Economy Tractor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jdonovan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61897
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Neighbor is looking to sell his Economy tractor. Not sure of the serial number, but he told me that it has a Wisconsin pull start engine. Since I don't know anything about the tractor was hoping for some quick opinions. Is the tool box original?..Thanks Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2.JPG
  • photo 4.JPG
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
  • photo 1 (1).JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and fogler12538 have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:36 PM

That's a Briggs engine under the hood.  It is a horse of an engine, it will last just as long and run just as good as a Wisconsin. 

Ben W.

#3 EconChuck OFFLINE  

• Member No: 18979
  • 245 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:42 AM

I agree with the Briggs engine. I have a '56 Economy with a Wisc that had elec start and a generator.
Mine has a battery holder of angle iron that is in the same location as this tractor. I think this tractor has been modified from its original state.

In my opinion it is an early '50's Power King model with the smaller front wheels.
An Economy model would have the 12" front wheels. The Jim Dandy models with the small front wheels did
not start being made until 1957-I think and they also had the c channel front frame.

As far as the price of $850-I don't think that is too far off the value. But if your are looking for a true original to
restore, I think tis one is not very close.

#4 jdonovan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61897
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 27, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Well I ended up buying the tractor. It's a 1960 Economy and has it's original Briggs & Stratton engine. I think even the tires are original. Removed the non factory items(lights, tool box, bracket on side of frame). Repaired the hood and non factory holes. Tractor was taken apart, cleaned, stripped, new gaskets etc...Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• economy tractor 11.jpg

Edited by jdonovan, August 27, 2015 - 08:14 PM.

• Merle013 said thank you