FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hey guys, does anyone have one of those 4" x 8" folding harbor freight trailers? I am really thinking about buying one. I can pick it up for $225 (Insider club discount) and the cost of a sheet of plywood. (Anyone buy a sheet of marine grade lately? How much is it going for?) I mostly plan to use it to cart around one tractor at a time or my tiller. Plus your typical "trailer type" home owner usage. I really do not want to drop a ton of cash on this, and the fact that I can store it folded in my shelter is a huge plus.

Here is the one I am talking about, my cost $225 and I can pick it up local.

1195 Lb. Capacity 48" x 96" Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer with 12" Wheels - Trailer & Trailer Accessories - Automotive & Motorcycle

This one is almost $175 more, but I am not sure if it's worth it for the use I plan to give it. Plus, I can't fold it and place it in my portable shed.

1720 Lb. Capacity Super Duty 48" x 96" Utility Trailer with 12" Five Lug Wheels and Tires - Trailer & Trailer Accessories - Automotive & Motorcycle

Although, this one is a serious contender... more so depending on the cost of the plywood to cover the other two decks. $175 more though...

1265 Lb. Capacity 5 ft. 8-1/4" x 3 ft. 9-1/4" Heavy Duty Trailer with Ramp - Trailer & Trailer Accessories - Automotive & Motorcycle

Soooo... does anyone have the folding one, and really like it?

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 10:54 AM

My brother bought the 1700lb one last year. Used it to pull around his ATV or his Zero Turn. No complaints. Sold it for what he paid for it LOL

The pins were a little hard to get in at first. But they "wore" in and were pretty easy to get in and out.

I would recommend a jig or something so when you assemble it it bolts together straight. His was a little crooked but straightened out.
  • FirefyterEmt said thank you

#3 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:43 PM

I gave $50 for the folding one with 8" tires used. I put a 1200# Case 644 loader on it and pulled it about 100 miles. My son uses it to haul a couple dirt bikes now after we made it solid with a full piece of plywood. I think the 12" tires should work fine for what you want to do and I would suggest that you get a spare for it. You'll also want to check the bolts often or just get nylon lock nuts when you put it together.
The only thing I would say bad about it is it will want to try and fold when you tie something down. I had to be inventive and go under the trailer with the straps to get it solid. Maybe a new one has some kind of lock on it and this one was just worn out. If you can store something outside I'd step up from the folding one
I've got a 6x10 tilt with mesh floor now and love it. I've had a couple with the ramp gate and they catch the wind bad and are a heck of a drag on your vehicle.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:56 PM

I don't own one but have looked them over and they are what they are.
When you can buy one for les than the components cost to build one.
How can you go wrong?

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 03:47 PM

CP7, could some sort of lock tab & wing nut be placed under the frame tp lock it? Is there anything that locks the rear half when its unfolded?

#6 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Not on mine there wasn't that I could tell. I can't imagine that they didn't design some sort of latch though. I've never looked at them new at HF. When I pulled it empty I folded it and strapped it down. If it was open and empty it would want to bounce up.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:03 PM

That is nuts! I really have to debate it, but that expanded metal one sure is looking nice. The nice thing is that I am not adding little things like bolts, plywood etc... Plus, find a free truck bed liner, and it can haul dirt or manure without making a mess. I would not mind leaving that style outside as much... I just know where I will park it, it will always be under trees.

#8 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 08:29 PM

Will the one you listed be big enough? It's not even four foot wide. You better measure your mower deck.

#9 thadscub OFFLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 69 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 09:16 PM

Will the one you listed be big enough? It's not even four foot wide. You better measure your mower deck.

i have this trailer and can say it is worth the money have hauled about 1500 pounds in it and have just regular plywood and has been stored outside for for about 2 and 1/2 years with no problem and have put several hundred miles on it
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/INSPIR%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.pnghttp://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

always thad

#10 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:06 AM

Sorry Thad I was refering to Emt's comment about the 3'9" x 5'8" mesh floor trailer. I would think that you'd have trouble putting a tractor with mower deck on that one. I think even four foot wide is pushing it.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:41 AM

If getting one with side rails, go with minimum 5' wide. Always better to have extra room than not enough. And I much more recommend one with side rails. If a strap comes loose or breaks, nothing is falling off.

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 09:49 PM

Wowh... Thanks for catching that! I thought the mesh one was 5 wide! That one is out! So I am down to which of the two that will require plywood decking... They are both the same size and the much lower cost, combined with the ability to fold it and put it in a storage shed is a huge advantage...

OCH, both the first two have the ability to place stake sides on it, which I plan to do.

Another option for me is to just secure the frame, and make it a solid trailer too. With some research, it seems like the "best" thing to do is to weld up the frame and re-paint it right from the start. That is not a big deal, even if kept fold-able, I think I will be doing that.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, February 12, 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 10:07 PM

a 4x8' sheet of marine plywood runs around $50 to $60 on up. Marine Plywood by Homestead - Douglas Fir