• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 06:18 PM

That dirt was just rolling off those plows!

#123 Standardtwin1 OFFLINE  

Standardtwin1
  • Member No: 50597
  • 41 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:03 PM

I like this video you did on the twin

I am the owner of the Standard Twin :wave:  This was our first time doing this.

I shot that video from my ATC recovery trike following my eldest son along. I gotta say, I felt a little out of place when we first got there, ( I was the only walk behind, sulky combo rig) but the friendly folks made that go away quick.  :D I had always wanted to work the old girl hard, and we did for several hours non stop. Not being experienced, we should have polished the moldboard better. The original plow had sat outside longer than I've been alive probably, and was taken apart, sand blasted, sharpened and put back together. The moldboard is cast iron, and pitted. By the afternoon the ground speed improved as the scouring made the plow pull better. I strategically tried to plow when I was at the end of the line, or alone as its not as fast as some of the garden tractors, even in second gear. This engine is a twin cylinder, but only 5 horsepower. It still has the original rings in it, and not even a valve job yet. It runs well, but needs a refreshing. We did not have any mechanical problems or breakdowns. It weighs over 1000 lbs and is all steel and cast iron.

A big thank you to the organizers, volunteers and hosts.  :good_job:    You can be sure we will be back

Mike, James and Chris

• grand, olcowhand, DH1 and 11 others have said thanks

#124 Blazer OFFLINE  

Blazer

• Member No: 5894
  • 29 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I was happy to see the ole walk behind there. I like watching those old and different machines work. So glad you enjoyed the plow day.

• Standardtwin1 said thank you

#125 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Here are the pics that I took which wasn't much. I knew Larry was going to be taking a huge amount of pictures so I concentrated more on doing video which I still slacked at because of having too much fun. I will get the video put together here in the next couple of days.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0458.JPG
  • DSC_0460.JPG
  • DSC_0461.JPG
  • DSC_0462.JPG
  • DSC_0463.JPG
  • DSC_0464.JPG
  • DSC_0465.JPG
  • DSC_0466.JPG
  • DSC_0467.JPG
  • DSC_0468.JPG
  • DSC_0469.JPG
  • DSC_0470.JPG
  • DSC_0471.JPG

• grand, olcowhand, DH1 and 7 others have said thanks

#126 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:16 PM

We had a bald eagle visit us on Saturday. He was up circling around looking for his next meal. I took a few shots and a couple of them turned out alright.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0474.JPG
  • DSC_0475.JPG
  • DSC_0476.JPG
  • DSC_0478.JPG
  • DSC_0479.JPG
  • DSC_0481.JPG
  • DSC_0482.JPG

• grand, olcowhand, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#127 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:20 PM

I shot that video from my ATC recovery trike following my eldest son along. I gotta say, I felt a little out of place when we first got there, ( I was the only walk behind, sulky combo rig) but the friendly folks made that go away quick.  :D I had always wanted to work the old girl hard, and we did for several hours non stop. Not being experienced, we should have polished the moldboard better. The original plow had sat outside longer than I've been alive probably, and was taken apart, sand blasted, sharpened and put back together. The moldboard is cast iron, and pitted. By the afternoon the ground speed improved as the scouring made the plow pull better. I strategically tried to plow when I was at the end of the line, or alone as its not as fast as some of the garden tractors, even in second gear. This engine is a twin cylinder, but only 5 horsepower. It still has the original rings in it, and not even a valve job yet. It runs well, but needs a refreshing. We did not have any mechanical problems or breakdowns. It weighs over 1000 lbs and is all steel and cast iron.

A big thank you to the organizers, volunteers and hosts.  :good_job:    You can be sure we will be back

Mike, James and Chris

It was a lot of fun watching your rig run. I think you may be the gent I talked with for a few minutes. It was a pleasure to meet you and learn how you got the main beam figured out.
As for not being as fast as some of the other rigs, that's no problem here. Last I checked its not a race, and I'd turn the next furrow behind you any day.
Thanks for bringing it out and letting us all enjoy it with you.
  • earthgrinder, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#128 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Here is the last few of the plowing pictures I took.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0484.JPG
  • DSC_0485.JPG
  • DSC_0486.JPG
  • DSC_0487.JPG
  • DSC_0488.JPG
  • DSC_0490.JPG
  • DSC_0491.JPG
  • DSC_0492.JPG
  • DSC_0493.JPG
  • DSC_0495.JPG
  • DSC_0498.JPG
  • DSC_0499.JPG
  • DSC_0501.JPG
  • DSC_0503.JPG
  • DSC_0504.JPG
  • DSC_0505.JPG
  • DSC_0506.JPG
  • DSC_0508.JPG
  • DSC_0509.JPG
  • DSC_0510.JPG
  • DSC_0511.JPG
  • DSC_0517.JPG
  • DSC_0519.JPG
  • DSC_0520.JPG
  • DSC_0521.JPG
  • DSC_0522.JPG

• grand, DH1, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#129 Cublover OFFLINE  

Cublover
  • Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for your pics George, I love watching the Bald Eagle flying around. That Standard Twin was a very interesting machine, hope to see it again next year.

• MH81 and Standardtwin1 have said thanks

#130 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Great pics guys.  Wish it was a tad closer!  I would, and will, make it up there someday.  Can anyone point me in the direction of the man driving what appears to be an Allis Chalmers 720.  Running duals on one side, and a single down in the furrow.  I have one, and would love to know where he got the rear rims for it.  They are usually fitted with the really wide turf/ag tires, that wont be good for plowing.  Thanks to anyone that can help me out!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#131 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 832 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted April 19, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Mike, James and Chris

I was not at plow day but I have watched that video 2 or 3 times already.  In England the plow day participants are mostly walk behinds or as they call them pedestrian operated tractors.  Maybe you will encourage others with two-wheelers to come next year. 

Is the plow and sulky setup original Standard equipment?

Edited by earthgrinder, April 19, 2015 - 10:39 PM.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#132 A720C OFFLINE  

A720C
  • Member No: 48615
  • 5 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 06:24 AM

All rims and tires i got from m.e. miller.

Great pics guys. Wish it was a tad closer! I would, and will, make it up there someday. Can anyone point me in the direction of the man driving what appears to be an Allis Chalmers 720. Running duals on one side, and a single down in the furrow. I have one, and would love to know where he got the rear rims for it. They are usually fitted with the really wide turf/ag tires, that wont be good for plowing. Thanks to anyone that can help me out!

• MH81, johndeereelfman and mowinman2 have said thanks

#133 Standardtwin1 OFFLINE  

Standardtwin1
  • Member No: 50597
  • 41 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 07:19 AM

I was not at plow day but I have watched that video 2 or 3 times already.  In England the plow day participants are mostly walk behinds or as they call them pedestrian operated tractors.  Maybe you will encourage others with two-wheelers to come next year. 

Is the plow and sulky setup original Standard equipment?

Yes, the sulky and plow are a factory setup. It was sold under the name "convertible" and has its own advertising brochure. You bought the walk behind and the sulky as one unit. If you had to use the tractor as a walk behind, you unbolted it, and used implements directly off the tractor, or toolbar carriage. I'd bet plowing by walking with one, would be a major workout. I have other standards without the sulky, I should try that to see for myself.

Sears Handiman, David Bradley are ones I've seen that have setups like it. Perhaps next year one will come out of the woodwork

• earthgrinder, MH81 and propane1 have said thanks

#134 mowinman2 OFFLINE  

mowinman2

Always on the Hunt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5587
  • 197 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 08:07 AM

All rims and tires i got from m.e. miller.

Thank you for sharing that info! I will be making a call.

#135 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Great pics guys.  Wish it was a tad closer!  I would, and will, make it up there someday.  Can anyone point me in the direction of the man driving what appears to be an Allis Chalmers 720.  Running duals on one side, and a single down in the furrow.  I have one, and would love to know where he got the rear rims for it.  They are usually fitted with the really wide turf/ag tires, that wont be good for plowing.  Thanks to anyone that can help me out!

I watched that Allis plow numerous times throughout the day Saturday. It was doing such a nice job that I was giving some serious thought about changing brands. I really liked his 720, and he had it set just right. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 20, 2015 - 06:35 PM.

• MH81, mowinman2, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks