• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM

We are guaranteed the right to try any legal lifestyle, career, etc...the outcome is not guaranteed, just the opportunity.

• Alc, GTTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 04:44 AM

There is always some one that puts the blame on the government.

(1. Up bringing by parents who know what their kids have earned money to buy and when stuff shows up they couldn't afford they do some thing about it.

When the parents could care less then the kids have no moral up bring and continue to steal what doesn't belong to them or they can't not afford. 

(2. Many of todays kids I see are spoiled stinking rotten and they have parents who do any thing to keep them shut up and not whining except what they should have did in the very start. From the very start they should learn the meaning of the word no.

(3. If there is government to blame it is all the rich people we the  voters keep electing which includes lower case courts judges and the people who appoint the high court officials.

Once the not so rich get elected they would have more of an interest in doing a good job and applying real punishments for crimes. 

Way I feel is the so called petty thieves are caught they would no longer have time to repeat the offence. they would spend ever hour when they were not on there job and 8 sleeping hours a day/night on a chain gang.

You see it all the time on the News some city has vacant lots that are full of over grown weeds. that is work they can do to keep them out of trouble.

:D   Al

• GTTinkerer, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Our local jail has inmates clean highway right of way.  Most of them love the chance to get outside, even if to work & sweat.  But I'd say there is a difference between country jail inmates & city inmates, but then I really have no idea, as I've never seen the inside of a jail, even to visit anyone there.  But even if I could get free labor from them on my farm....no thanks....they'd likely be some casing the place for a visit after being released. 

• GTTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:11 AM

My buddy spent 90 days in the county jail for a DUI.  He is a bit of an odd guy.  I asked him how bad it was being in jail.  He said bad?  It was great.  I got 3 meals a day, all the TV I could watch, all the books I could read, and I got to play all the basketball I wanted.  I was amazed. 

I just shook my head.

• Alc, sacsr, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:26 AM

My buddy spent 90 days in the county jail for a DUI.  He is a bit of an odd guy.  I asked him how bad it was being in jail.  He said bad?  It was great.  I got 3 meals a day, all the TV I could watch, all the books I could read, and I got to play all the basketball I wanted.  I was amazed. 

I just shook my head.

Shake your head is right.  I'd go bonkers.  I'd rather be out working my tail off, but then that's the difference between us & most (but not all) of the type to end up in jail.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Our son is a prison guard at the local pen.   He takes inmates out for the paving crew and they pave the county roads.  He says the older ones are easier to deal with but the young ones are a PITA.  The county does benefit from using the inmates and they have some of the best roads around.

I'm with Al, I think if the parents would do their job in raising kid's we would have a lot less issues with stealing and crimes.  But when the parents are doing it what kind of example does that set for the kids.  A phrase we used in the Military was "Lead by example" and it works for good and bad.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#22 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 11:49 AM

It seems that up here the system is more for the protection of the criminal's rights than the rights of the victim. First, before anyone jumps on this, yes, very occaisonaly the wrong person is convicted, and when this is discovered the media makes sure we know about it. But really, if you weren't "shady" in the first place, would you even have come under suspicion? As my mother used to say, "you are the company you keep". To me the point is appropriate action taken to the criminal; not rehabilitation, but correction and punishment. The old term "outlaw" meant you were outside the law ( that protected those who were law abiding). Hence, when apprehended and found guilty, they should not be protected by those laws. We all make decisions, right or wrong, and should abide by the results of those decisions. A "mistake" is a poor decision and generally we should suffer for it; that, unfortunately, is how humans seem to learn. If someone doesn't learn honesty at his mother's knee, he'll have to learn it some other, harsher way. Bring back the paddle and lash, the "chain gang" type of genuine labour that accomplishes real work,(road repair as has been mentioned) and a lot of the petty thievery would disappear. They might learn how hard the rest of us have to work to achieve goals and gain possessions. Sorry for the vent, but there it is..
  • GTTinkerer, sacsr, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#23 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 01:11 PM

I have had stuff stolen from me at auctions before I could get it loaded, it's sad the world has come to this but I don't see it changing any time soon.  Someone also stole the 30' cord right out from our fence charger along the side of the road one winter.  Someone probably stole it to scrap, very common around here sadly.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 02:13 PM

One thing about crummy people; they make the rest of us who know how to act look like saints!!!

I'm no saint but it does make me feel better knowing I'm not a thief. 

• GTTinkerer, sacsr, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#25 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have had stuff stolen from me at auctions before I could get it loaded, it's sad the world has come to this but I don't see it changing any time soon.  Someone also stole the 30' cord right out from our fence charger along the side of the road one winter.  Someone probably stole it to scrap, very common around here sadly.

And there are many people who say there is no such thing as Sin.     . . . Go figure.

• GTTinkerer, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:58 PM

There is always some one that puts the blame on the government.

(1. Up bringing by parents who know what their kids have earned money to buy and when stuff shows up they couldn't afford they do some thing about it.

When the parents could care less then the kids have no moral up bring and continue to steal what doesn't belong to them or they can't not afford. 

(2. Many of todays kids I see are spoiled stinking rotten and they have parents who do any thing to keep them shut up and not whining except what they should have did in the very start. From the very start they should learn the meaning of the word no.

(3. If there is government to blame it is all the rich people we the  voters keep electing which includes lower case courts judges and the people who appoint the high court officials.

Once the not so rich get elected they would have more of an interest in doing a good job and applying real punishments for crimes. 

Way I feel is the so called petty thieves are caught they would no longer have time to repeat the offence. they would spend ever hour when they were not on there job and 8 sleeping hours a day/night on a chain gang.

You see it all the time on the News some city has vacant lots that are full of over grown weeds. that is work they can do to keep them out of trouble.

The government we now have that ever increasingly intrudes into our lives was voted in by the unfit parents you describe. They welcome the government's interference because it gives them an excuse and eases their conscience for shirking many responsibilities including parenting.

• GTTinkerer, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#27 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:46 AM

A lot of fit parents and fit people who are not parents vote also. The fact remains the parents need to do their job and there is no government interference in doing so.

Really ticks me off when I see some one has a dog chained to a house in the back yard and a well worn path at the end of that chain. Tells me they wanted a dog just to say they have one as the dog never gets loose to be with the owner.

People are the same way with kids, they have them just to say they have them and that is as far as it ever goes once they don't have to change diapers and feed from a bottle with a nipple. Next time your in a store take not of how many little ones have that pacifier stuck in their mouth.

My brother has had a tuff year having cancer treatments at the start. then 21 days in the hospital for surgery and recovery in June. The county he lives in takes inmates from the county jail(dept. of the ageing extension.) to mow his lawn and other minor things that need to be done around his place. I told my brother to keep every thing closed up and locked up while they are there. The also bring their own mower and string trimmers.

Has been a good thing so far for my brother. I as well as his kids live several hours away so we are not of much use helping him out.

Edited by alleyyooper, September 03, 2014 - 04:47 AM.

• GTTinkerer, oldedeeres and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#28 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 05:00 AM

I don't dare reply with my thoughts as I'll get a warning point!!  

Society has deteriorated into thuggery and thievery.  Ferguson comes to mind as I type this.  The wheels are about to come off the train..  Mark my words kids..

• GTTinkerer, oldedeeres and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Society has deteriorated into thuggery and thievery.  Ferguson comes to mind as I type this.  The wheels are about to come off the train..  Mark my words kids..

I'd get a warning point as well, and I'm a moderator!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#30 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 07:54 AM

A lot of fit parents and fit people who are not parents vote also. The fact remains the parents need to do their job and there is no government interference in doing so.

I agree with everthing you say so far except one point. We must be talking about two different governments.

Most of the older members here got spanked for misbehaving when they were kids and would say their parents did the right thing. Todays government says that's abuse, takes your kids, and puts you in jail for trying to raise them right. That is exreme interference in my book.

I'm going to stop talking now before I say too much.

• LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks