Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

No Fuel From Carb To Engine. Intake Valve Issue?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi there,

So I am working on my next project. a Ford LGT 165 Close Sided by Jacobsen. It has a Kohler K341 16HP Engine.

I have completely rebuilt the carb. Clean as a whistle (whistles are probably not very clean and covered with spit though).

All jets are clear and clean. Carb gets fuel to the bowl, but not to the engine. Spark Plug is dry after several cranking attempts.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Could it be my float bowl tab is not adjusted properly? I have checked the bowl to verify fuel is getting there, but maybe there is not enough fuel in the bowl? When I take the bowl off, all of the fuel spills so I don't know the level. The bowl though is level when in the up position, and the needle opens and closes freely.

2. Intake Valve not opening and thus not sucking gas into the engine?

I am seeking your guidance before I move into the next logical step of pulling the head off and examining the condition of the valves and piston.

Thank you in advance for your help.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Try spraying some starter fluid down the intake.  It the engine starts then dies I would say the problem is still in the carb.  If it doesn't then you could have a problem with the intake valve. 

• FilledTires said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Try spraying some starter fluid down the intake.  It the engine starts then dies I would say the problem is still in the carb.

:ditto:

When you say "complete rebuild" did you install all new idle screws plus shafts/ bushings?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:33 PM

If you don't have starter fluid you could even use a little squirt of gas in the carb to see if it fires. An otherwise healthy engine should fire off the gas if it's not getting fuel through the carb. 

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:52 PM

High speed needle not open ??? Try adjusting both high speed and idle needles. Both in snug, not tight, then turn out 2 turns. Should start , then make final adjustments when engine is warmed up. Just a thought. Noel

#6 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:58 PM

:ditto:

When you say "complete rebuild" did you install all new idle screws plus shafts/ bushings?

Yes, main jet screw, idle screw, float needle, pins, etc.

Try spraying some starter fluid down the intake.  It the engine starts then dies I would say the problem is still in the carb.  If it doesn't then you could have a problem with the intake valve. 

Good call. I will try this. I have sprayed started fluid down spark plug whole, and the engine fires fine, but then dies. 

High speed needle not open ??? Try adjusting both high speed and idle needles. Both in snug, not tight, then turn out 2 turns. Should start , then make final adjustments when engine is warmed up. Just a thought. Noel

Did this per the manual, with no success.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:19 PM

You'll know if the intake valve is stuck open, because you will have no compression.  The engine will just spin free.

Kohlers like to start at 1/2 throttle with full choke until it begins to fire, then you need to quickly begin pushing the choke in (assuming all the adjustments are right) to keep it running.

Try the starter fluid trick and see what happens.

Ben W.

• FilledTires and propane1 have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Vent in carb to float bowl plugged ? If bowl can't get air it may not let gas out of the bowl to get to Venturi. Just a thought. Noel
  • superaben and FilledTires have said thanks

#9 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I got it running. Thank you everyone. It turns out I missed cleaning one of the fuel passages in the Carb body.

Now I will move onto the next step to restoring this tractor.

Thanks again!