GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Gonna tick some folks off but it won't be the first time. 

As much as I like the older tractors they purely scare the hell right out of me simply because many if not most of the mower decks have no deflectors to prevent rocks, sticks and other objects from becoming flying missiles.  After spending over 20 years working at golf courses and in my own I have seen the damage that resulted when a mower blade spinning at 2100 feet per minute picked up and launched a foreign object.

I have no clue on how to prevent this from happening except educating operators to search the area to be mowed before mowing and to be aware of people and pets in the area being mowed.

Edited by GTTinkerer, August 31, 2014 - 08:42 PM.

• Bill56, grnspot110, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:44 PM

That is good advice Bill, mowing in known areas helps too but kids, dogs and toys can be a challange.

• Bill56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:44 PM

That is something that crosses my mind quite often. Usually when I see a neighbor mowing without a deflector.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Well, at one time Economy tractors had NO sides or front back metal on the decks at all! Had the platform for spindle mounting, then two big loops of 1/2" rod for the two sides and acted as sliders.  Grass and I suppose many other things went in many directions with those. Later they offered metal plates to bolt onto sides to cover them up some. And look at all those 2 wheel walk-behind tractors with spinning blades and tools out front with very little safety coverage if any at all!

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:15 PM

The rule to me has always been "use your head."

A good operator is always looking ahead to know what he is cutting, and around to know where he is aiming his discharge.  A good operator doesn't need a discharge chute.  A good operator doesn't need a blade blocker to keep him from throwing grass into the nearest flower bed. 

However, to use the rule "use your head" it assumes you have one to use. 

Some operators don't.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, Bill56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:18 AM

I am looking at making one for the FF deck. Been watching along the road for a rubber mudflap to make it out of, mainly so it is a bit flexible.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 05:20 AM

This is definitely a can of worms topic. I'm sure it's probably been posted before. Some safety is needed in everything we do. Mostly it's about common sense, and a lot of folks don't have much.
An example... I was out working in my front yard a few years back. Heard the neighbor start up his push mower. The family had two girls, maybe around 6 or 8 years old. They never made their kids stay inside, or even at least have them move to the opposite front or back yard, while mowing. After a few minutes I hear one of the girls screaming. Almost didn't want to look to see what happened, but I did when the second girl started screaming. Good news is they weren't hurt. Bad news is they were screaming at each other while fighting over who was going to mow the yard. (while the mower is running) The older girl started mowing (pushing as fast as she could to get away), while her younger sister is running behind. This is all going on while their dad is about 100 feet away trimming bushes. Does he say anything? No. He stood there laughing about them zig-zagging the mower across the yard.

There are several problems with that story: People, kids or adults, shouldn't be in the yard when you are mowing... guards or no guards!

Children shouldn't be using a push mower if they aren't strong enough, tall enough, or responsible enough. The girl in my story was using a non-propelled mower that she had to lean into, with arms straight out, to be able to make the mower move.

Who's at fault here? To me, it's the parent not using common sense. No guard in the world is going to give you that. I'm not saying guards are bad, just that they need to be combined with love and care of your fellow human beings.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I see it in many places. Its "entittled" brats raising "entittled" brats. There isn't much we can do about it because they seem to be the majority and if you try to point out the problem they call the police that you are harassing them. Many of the young cops aren't much better too. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56 said thank you

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I am looking at making one for the FF deck. Been watching along the road for a rubber mudflap to make it out of, mainly so it is a bit flexible.

How about a piece of inner-tube?  Get the length just right and it will help distribute the clippings without creating windrows.

I see it in many places. Its "entittled" brats raising "entittled" brats. There isn't much we can do about it because they seem to be the majority and if you try to point out the problem they call the police that you are harassing them. Many of the young cops aren't much better too. Good Luck, Rick

Not to worry - if they get hurt it was a malfunction of the mower and they can sue the heck out of the big money manufacture.

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:13 PM

that is the problem many people do not think or can not think

and we have too many lawyers that are thankful for them

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I drove past a house last week where a woman was pushing a mower around the yard while a guy walked beside her on the discharge side holding a little girls hand. Grass was blowing out on the little girls feet. I almost stopped and had a word with them.