• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy
  • Member No: 61643
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 11:24 PM

A friend recently purchased a W/H with a small(850cc) 4 cylinder Renault engine. He was told by the p/o that this model W/H was assembled in Germany and used the same engine found in the little 'Daphine' 4 dr. auto of the '60's....news to me.

Are there any members here with experience about these W/H's? It's an impressive,'hell for stout' little(?) tractor......front and rear pto,manual trans,etc.

• LilysDad said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Texas Deere and Horse has one, I believe.

http://gardentractor...done/?hl= wheel +horse +d250

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:49 AM

It is a neat tractor but parts are smetimes a challenge. This may be the manual  http://gardentractor...service-manual/

I have heard that an RV company in the US may be able to get parts. There was a Winnebago in the 80s that used a Renault engine. Good Luck, Rick

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:15 AM

That sounds like one of the first American made sub compacts. 

Ben W.

#5 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks all,for your comments. I'll pass the manual along to him. I don't know what his plans are for it(keep or sell). It's a serious piece of equipment.....looks to be in VG mechanical condition.

#6 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 11:51 AM

If he has one in very good condition, it will do a lot of work for him.  If he keeps it, take plenty of photographs for us.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks all,for your comments. I'll pass the manual along to him. I don't know what his plans are for it(keep or sell). It's a serious piece of equipment.....looks to be in VG mechanical condition.

Sammy, The D-250 is a very heavy built machine, but they do have a weak point. In 1976 Wheel Horse contracted Gutbrod a German tractor manufacturer, to build their own 2500 as the WH D-250 and Wh imported 100 tractors that year. The tractors started having issues while using ground engaging equipment. The reason was the rear end is a worm gear drive and if the main carrier bushing have any wear in them, the axle will not mesh well with the worm gear and being made from a soft bronze material as most worm gears are, they had a lot of massive failures. They didn't make it assessable to to check and maintain the rear end oil, so it wasn't keep at proper levers and caused a lot of these failures. 1978 saw improvements in the rear-end, but by then people that had the 250 didn't want to  spend $5,000.00 on a tractor that had such a bad rap. In total, WH imported 1,000 tractor in 1976 and 500 more in 78 and 79 respectively.

My D-250 is a 1976 model that I bought for very little and it had a WH loader on it, but the engine has been seized for years and I think it has been water frozen a couple times. I haven't decided what to do with it as I would like to restore it but I won't been able to use it as a loader/worker tractor so it may get a diesel conversion and a heavy hydro unit put in it.

I would like to see photos of your friends D-250 if you can post some. If he needs any help, I have made some contacts across the big pond to locate parts and info of these. Good Luck.

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 02:06 PM

Never been around a D250 [except a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup :smilewink: ] but the Toro Grounds Masters that used the Renault engines had a totally different block than the Renault Daphine cars.  My brother tried to put a Daphine car engine in a Groundsmaster and everything is backwards.  Starter is on opposite side ETC.   

Just an FYI that might save someone LOTS of headache.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Never been around a D250 [except a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup :smilewink: ] but the Toro Grounds Masters that used the Renault engines had a totally different block than the Renault Daphine cars.  My brother tried to put a Daphine car engine in a Groundsmaster and everything is backwards.  Starter is on opposite side ETC.   

Just an FYI that might save someone LOTS of headache.

Yes, most of their engines rotated opposite what ours do on this side of the pond.  That's why Brian is trying to get a gearset from a trans that works with our normal rotation for putting a diesel into his D250.  Brian wants to put the diesel with the flywheel to the rear so as to look more like a large farm tractor.

Edited by olcowhand, September 01, 2014 - 05:06 PM.

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#10 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy
  • 8 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 08:39 PM

That's interesting stuff,Texas Deere.......my friend has spoken with two old W/h dealers that had them back then,and they told him  there were D250's available in late '75 thru 1980. Also, there were D250 'leftovers' on their floors as late as 1985,thanks to their checkered past and 'significant' price tag....I wonder if the worm drive was simply weak,or,when coupled with the 'mighty' Renault it was prone to early failure....hastened by poor maintanance.

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 06:35 AM

The "mighty" Dauphine, had a whopping 32 b.h.p. I doubt you could get more than 22 or so to the ground, I owned both a Dauphine, beep beep, BEEP BEEP, and a Caravelle. Horsepower was not a major consideration.

• Gtractor and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks