• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:42 PM

If your bothered by killing God's little creatures, use Reddi wip in the spray can. Works just as good! :thumbs:

You're kidding, right?

#17 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:54 PM

I wonder if those "Bug Bombs" would work. Once a year I set off 6 or so of them under our trailer house to take care of the spiders. I do it in the shop too for spiders, gnats and flies or anything else that may need gassed. I will usually set off 5 out in the bay part of the shop and 2 in the office. Set them off when you are done in the shed for the day then by the next day go in and throw away the cans. All done! The spray/gas won't hurt any of your stuff like your cans and bottles. I get them in 6 packs at Menards.

DAC

• DougT said thank you

#18 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:04 PM

hornets, wasps and bees, have to have lite to be able to fly and get any place, so do it in the best darkness you have. That nest is hornets, they don't string you once and die like bees do, and they will follow you for a good distance. Brake clean should work perfect, and a 5 gal bucket and lid.

• DougT, GTTinkerer and HDWildBill have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:24 PM

You're kidding, right?

Do you really have to ask?

• MH81 said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Do you really have to ask?

I've met Doug, my one daughter still calls him Santa. i had this image of him trying to outrun bees, running around in the dark, tripping on the stuff outside, whip cream all over and the neighbors calling the cops...

Just being cautious... :D

Besides, I thought maybe it worked like nitrous oxide...
  • DougT, grnspot110, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:58 PM

If your bothered by killing God's little creatures, use Reddi wip in the spray can. Works just as good! :thumbs:

"Man found stung to death with a 1/2 can of reddi whip in his hand, tractor forum being sued by family" stay tuned, news at 11.
  • DougT, grnspot110, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#22 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:01 PM

I've taken care of two of those, one at my folks house and one at my BIL's house. I put on my full fire dept turn out gear on with a self contained breathing apparatus mask on. I had a sock on the end of the mask hose. It was in the evening and I had a two gallon sprayer with malathion in it. I shot the whole 2 gallons of mix in the entrance hole. A few got ticked, and some late comers showed up, but I never got stung that I knew of. We waited a couple of days then took the nests down. 

• DougT said thank you

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Ha! >snort< :bigrofl:       (This place is so much fun! Turn loose the bees!!!)

• DougT, grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:05 PM

. I put on my full fire dept turn out gear on with a self contained breathing apparatus mask on. I had a sock on the end of the mask hose.

I just read another story that started like this.

#25 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:18 PM

We've used Raid wasp and hornet killer with good luck. The long distance stuff works well sprayed right up the door in the bottom. But leave the nest where it is if it's visible--- other hornets will see it and stay

away. They are very territorial and don't like to move in on another area if there is a resident population. After I sprayed these guys we left the nest where it was under the deck roof, and we have had no new colonies for the last two years.IMG_0992.JPG

• DougT, MH81, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#26 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Well, they got a reprieve last night. I figure I better relocate the dog that calls this building home before I P them off. They don't seem to bother her during the day like they did me but it may be different when i start spraying. Usually I follow up the brake cleaner with a flic of the bic in the spray but it won't be possible this time. I can't believe how quick it seemed to pop up. I know there was no sign of it the middle of July because here was a buddy that was out and commented on the beer cans I have up there. I've been home a few weekends since then and didn't notice any unusual bee activity. I'm in that building everyday to feed the dogs but mainly at night. I didn't even notice it Saturday like it was Sun and Mon. How fast can they build something that big??

Another method of bee removal that I've used is a bucket of oil. This works good if they are in a wall and the hole is fairly low. When they come out of the nest they drop down first and then fly off. Get the oil as close to the hole as you can. When they drop down they get in the oil and then can't fly. I had a big nest in the bottom af a train car I've got here. I set up a roaster pan about half full of oil right at the hole they were using. After the first day there were so many bees in the oil that the later ones were actually not getting in the oil because it was so full. I had to scoop the bees out every day but it eventually got them all. I filled a 5 gal bucket with dead bees. They burned good with the oil.

• MH81, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Doug, I have used the foam before also and it is nice cause it blocks off the hole too. But from the first time I used it to the second, they reformulated it and it didnt seem quite as effective.

As for how quick, few weeks by the looks.

Last thing, do not hold the flash lite if its on. Carry a second one for you getting away. They have been known to head towards the light and while you want them to "head towards the bright lite" that's not the one you mean.
  • GTTinkerer, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#28 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:51 AM

You're right, they're smart little beggars. Yellow jackets post a guard at night, there will be two or three clinging to the outside of the hole ready to repel all comers after dark and sound the alarm. Have to admire them for that, someone's always on duty to defend the rest of the family.
  • DougT, GTTinkerer, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#29 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:51 AM

No doubt about them being smart and protective. I watched them a while last night to plot the attack. they were still coming in the outside hole well after dark. i'm not sure about doing it in the dark either. The main walk in door is just to the right of the picture and with the hole on the outside there will be bees on both sides of that door. That leaves the door on the far end of the building for an escape route. It will be a feat running through the building with the lights on let alone in the dark. Besides that I can see them coming after me. I'm thinking a can of brake clean in each hand and let them have it with a 3rd can to fog for my escape.

I've noticed the brake cleaner doesn't seem to be dropping them as fast as it used to. Everytime something is EPA approved, it means it doesn't work as well. Don't know if I'll bother with the foam or not. Maybe I can get LD to come show me how the whipped cream works!  :smilewink:

• MH81, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#30 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Burn down the shed!!!!LOL