wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Started my still new to me Cub Cadet 102 and the Kohler K241 that ran beautiful last weekend is now hunting.... And that was after it finally started... Which was after checking carb adjustments. So now it is hunting, and I went through it all in my head. Fuel line is clear, fuel bowl is clean, float properly adjusted, and therefore it is getting fuel. I had gone through the spark system last weekend so it has spark fine. It has a Champion spark plug, but no new non Champion plugs to switch that to eliminate plug. I checked the governor and it is adjusted correctly. The gasoline is brand me 93 octane. It drove fine with plenty of power even though it is hunting. Dad and I both heard it run perfect last week. Ihav air cleaner off currently to make certain that isn't an issue. Help me, do I need to tear down the carb? What have I forgotten?

#2 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:44 PM

The needle, the jet. Just because the line and fuel bowl are clear doesn't mean it's getting fuel. Pull the spark plug wire off, turn the engine over a few times, pull the plug. If it's wet and smells like fuel, then you'll know it's getting fuel.

Edited by plowboy, August 31, 2014 - 03:44 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:55 PM

It runs, so I would think that means it is getting fuel....

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 04:03 PM

It's best to adjust the fuel jet by checking plug color. Plowboy is right. It may be getting fuel, but not enough fuel. Could be an air leak around the carb base. Spray carb cleaner around the gasket to see if rpms change.

• wvbuzzmaster, Trav1s and plowboy have said thanks

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Without seeing it or hearing it I would say it's running a bit lean OR the governor is set too sensitive. ???

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,779 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 04:07 PM

I'd run it for a little while just incase you got some condensation in the gas tank. This "improved" gas sucks water out of the air. If you've tried everything else, there is a possiblility that the float has a slow leak and filled during the week. These things can be a challenge to solve. Good Luck, Rick

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Ok, looked at it closer. Got to looking at te governor, mainly the spring. Looked hooked in weird spot so went and looked at three good running Kohlers and decided I needed to move the spring to that setting (three up, one down) as opposed to the current 4 up, one down. Well, when I got the spring off I realized it had been doctored to "work", hmmm, so went to a locked up 1966 Kohler and stole the governor spring, hooked it up where I thought it should be and it seemed to operate normally and not hunt to the degree it had been and now likes to idle down better. So why it didn't hunt last week is beyond me.

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I had a 8 HP Briggs that was hard to start and hunted. After noticing it was spitting gas out the carb while accelerating I fed it a heavy dose of MM oil thru the carb at full throttle for about 30 sec. Apparently the intake valve wasn't quite closing. It started fine and ran fine smooth for as long as I had it.
Just something else to check,
Mike

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Ok, looked at it closer. Got to looking at te governor, mainly the spring. Looked hooked in weird spot so went and looked at three good running Kohlers and decided I needed to move the spring to that setting (three up, one down) as opposed to the current 4 up, one down. Well, when I got the spring off I realized it had been doctored to "work", hmmm, so went to a locked up 1966 Kohler and stole the governor spring, hooked it up where I thought it should be and it seemed to operate normally and not hunt to the degree it had been and now likes to idle down better. So why it didn't hunt last week is beyond me.

As the engine breaks itself back in it will fix and create new problems, i have had so many engines do that, run great one day, like total crap and untunable the next day.

• GTTinkerer, wvbuzzmaster and superaben have said thanks

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Trying to hunt some today.... Not sure what that means. Will buy new plug tomorrow and see what that does for it.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 06, 2014 - 05:25 PM

New plug in, gum out in. Running a little rich yet. But I was able to tune it up. Drove around quite a bit, and ran outta gas. More gas, start it up, and now it is hunting again... Is it time to swap carbs to a nos kohler 26 and replace the Carter N?

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I need help!!
I have swapped carbs to the nos one tht sat with gas in it a year, I tore it down and blew air through all holes I could locate before installing it. Readjusted the governor, but it don't act like it moved any. Added new fuel line, cleaner air cleaner, and I'm really struggling here. I'm four turns out on the main jet and it still chooses to hunt like crazy. I really do not understand this, and need experts, cause I am at a loss for solutions...

I can get it to run smooth as can be at idle though.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 07, 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Casey did you do the Initial governor adjustment as outlined in the manual?

I had one engine that ran erratic until I did that adjustment, then it ran right.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have been doing that governor setup every time. I actually had a breakthrough when the sun was still in the sky and worked hard to get a result before I lost all light. I had a issue with my Nos carb that I said was a 26. Truth is I never read inside the bore to realize it is really a 30..... Oops.
So i took another 26 body, a few misc adjustment needles I had that were good, and for a 26, and the float and needle out of the old 26 carb that were actually good, they don't affect performance, and I had no other floats. And threw a fully gone threw carb on the k241 and tried it out after the governor adjustment, only the 8th time lol.
I was getting a excellent result but did not get it all tuned in perfect cause the neighbor came over and we got talking. Ya, I lost the daylight lol. Time will tell if I can get it dialed in good. I run fuel system cleaner through my stuff all the time so it should be good and healthy.

By the way, anyone need a 30 carb for their larger Kohler K series. I have one I guarantee will run an engine lol.

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 07, 2014 - 08:23 PM

You got a bad connection, loose wire, something vibrate loose. ???