18 replies to this topic

#1 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • Member No: 61908
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hey all,

Yesterday I picked up my first walk behind.  It's a Western Auto Wizard Tractor built by EDCO manufacturing.  I have stripped everything off the engine and can't find any serial numbers.  When I was pulling the apart I took a chunk out of the side of one of the large pulleys (that will be interesting to fix).  Right now I have the pieces soaking in apple cider vinegar to de-rust them.  The tank is rusted on the inside.  I'm hoping this will take care of it.

I'm hoping the guy at the lawnmower shop can identify the carb so I can get a new diaphram for it.  Everything else seems to be in working order.  It doesn't run, but it has good compression and the piston/cylinder looks good.  I'll try to post pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1987.JPG
  • IMG_1989.JPG

• Alc, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got a good project there. The Briggs numbers will be stamped in the shrould either on the edge by the carb or across the top by the plug.

• HDWildBill and tonybluegoat have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a neat tractor and actually looks in pretty good condition. The carb kit is common. Check our Manuals Section for three free downloads per day. The B&S Repairmans Manual is very helpfull. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and tonybluegoat have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Clean off the tin's and you should find the model and serial number. As Doug said they are stamped into the metal.  Welcome to GTtalk.

• boyscout862 and tonybluegoat have said thanks

#5 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks to the manuals section of this site I now have the original brochure for this tractor.  They called it an Edco Walk Behind from the late 70's.  Western Auto sold it as the Wizard.  It was painted in Western Auto orange and white. 

I found the serial number now that some of the rust is gone.  It's very lightly stamped, but I'm pretty sure it says: 130253 (or instead of a 3 probably an 8)  0602-01 76061607 

If I'm reading this correctly then 130258 (not 3) is a (13) cubic inch (0) series (2) horizontal shaft (5) 6 to 1 plain bearing ccw gear reduction with (8) vertical or side pull starter.

This makes sense because the original brochure says it had a 5 hp (13 cubic inch) motor and it has a horizontal shaft with a 6 to 1 gear reduction and a side/vertical pull starter.

Thanks for the help.  Now I need to figure out the carb.

Edited by tonybluegoat, September 02, 2014 - 09:44 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:48 AM

The carb is a very simple one. The diaphrams were even sold on cards at places like Sears. The problem area can be the plastic tube with screen that sticks down into the gas tank. Good Luck, Rick

• superaben and tonybluegoat have said thanks

#7 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:16 AM

The carb is a very simple one. The diaphrams were even sold on cards at places like Sears. The problem area can be the plastic tube with screen that sticks down into the gas tank. Good Luck, Rick

You're right.  I found it in 2 minutes online.  I'm running to the local lawn mower repair shop to get an electric ignition system, they will probably have the diaphragm too.

Interestingly enough when I was coming home from getting the walk behind I stopped at a garage sale and picked up a gas powered Weedeater trimmer for $5.  I did a quick test and got it running by putting a paper towel with some gas on it at the air intake.  It seems to run great.  I ordered a carb kit online and should have that running and gunning for an $8 carb kit plus $5 for the trimmer.  A good day!

Now I just need to find the double pulley that I broke, it had one big V pulley and a small one.  It's cast so I can't weld it.  I found a number 2426 on it, but a search doesn't show what I'm looking for.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Check with the lawn shop, my shop is real good about finding aftermarket parts, for the pulley.  Also check with our sponsors they maybe able to help.  You can still get the complete carburetor if need be.

• boyscout862 and tonybluegoat have said thanks

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Another issue with that style of carb is the double pick-up. The deepest one picks up fuel with the diaphragm pump and puts it in the smaller well for the shorter tube to pick up for the engine. If they have been setting for a while, they start easier with a full tank of gas so the smaller well fills too.

• Alc, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#10 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 12:21 PM

I have a big question.  This engine has points and condenser.  I watched a 13 year old kid show how to replace this type ignition with an electronic ignition.  He just cut the wire and installed a replacement ignition coil.  When I talked to the guy at the lawn mower shop he seemed to think it was very complicated.

I've never done it and I don't have much experience with points.  I would like to replace it with electronic if I can for a reasonable amount of money.  Alternately I just need some advice on cleaning up the points, I guess.  Thanks.

#11 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Another issue with that style of carb is the double pick-up. The deepest one picks up fuel with the diaphragm pump and puts it in the smaller well for the shorter tube to pick up for the engine. If they have been setting for a while, they start easier with a full tank of gas so the smaller well fills too.

I got a full carb kit and am soaking the carb on chem tool overnight to get it good and clean before I put the kit on.  

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 01:18 PM

I have a big question.  This engine has points and condenser.  I watched a 13 year old kid show how to replace this type ignition with an electronic ignition.  He just cut the wire and installed a replacement ignition coil.  When I talked to the guy at the lawn mower shop he seemed to think it was very complicated.

I've never done it and I don't have much experience with points.  I would like to replace it with electronic if I can for a reasonable amount of money.  Alternately I just need some advice on cleaning up the points, I guess.  Thanks.

If your coil is 2 pole you can just swap out the coil with the electronic one. If it has 3 poles you have to use one of the Nova modules to get electronic ignition.

• superaben said thank you

#13 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 02:05 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Tom

• tonybluegoat said thank you

#14 tonybluegoat OFFLINE  

tonybluegoat
  • 9 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 02:35 PM

IMG_2028.JPG

If your coil is 2 pole you can just swap out the coil with the electronic one. If it has 3 poles you have to use one of the Nova modules to get electronic ignition.

I'm not sure.  It has one wire that goes to the spark and a blade connector that connects to the shutoff.  That's all.

Edited by tonybluegoat, September 02, 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:07 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_2028.JPG

I'm not sure.  It has one wire that goes to the spark and a blade connector that connects to the shutoff.  That's all.

That sounds like a coil that already has the electronic ignition built in. Take a picture at more the angle where your thumb is straight on and maybe I can see it. For a points coil it would have had a wire run under the flywheel to the points. Leave the wire off to the kill switch and see if it sparks. Maybe you just need another coil.