Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Info On M T D 960 Throw Out Bearing.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:52 PM

We have a member here who is looking at a 960 that needs a throw out bearing. Does anyone know what other brand tractor used the same one? I know the BH and PK are the same, but never seeing the MTD one I have no idea. Thanks for your help.

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I have a tractor with one but I have no idea what it would be the same as.  The tractor was a recent acquisition and I've not even really looked at that part of it yet.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 10:10 PM

I have a tractor with one but I have no idea what it would be the same as.  The tractor was a recent acquisition and I've not even really looked at that part of it yet.

Could you take a picture of your clutch and throwout bearing area for me? Thanks, ken

#4 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Sorry, missed this until now. I'll get some pics but it might not be till the weekend.
  • ktznz said thank you

#5 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Canawler:

No problem. I am just about ready to see if there are any manufacturing numbers on the remainder of the throwout bearing. Seems strange that no one has ever mentioned either a number stamped on the bearing, the specs of the bearing or an interchangeable bearing. But I am a noobie to this craft. Thanks again. ken

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Ken, I'm still trying to get some info out of member "Halfscale", he know these things like the back of his hand.

• ktznz said thank you

#7 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 07:58 AM

Ken, I'm still trying to get some info out of member "Halfscale", he know these things like the back of his hand.

Brian:

I, too,  sent halfscale a private message, I am patient. Checked with your other lead, no success. ken

#8 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Brian:

I, too,  sent halfscale a private message, I am patient. Checked with your other lead, no success. ken

Brian:

I also found a post where halfscale mentioned a bearing brand and number. Not having ever seen an original throwout bearing, I have been searching and found similar bearings, BUT no bearing cover as mentioned in the manual. I am going to a machine shop on saturday to check out fixing my clutch yoke and try to find another local source for the bearing and bearing cover. Don't know if the "bearing cover" can be purchased with or without the bearing. 

#9 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Here is my current status for the quest for a throwout bearing and bearing cover for my MTD 960:

a) Thanks to halfscale, I now know what bearing configuration to purchase for my tractor. I also discovered that my broken bearing had the "bearing cover" in place, but it is well worn. so I can now start my search for a replacement bearing cover or can calculate the specs needed to have one made.

I was able to knock it off of the outer bearing race. I found several sources for the throwout bearing and the same goes for prices; from a high of $60.00 to a low of $8.50 and that is without shipping costs. I am also going to document the specifications and bearing numbers I have found as well as specs and numbers for the bearing cover as soon as I find them or have them made.

I have removed the right hand drive and clutch system from the 960 and yes....I am including pictures.

b) I now know that the yoke needs to be welded and then ground down to make up for the worn places made by the original bearing cover.

Does anyone know if the bearing cover is available by size at bearing houses? Thanks again to the documentation provided by halfscale. ken

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD_TO_bearing_top.JPG
  • MTD_TO_bearing_side.JPG
  • MTD_cover_n_bearing_top.JPG
  • MTD_cover_n_bearing_side.JPG
  • MTD_yoke_worn.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and motobreeder have said thanks

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have one of these tractors to pick up tomorrow. Seems that I read several years ago that the MTD could use a Cub clutch. ktznz what did you come up with for where to get a throwout bearing ?

#11 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 11:42 PM

I have one of these tractors to pick up tomorrow. Seems that I read several years ago that the MTD could use a Cub clutch. ktznz what did you come up with for where to get a throwout bearing ?

Well, it is still a work in progress. I found the proper sized bearing from an entry by a knowledgeable gentleman named halfscale. It is NPC014RP. I found the bearing and a series of other bearings that will work both at local bearing house and on ebay. First I had to learn what the bearing designations mean. However, the missing link is the bearing cup that fits over the leading face of the bearing. Definitely no longer available. In addition, from my research, not many people with 960s have bearing problems, but mine had been rigged multiple time to keep it in service and had added shims on the shaft as well as a couple of inches of washers on the front end of the yoke.    

However, I found someone who is modifying the clutch yoke to allow it to ride on the outer portion of the bearing race. Not sure of the cost at this time, but if the price is right and the quality is good, I will post more info. I am just being cautious at this time. Any other questions, just ask.    

• rustyoldjunk and motobreeder have said thanks

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:12 AM

Seems that I read several years ago that the MTD could use a Cub clutch.

As I understand it, the actual dimensions are the same.  The difference was one has three mounting holes and other has four, I just don't remember which brand has which.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#13 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 07:49 PM

As I understand it, the actual dimensions are the same.  The difference was one has three mounting holes and other has four, I just don't remember which brand has which.

The MTD 960 uses four (4) holes and the Cub Cadet uses three (3) holes. I also found info where some MTD people used the Cub Cadet clutch disc and drilled four (4) holes to match the requirement for the MTD. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Well, I found a NOS throw out bearing for the MTD 960, BUT without the bearing cup, which I find quite confusing. I even have the FAFNIR bearing designation, RA014R and it was advertised as the older part number 741-0142. The fact that a bearing cup does not currently exist that is non-tapered and has inside diameter of 2.05" is mind boggling. Since my unit is beingg modified to make up for the lack of the bearing cup, I purchased the throw out bearing. Maybe I need to change my username to "baffled-n-confused". I will now have to learn how bearing cup nomenclature to see if the bearing insert for the 960 does have an available bearing cup.

#15 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Well, thought I should update my query concerning the throwout bearing and bearing cup. I am sending a bearing (authentic) to a someone I met here in north central texas to see if he can make a bearing cup that will fit and work with the throwout bearing. However, I was also able to buy a used and working throwout bearing with cup from a MTD 760. So by modifying the clutch yoke and installing the throwout bearing plus buying the blind bearing in the right angle drive, I am ready to go. I will post pics of my parts and assembly of the right angle drive and clutch assembly when I start to put it together. Thanks for the help from everyone. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, motobreeder and Sawdust have said thanks