• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:25 AM

So I'm thinking of adding a second ram to my plow and wanting to hear some feedback. when I used to work at Powerquest boats we installed full hydraulic steering and hydraulic assist steering. With the full hydraulic steering it was set up as such.......

http://i890.photobuc...zpsyyoidzvd.jpg

Will this work with adding a second ram to the plow? Using those two T's to hook up to the front ports on the large frame tractors.

Edited by oddfirecj5, August 31, 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Why would you want to add another?

If it was necessary to have two I think Bolens would have put on two.

My 0.02

#3 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:57 AM

the reason is to make it so it's not a wobbly mess. It will hold the plow in place when your plowing. Now I know that some of the attachment points on the factory mount need some attention as this plow was abused before me. There are times when there are 2-3 foot drifts when i'm out plowing snow.

To answer your comment with another question is....why do snow plows have that setup for pickup trucks and larger?

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:57 AM

1 single double action cylinder will work.

The only reason you would need 2 cylinders would be if each cylinder was only a single action cylinder.

#5 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I love my bolens don't get me wrong but there are things they did that were not so bright.

Take for instance the 2-stage blower for the large frames....They put the chute for the exit right in front of the muffler which heats up the chute and the top of the blower which in turn clogs the chute because of the heated up area and snow really starts to pile up. 

• Rock farmer said thank you

#6 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:06 AM

1 single double action cylinder will work.

The only reason you would need 2 cylinders would be if each cylinder was only a single action cylinder.

this way it would be a faster action with a two port ram on each side and it would hold the plow in place better

#7 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:41 AM

Sounds like you need to do some work to the plow not add another cylinder to it. 

#8 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like you need to do some work to the plow not add another cylinder to it. 

doing both is what is planned. just wanting to see if what i have pictured will work on the tractor. 

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I agree with doing the work to plow first. Get all the worn pivot and attachment points fixed, and then try it out. If, at that point, you think the dual cylinders would help, have at 'er.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:15 PM

this way it would be a faster action with a two port ram on each side and it would hold the plow in place better

I used a WESTERN now plow (10' & 8") for years and they had 2 single action cylinders, and they stayed angled the direction I wanted them to say.....Sometimes the truck went a different direction, but that's another chapter in the book!

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't see any reason for not doing it if that's what you want to do.  It does seem to have it's advantages.

However, I think two SA cylinders would be better.  That would make for less complicated plumbing. The more hoses/connections you have, the more chances of leaks or blowouts. Also, with 2 DA cylinders, unless they were absolutely identical, one will be 'fighting' the other.

As for DAs being faster than SAs, that would depend on the cylinders used.

• TomLGT195 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'am with kc9kas and oldbuzzard on this one - just use sa cylinders,they wount be fighting each other against the pivot point,and less plumbing,the clylinders will be cheaper also.

I put on plows from 6ft western to 10ft Drotts and they all used sa cylinders for turning.---------Keep it slmple.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#13 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 03:53 PM

guess one of the reasons i was going to put that other cylinder on is i have a spare lift cylinder from a large frame. i was told that cylinder is the same as the one on the plow. as soon as i can look into the mounting and pivot points then determine what needs replacing i will do so.