• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Honor system it seems is in trouble in this area these days.

A friend used to have a road side stand to sell his honey and eggs in. They took the honey eggs little old fridge he kept the eggs in and the little shed.

One of the places we have a been yard the lady raises all kinds of veggies and places her surplus each morning on a table with the price listed with a box for the money. First they took the veggies and left no money. Next time they took the veggies and the money box. She put up a fake camera thinking that would stop people from being dishonest. That didn't work either as they just took the veggies money box and the fake camera. She now has every thing locked up including the all but the button you push for service. 

That has been her set up for 4 years now.

Yesterday I stopped at a place where they raise some really nice butter nut squash as I wanted one.

Last year they had people who took the veggies and cash box so the stand was moved right up by there front porch. It was so close to the porch there was just room to go around that part.

Thieves were so bold they took the veggies and cash box even then. They have a chunk of steel with a striker hanging there now. If you want some thing you follow the directions and clank the chunk of steel to get them to come out. Then you place your order and wait for them to return with the things you want locked up in the garage. Fellow told me yesterday they have been thinking that next year they will not even have a stand. He said they have opened a Farmers market a couple miles down the road and it is only open oin the week ends so they are kicking around the idea of having a booth there since they have to drop what they are doing to help customer's any way.  

He said it was either that or they just would not plant more than they can use.

Shame really.

:D    Al

• Gtractor, MH81, GTTinkerer and 15 others have said thanks

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:44 AM

There is a local farm stand in my area.I think he sells strawberries and some vegetables.Sometimes he sells roasted corn.I'm not actually sure what all he sells.He has always used the honor system and still does,but a couple of years ago he had to put cameras in.People were stealing the produce and his cash box.I think this is the first year I didn't read about anyone getting arrested for stealing from the stand.First couple of years he had the camera they were arresting people left and right.Thats what the world has come to.

• GTTinkerer, sacsr, Lmiller3358 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:44 AM

This is true just about were ever you go now a days.  The sad part is most of those thieves are every day folks who go to church each Sunday and profess to be Christian.  Heck around here the thieves even wave into the security camera's. They know if they are caught and arrested that in a very short time they will be back out on the street.  Of course the stuff you wish they would steal the don't :wallbanging:

• GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:55 AM

It's a shame things like this happen. Other than installing cameras, I guess there's not much to stop it.
  • GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:19 AM

SAD, so sad ,,, and these are things a farmer can longer fix with a shotgun,,,,I was passing by a place a few weeks ago, these people had stuff on a table at the end of their, big sign read,, " FREE STUFF,,, PLEASE LEAVE THE TABLE THIS TIME "

• Bill56, Alc, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Seems to be happening all over today.

I used to sell pumpkins in the fall and every year we would get about $20-$30 of missing pumpkins with no $$ to account for them.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 09:21 AM

The likelihood is that there is one person (or a small group) that was taking the cash box.  It's an animal thing.  Once they find food, they keep coming back for more.

I'm still optimistic that this isn't the direction that the world is headed, but now that people can disseminate this information much faster, one incident can get a lot more "press" than ever before.  I'm hoping that the ability to exchange information faster may help to keep honest people honest.

• GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 09:45 AM

People like that need to be caught red handed and dealt with accordingly

• GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 10:15 AM

It's so sad how we have to live under lock & key anymore. It makes no difference if they are caught because there's no consequences anymore for bad behavior. These loosers go on a thug honor system, the more they do & time in jail or prison the more their looked up to by their maggot wantabees. I'm sorry I'm so blunt but I have no mercy for a thief.

Edited by Sawdust, September 01, 2014 - 10:15 AM.

• GTTinkerer, sacsr, Lmiller3358 and 6 others have said thanks

#10 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Publically flogged with a bullwhip is what I'm talking about.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, motobreeder and 6 others have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 12:05 PM

Publically flogged with a bullwhip is what I'm talking about.

The worse the crime, the worse the punishment I say.  Flogging works for me on the petty stuff.....for the really hideous things...drop em, bury em, done!  Having to struggle at a living makes me pretty blunt how I'd deal with them if I could.

• GTTinkerer, sacsr, Lmiller3358 and 8 others have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Honor has no meaning in today's world.

A decade ago there was a driving range and golf course close to home. The people who owned it didn't want to close it but didn't want to work there other than grounds maintenance. The put buckets of balls for the driving range and score cards for the 18 hole course by a mail box with a price list. Put your cash in the mail box and golf or driving range all you want.

This lasted a summer and they gave up. All the balls and score cards were gone but no money in the box. That and someone stile 2 golf carts.
  • GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I had a neighbor once who had a Chinese born wife. When I first met them, I was walking by their house and saw them struggling to get a stove off a trailer. Ai is a pretty tiny thing, so I went over and asked if I could help. He said sure, thanks! Later he told me that she was just dumbfounded. Couldn't understand why I would do that for nothing. In China, no one helps out without expecting something in return.

One thing about crummy people; they make the rest of us who know how to act look like saints!!!

• GTTinkerer, sacsr, Lmiller3358 and 4 others have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:12 PM

We had a pile of 1x4s stacked nicely under a tarp at the cabin. It seemed every time we went to the lake a few more were missing, so I wrote a note and put it under the tarp on top of the wood. Note said, "please put that back, didn't your mother teach you anything about honesty? I'm sure she's proud of you now". We never lost another piece of lumber.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#15 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:15 PM

That's what you get when the government keeps getting deeper into our homes and pushing God out. Almost everyone today believes they are "entiltled" to something with monetary value. The theives many of you mentioned are so brainwashed in the entitlement rhetoric, they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

Our founding fathers told us what we were entitled to -

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 01, 2014 - 06:16 PM.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, Lmiller3358 and 4 others have said thanks