• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Another neat engine was the ford small block that I believe Joy air compressor co. took and let one side of the V8 make compressed air with while powering it with the other side of the engine. It made a very compact 175+CFM portable compressor.

The dist. cap is factory is they could use the same distributor in more then one engine. Hope someone here gets it, it would make a neat conversion engine.

#17 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Going by it's size compared to our Minneapolis Moline's 4 cylinder Continental, I'd hazard a guess of 12 to 15hp, and I doubt it's 15.

I believe that a cub farmalls engine is only 9hp with tis 4 cylinders, so this one might be as low as 5hp. Kind of need to know the bore and stoke to figure it out. I've seen some engines like this one used to power pumps on tank trailers of the mid to late 60's. Most of them used a 2cylinder wissy engine like a TD.

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:57 PM

I believe that a cub farmalls engine is only 9hp with tis 4 cylinders, so this one might be as low as 5hp. Kind of need to know the bore and stoke to figure it out. I've seen some engines like this one used to power pumps on tank trailers of the mid to late 60's. Most of them used a 2cylinder wissy engine like a TD.

Yes, I agree Jeff, very hard to guess without even something in the pic for a size reference.

#19 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:30 PM

The M88A1 used a 2 cylinder Continental to power the auxiliary power unit but it was a diesel.  The APU put out 24 volts to charge the batteries and run all the hydraulics except the main and boom winches.

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Response from seller stated he bought it as shown, owner before him thought it was off a hydraulic pump. The search continues.