skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Kenny heat up a piece of steel with the torch and use it as a iron or better yet a piece of copper or brass. This is what I did for mine.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Well, I'm still fighting pin holes in the tank. Every time I go to check it, another shows up. We'll see what happens in the morning.

In the meantime, Jake has been very patient awaiting his fuel dock to get fixed, so I worked on a few other things to help him through. Cleaned the head tin and got it installed.

Image037.jpg

Cleaned this piece of metal some and tried out some paint on it. Seems to be a very close match to the original paint I have found. This is Van Sickle Ford Red-Orange, #479 70. (601/801 & Newer)

Image038.jpg

Found a seat that will work for now. Jake is happy with it.

Image039.jpg

Been thinking about the lack of a lift system. Got to looking at the front and I have some holes next to the axle pivot. Might be able to mount the Chevy style power steering pump there and run it off the Electric PTO.

Image040.jpg

Also made a hood support rod for him.

Image041.jpg

• TomLGT195 and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#18 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Looking good!
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 03:10 AM

Kenny, on your tank issue you can fix all the pin holes with solder even with a hand held torch. You just need to be careful and not get thing too hot. Yes , it takes a bit of practice and fooling but once you get it its goes AWSOME and is so nice when your done.
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 04:56 AM

Kenny, on your tank issue you can fix all the pin holes with solder even with a hand held torch. You just need to be careful and not get thing too hot. Yes , it takes a bit of practice and fooling but once you get it its goes AWSOME and is so nice when your done.

I guess I just don't have the patience for that. Plus the tank is pretty thin in spots, so heating just opens more. I probably need to be on the lookout for another tank or seal this one inside.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Well, this mornings test revealed no more leaks. I'm toying with the idea of spraying a bunch of the Rustoleum Rust Reformer in there to coat and stop the rust from progressing any further. Just not sure how it would react with the gas and additives. Maybe I need to test it out on something first.

I am working on a grille for Jake. I just need to make some holders for it like what holds the head light assy. in place. Pics later.

#22 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 02:48 PM

Kenny, best way to fix metal fuel tanks o have found it to solder them. And if the metal is gone or hole too large, you can patch them easy with solder. Just need to use a really good flux and muriatic acid with a brush to clean the metals really good. JUST MAKE SURE YOU WASH EVERYTHING SUPER GOOD AFTER YOUR DONE!!! Or it will be a rust ball in a day or so. Its easy and you can make the solder look like it was welded ;-)

Yup what he said, but beware, the tank on my open side 165 was soldered together at the factory, when it got hot, the factory seams started to flow.

However, my tank looked like a sieve on one end, so I had to patch the whole bottom. If its just a couple of small holes, heat shouldn't be a problem.

On a prevoious tank i fixed, the hole was big enough that I had to fill the hole with something ( small screw) to keep the solder from just flowing through the hole. Fortunately on  that one I was able to cover the screw head with a bit of body filler.

Edited by Chopperhed, September 03, 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Most of the holes were pin holes. But one I could drop 2 pennies side by side into. Got to leaks stopped up and remembered I had some OSPHO. Poured a bit of that into the tank and letting it sit another night. Got the grille in.

Image042.jpg

Made some holders for it, but a bit more sturdy than the factory ones.

Image043.jpg

And I had to make a new battery holder. It would not fit down into the space anymore!

Image044.jpg

• Bill56 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's done for now!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Nice work Kenny, next time I'm up there I'll have an old tank with me and we'll play with the solder on it and see if we can get you more comfortable with it. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted September 04, 2014 - 05:57 PM

somebody has been busy! looking good, I like the paint choice.  

OSPHO? is that a sealer?   you could look into an automotive type tank restoration/ sealer   here are some options ; http://search.eastwo...tank sealer kit

Tom

• KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:28 AM

somebody has been busy! looking good, I like the paint choice.  

OSPHO? is that a sealer?   you could look into an automotive type tank restoration/ sealer   here are some options ; http://search.eastwo...tank sealer kit

Tom

Check it out here.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Nice work Kenny, next time I'm up there I'll have an old tank with me and we'll play with the solder on it and see if we can get you more comfortable with it. It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

I didn't even think about all the lead I have around here. Wonder what I'd use for flux there? May 'Google' that!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacobsen 1450, jacobsen super chief