• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 11:21 PM

These cukes are going nuts in my garden.  I had 2 plants survive from 4 this spring.  The squash over ran them so I did not expect a whole lot of a crop, but wow.  I wonder around moving squash vines and leaves and find HUGE cukes!  I can go in and pick all I find, then I swear 2 days later it's like I have never been in there.  BIG, and I mean BIG suckers!  Lots of them I taste and they are bitter for some reason.  (not complaining, just amazed at the size and amount)  Is there a chance they cross fertilized with the squash to get that big?  (yea, call me a newbee)  The smaller ones I catch n eat all taste great.

When I pickle them, do they have to remain refrigerated or can I put them in the basement with the other canned veggies?  How long will they stay good?  Anyone have some recipes they would care to share?  What I've done so far is pretty basic with some garlic and dill.  I have learned that I love to eat the garlic cloves that I put in with the pickles, mighty tasty!!  I've also learned that putting 3/4 cup vodka in the brine mix keeps the pickles nice and crisp the way I like them.  I've also learned the big cukes that go bitter, break in half, throw in the chicken pen, they go nuts for them so they don't go to waste.

We've got a bunch of beets that went nuts this time round, did not produce last year.  Can't wait to cook them up, we love beets.  I have a recipe for pickled beets, can't wait!

• Alc, oldedeeres, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,111 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:33 AM

Love beets. Getting hungry now after reading this. Noel
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Can't help you with your question about cucumbers . This year I got beets and didn't get too many last year either . My sister didn't get many beet this year and she had gotten new seeds this year  . I wish I knew why they didn't geminate for her and last year for me .  

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Sounds Delicious. I find that cucumbers seem to grow well here when we let them climb the fence. We have one out there that is over a foot long. We are going to harvest everything for a big congregational lunch at the church next Sunday. It only takes a couple of plants to give you more than you need. We seem to loose a few plants each year but get a couple that produce. I love beets as well. We eat the greens during the summer and then harvest the beets later.  Pickled beets are a staple on tables here for family dinners. 

• FrozenInTime and propane1 have said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I'm glad you got good cukes.  All four of my plants are producing well.  I have them on a rabbit fence to climb.  The neighbors love them.

• Alc and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Did not know they would climb fences, next year I will plant them accordingly for sure.  Darn squash sure takes over the garden, even when I try to keep them trimmed back.  I like to let my peas climb, I let the corn get started to atleast 6 inches then plant them between the stalks.  Its fun to pick peas from corn.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,111 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Great idea with corn, planting peas in between.  Automatic fence for the peas, thanks.   Noel 

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 03:43 AM

The way to keep your pickles crisp , and this goes for all the different recipes, bread & butter, dill what ever you like, make sure the cukes are ice cold and crispy at the time of jarring.
Put the jars in the oven at 200° f . yeah its a pain filling them hot but it keeps them from cracking when put into a water bath. Now the trick here is to not let the water get to a rip roaring boil! You want it to stay at just a simmer . And dont cook the cukes and onion in the brine for 10 minutes like they say, just pack the jars with the cold cukes and onion and fill with the brine. You will have crispy crunchy bread and butter pickles and a lot less wasted brine when the jar is empty. I pickle everything in my garden even tomatos, cherry and grape are soooo yummy when doing a shot of Vodka as the chaser. To pickle these little balls of yummy you need garlic cloves, white vinegar, water, and sugar oh and hot peppers haljipeno works awsome.
Brine: 2 1/2 cups each, water and vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt bring all this to boil for a minute or 2.
In jars put 3-4 cloves garlic, cherry and or grape tomatoes ripe or very close ( orange is fine) and 1 whole hot pepper( if it is too large cut a few inch pieces as you just want a little heat and flavor from it)
fill jar, shake twist to get as much in with out crushing as you can. Fill with brine and water bath for 10 minutes. Yum yum!! And this brine wirks for peppers too and anything ellse you want!! It is wicked de-lish !!
  • Alc, FrozenInTime, freedhardwoods and 1 other said thanks

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 11:13 AM

I had never thought of cherry matoes for pickling.  I have a ton of those, it's the big matoes that I'm having problems with.  Last year I pickled a couple jars of sliced jalepeno's, they lasted all winter.  When u pickle your's, do you put them in the cellar or in the fridge?  I had been told it was a must to use pickling salt, do you use that?  Otherwise my recipe is about the same as yours, cept for the 2 tsp pickling salt.

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:55 PM

I use kosher pickling salt. If you water bath and the jars pop after you let them cool you can put them in the cellar. Make sure you remove the rings after cooling and sealing and wash them and the jars!! Or they will rust and get yucky .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140903_185652.jpg
  • IMG_20140903_185710.jpg
  • IMG_20140903_190058.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, September 03, 2014 - 06:01 PM.

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks