Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1989 Sunstar Gth 20 Rubber Engine Mount Dimensions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bfarroo OFFLINE  

bfarroo
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54116
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 08:32 PM

I have the drive shaft out of my sunstar because the yoke is messed up on the transmission end. From what i've read the engine mounts tend to go bad allowing the engine to shift forward and moving the yoke to far off the trans splines damaging it. I need to find a new yoke or get mine repaired but need to also fix the problem that caused the issue to begin with. I've found engine mounts online but 10-15 dollars ea. seems a bit expensive. I was hoping to find a generic rubber or polyurethane replacements. The mounts on my sunstar are in rough condition so I'm hoping someone may have a new or good used one sitting around where they could give me some dimensions so I could use those in my search. Also has anyone found a replacement yoke for cheaper than $130 or have a recomendation for repair?

Thanks for you time,

Benji Farr

Green Bay WI

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 08:35 PM

WELCOME to GTTalk!

#3 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have to replace my mounts too.Just going to get mine from Simplicity.My time is more important than trying to make them.It is also a 89 20HP SS.

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Welcome and GO PACKERS

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Take a look at some snowmobile engine motor mounts.

:D   Al

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Welcome, Benji.

Tell me your machine model number (8 or 9 digit number on a sticker on the lower right hand frame below the engine) and I'll take a shot at beating those prices.

Ben W.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Are these those little round rubber ones with metal center for bolt and tin around outside to bolt to frame? McMaster-Carr online has those or similart. Sometimes difference in three bolt or two bolt mounting,, think centers are same. If not this style....Never Mind! Like it or not sometimes you just gotta pay for the correct parts, as many are one off for particular machines. Work a little overtime if you can to make the extra cash!  Sell a Child!  You never really liked that big dog you have right? 

#8 bfarroo OFFLINE  

bfarroo
  • Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 10:18 AM

The number on the frame sticker is 1691381. I don't mind spending the money on a part if I believe it's fairly priced. 10-15 dollars a bushing / mount is crazy to me. I can buy a transmission mount for my car for $3.49 and it was built the same year as the tractor. I'm sure it just comes down to availability. Has anyone used a new set of mounts on their tractor recently and how have they held up. I worry about the age of most of these mounts and how much the rubber has deteriorated sitting on a shelf in some warehouse over the last 25 years. If I could find something new and of better quality for less money I'd rather go that route. Maybe I'm overthinking this and a new set would last another 25 years. Probably longer than I'll have the tractor.

#9 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 12:33 PM

Mine on 1691381 also

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Make sure the U joints are in good shape or you will be dealing with problems again. Seems that many owners neglect to grease those joints. 

#11 bfarroo OFFLINE  

bfarroo
  • Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:56 PM

U joints look good and look to have been greased regularly. Tractor has relatively low hours at 870. If it wasn't for the engine mounts the yoke would probably be fine. If I replace the engine mounts the yoke may actually fully engage the splines and be fine also. If I push it all the way on it feels fine but when looking in the yokes splines there is a small section that is damaged about half way around where the yoke started wobbling and the end of the trans shaft damaged the inside of the yoke. For those of you with a Sunstar, how far does the yoke engage the trans spline shaft?

• Cvans said thank you

#12 bfarroo OFFLINE  

bfarroo
  • Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 03, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Local dealer has the yoke for 120 and the mounts for 14 ordered them up today.

#13 bfarroo OFFLINE  

bfarroo
  • Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have the new mounts and yoke installed and the yoke definitely goes onto the transmission further. My question is how far does everyone elses yoke engage the transmission splines? Mine could go another 3/8 before the trans spline shaft would be flush with the inside end of the yoke. I was thinking that since the engine is relatively solidly mounted and the trans is solidly mounted that I would make a spacer for the driveshaft where it bolts to the engine out of some 4 inch steel round stock. doesn't anyone see any issues with this? I'm only going to go about 1/4 inch. Maybe I'm overthinking it and everything is fine how it is? Let me know what you think.

#14 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Another 1/4 in. in won't make any difference. There has to be some space to compensate for frame or engine mount flex. It will have some flex even if it appears to be a near solid mount...Dave

Edited by B10Dave, September 05, 2014 - 09:26 PM.