#1 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:05 PM

loaned a friend my Cummins 6210 and they let it run out of gas under load,now I have no power output,I am thinking it might be the 35mf capacitor..what do you folks think?

Edited by Auburn, September 02, 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 12:31 AM

Could  be the capacitor,look to see if is swelled or swollen,if so it's junk.Or check it with a cap tester,if  you don't have a tester just by a new cap their cheap--$12 at grainger.If it's the square plastic cap just google cbb61 and with a little search you will find grainger has them in lots of mf and voltage,

find one that is 35mf and voltage is close or higher, they are usually 440 volts but you can go higher on the voltage,the generator don't care.

PLEASE NOTE= short the old cap with a screw driver before working on it,just in case it has any charge in it---just a habit I got into while checking a starting cap on 5hp motor-Zap=ow!

• Alc, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:34 AM

It may just need to be polarized. With the generator running plug in a variable speed electric drill. Pull the trigger and spin the chuck. The drill should take off so be carefull. The drill acts as a small generator to polarize the big generator. Be sure to turn the chuck in the direction that the drill is set to turn. Good Luck, Rick 

• JDBrian, Lmiller3358, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:53 AM

It may just need to be polarized. With the generator running plug in a variable speed electric drill. Pull the trigger and spin the chuck. The drill should take off so be carefull. The drill acts as a small generator to polarize the big generator. Be sure to turn the chuck in the direction that the drill is set to turn. Good Luck, Rick 

Nice trick to repolarize! Thanks for the tip. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I like your way to polarize--much safer then some of the zany ways people try to do it,and tons easier then opening up the gen head. :flamethrower:

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 02:42 PM

I like your way to polarize--much safer then some of the zany ways people try to do it,and tons easier then opening up the gen head. :flamethrower:

Somebody on here told it to me a couple of years ago. Good Luck, Rick

• Auburn David said thank you