#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Not sure what they call those all-direction Ball shaped wheels used on decks and stuff now days. Are the kinda generic or maker specific?   My Snapper Power King has worn ones on it's brush attachment. They are 3" wide, and think 5" diameter, with a 1/2" bolt for axle, and the hub is offset to clear attach point.  Any of you parts guys here sell these? Hoping I don't have to go to JD dealer or others and pay the big cash. Most times my JD Guy won't even look at what he has w/out a part number first, sheesh! Just finding standard straight wheels in the stores I've looked so far. Wonder if McMaster would have such an oddity?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Have a pic of one?

I'm sure I can get something that would work for you.

#3 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Auto Parts Dealers, like NAPA stores have a catalog in-store called:

Power Equipment Products

it's large, about 600 pages but has all kinds of items for small engines and mower decks.

Air Filters, Mufflers, engine & starter parts, electrical, bearings, pulleys, blades, mower ROLLERS, tillers parts, snowblower parts, seats, ball joints, spindles, specialized small engine tools, chainsaw & trimmer parts.

They can usually have most of these items in a day or two and I have found that prices are usually lower than small engine dealers and even eBay, there are no shipping charges for items in the catalog.  They will let you look through their catalog, but give yourself lots of time, there is a lot in there. Their new catalog comes out in December, ask & put a post-it note on it to get their old one for free for you to keep, like I did.  It's amazing all that they do have in that catalog, and it's at a local store too.

Also, tire stores have a special catalog just for tires and Tire misc., a catalog that you can look through; it has about 7-8 pages on just our Garden Tractor tires of all kinds, several hundred, that they can order, and if it comes in on with their regular weekly tire delivery, no shipping charges.  I deal with the local Discount Tire Store, their tubes are the better quality USA made tubes and at a less cost than the TSC-China ones. Tire prices are about equal to eBay or Miller Tire (but then those charge shipping), if I pre-pay for the tire I'm given a 10% discount, and they offer tire mounting for a very fair price too.

Glen

glgrumpy:  They have a 5 x 2.75" 5/8" bore plastic smooth deck wheel.

Edited by GlenPettit, September 01, 2014 - 06:41 PM.

• Talntedmrgreen and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Do you work for Napa?

• MH81 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Glen's suggestion is a true place that you can buy parts. 

Auto parts guys like NAPA have the prices to beat the lawn and garden stores because that's about all they can offer.  They don't have service or the know how on mowers and small engines. 

If you know what you want and know the catalog where to find it, you can get a deal sometimes.  Don't expect to have "too much information" because unless the part number you want happens to be a known and new enough part number, you won't see a cross reference for it. 

And don't ask the clerk for help, because he will shrug and say that he dunno. 

However, if you want service and applied knowledge that can help you get going quickly and get it done right the first time, the lawn and garden dealers are who you need to talk to you.  Who knows, we might even tell you how to install it and what else you might need to save you a second trip.

You get what you pay for.

Ben W.

• MH81 and GlenPettit have said thanks

#6 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Ben is exactly right, rarely does anyone in the Auto Store know anything about small engines, sometimes they don't even know that this catalog is in there, and if you do get any advice from some clerks, it may be very wrong.  If you know what you want and find your own part number, it works great . . . and the descriptions are very minimal in this catalog, but then most of the parts are fairly standard.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Something like this?

Sears Guage Wheel.jpeg

Part # 133957 at Sears. $26+/-.  It's about 4"+/- diameter with a 1/2" hole for a shoulder bolt.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Whole bunch to choose from HERE  Some less than $10 delivered to your door.