I discovered that.:rocker2:

I'm not sure if a 318 will have enough power for this, but we used to drag the spike harrows behind a deep tillage to help break up the big chunks, then drag the harrows again behind the disc. Like olcowhand we used a seed drill for grasses and I'd again put a harrow behind it in this case.

You should also consider weighting the harrows. That will help break things up. With a GT an old truck rim or two on each section of harrows would likely be the maximum weight you can pull.

If you want to smooth it even more, get some old chain-link fence, weight it with old rims and tires, and drag it around. It seems kind of crude, but it smooths out old hayfields, so it works.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:34 PM

sounds like you need to organize a plow day and have a bunch of guys come out with their GT's and plow up your field, someone might even have a disc they can bring and use.

Chuck, you beat me to it!
I was just gonna say it sounds like one of the the regional GT Plowdays will be held in Newton IA. this year. :rofl2:

#7 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 184 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:54 PM

we did'nt have the money to drill. we had a broad caster mounted on a super c. did a fine job.

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 06:05 PM

We had 2 boards chained up to the disc to drag the land smooth. But that was way back, we didn't have a lot to work with a Super A Farmall. Dad always said it was the best tractor there was for farming strawberries. Where i grew up was the Strawberry capital back then now they have none.

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:23 PM

If you want it plowed having a plow day would be a great way to get er done! We had 17 tractors plowing at our plow day and got close to 20 acres done.

#10 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 10:18 PM

i think a plow day would be a great idea ill be there :)..