• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:30 AM

How long does it take to make a nest? Sunday I noticed a lot of bees in my shed. Started loking around and found this hive. I'm in this shed everyday and this is the first I've noticed it. Yesterday I got stung giving the dogs water. These guys are going to go. Anybody want them?? There is a small hole in the siding that they are coming in from outside and also holes into the inside. I'm thinking a couple full cans of brake cleaner and give them a dose of reality. Don;t know if i'll try to plug the outside hole first or not. They're pretty active and seem aggressive during the day but settle down at night. there are still a bunch on the outside of the hive at night though.Anybody have a better idea to eradicate them?

DSC02090.JPG               DSC02091.JPG

DSC02092.JPG

• farmer john and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Those are hornets, bad news.  My dad had one, waited until evening when they were all in the nest, then used a full can of spray up the bottom holes then immediately got nest into a bucket and sealed it. Left covered for a few weeks, killed them all.

you may want to find a couragious buddy and hit both inside and out at the same time.

• DougT, NJKen, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Would think knocking into a big open plastic bag or something like Tahoe said and running out with it is good idea! Gotta be a lot of them in that size nest. I bet you get hit a few times, hope you don't be hurt by stings! I have something like that on front of house now, small hole near a window corner underneath. Wife's been spraying, but not much help when it is all in the building walls. Not sure what we are gonna do on that one.  Can seal hole maybe, but won't they just make another??

• DougT, GTTinkerer and farmer john have said thanks

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Would think knocking into a big open plastic bag or something like Tahoe said and running out with it is good idea! Gotta be a lot of them in that size nest. I bet you get hit a few times, hope you don't be hurt by stings! I have something like that on front of house now, small hole near a window corner underneath. Wife's been spraying, but not much help when it is all in the building walls. Not sure what we are gonna do on that one.  Can seal hole maybe, but won't they just make another??

I have read that you definitely don't want to seal the hole while they are alive and active since if you do they may find a way into your home in an attempt to get out.

• DougT and farmer john have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,007 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hope you get a handle on those things. 

Dark night with a large garbage bag and leather gloves. Once the nest is in the bag give them a good shot of spray and seal the bag. 

Good luck. 

• DougT and farmer john have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:37 AM

I think Tahoe has the best idea.  Hit it with spray from both sides then seal it up.  I think Hornets are the worse bees to mess with.

• DougT and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:49 AM

The cooler the nite, the better.
Also, smoking them for a while before will make them less aggressive... NOT passive, just less aggressive.

For anyone who has a bees nest In a bad spot, check into the powder. It's not as satisfying as watching them writhe on the ground, but the end result is the same.
  • DougT, HDWildBill and farmer john have said thanks

#8 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Bad news. Those will put you in the hospital real quick. They make yellow jackets seem like pets.
  • DougT, MH81, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:27 AM

I got stung 4 times by some kind of nasty looking black hornet thing 2 summers ago.  I was at work, kicked open a farm gate, and out they flew from the darn hole in the frame. 

I do not know exactly what they were, all I know is that I have been stung many times by different bugs, and this one actually HURT.  It felt like someone was jabbing a needle into my arm.  I didn't stick around to exam them.  The little hole they put in my arm was actually bleeding.

20 minutes after getting stung my right forearm was swelled up so bad I couldn't move my wrist.  Work called an ambulance and they took me to the ER.  Got a few shots and some pills and I was ok.

I do not want to encounter whatever the heck that was again.

• DougT and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Bad news. Those will put you in the hospital real quick. They make yellow jackets seem like pets.

And they sting like a singer sewing machine. Run a stitch right up your arm & lucky you only got it once, that was just a warning.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:57 AM

When it comes to those things, long distance is better than being there!  Get a few cans of wasp killer..  Hopefully you can shoot the hive from a distance!!  If not-  Wear a tyvek suit and head gear to keep the buggers from stinging you and blast away.  They will get P/Oed at you but keep blasting away and they will drop as they come out.  Keep at it and once you start running out of spray, make your way out the door and let things calm down.  We had a 2' cube of bee hive full of yellow jackets in our attic and we took care of it after about 8 cans!  Only a couple stings..

Good Luck!!

#12 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:11 PM

good luck with those, i had the same type in my shed, they swarmed me, i was not bothering them, got stung 12-16 times all over, and im allergic, my epi pen failed and it was a rush to the hospital, they are nasty little bas@*ds, used a foaming spray at night that worked from 10 feet, by by bugs

• DougT, HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#13 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Doug I was out in the garage one day and looked up at a small tree and thought that looks like a hornets nest,sure enough it was.Wait for a cool night ,it`s been pretty warm at night lately.They have foaming hornet spray that expands when it gets into the nest.Make sure you identify the nest entrance ,somtimes it looks like there are several but in my experiance there is only one.Empty the whole can into the nest and that should do it .Good luck!!!!

• DougT and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,218 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:07 PM

Those are paper wasp's, be carefull.  Get a few good cans of bee spray, look for the stuff that has a residual kill.  The spay will last for hours on the surface of anything and when the bees land they will get killed by the contact, spray at nite or very early in the morning before they get out for the day, do that two or three times and the nest will be gone.  I got those in a shed at my parents place when I still lived at home, it took us a few weeks to get them out as they were built into the walls but we eventually won!!!!!!!!!

Pete

• DougT said thank you

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:38 PM

.They have foaming hornet spray that expands when it gets into the nest.Make sure you identify the nest entrance ,somtimes it looks like there are several but in my experiance there is only one.Empty the whole can into the nest and that should do it .Good luck!!!!

If your bothered by killing God's little creatures, use Reddi wip in the spray can. Works just as good! :thumbs:

• DougT said thank you