Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens 944 Articulating Front Mount , One Owner Arrived Today !

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 02:56 PM

Sorry no pics of that big mess inside that transaxle. Actually most of the areas that had grease were protected pretty good from the standing water inside. But the shifter shaft that was exposed and inside the gears were soaking in water all that time. Also the keyway the shifting forks slid back and forth on were very rusty and would not slide into any forward gears. Because it was left in neutral there was some grease between the shaft to reverse keeping that in pretty good shape. Dremel to the rescue to clean all the rust to clean all the nooks and crannies inside each gear and inside the keyway shaft, now back like new, almost .  Shims and bushings all looked so, so , not pitted. Everything slides into gear now as it should. Was going to fix the pins holes in the carb but found one for $5.00 . The axles had to be cut off so I am uncertain about how well my new axles will hold up ?  I have a another 5 speed transaxle I will go get after I test drive it if I feel it isn't correct.

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Its a shame you don't have pictures of the actual tear down and repairing of the work you describe, I'm sure alot of members would like to see how that is done, especially on that rusted in half frame!

Glad to hear the transmission was not all rusty inside like you first thought :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#33 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 06:17 PM

This was my first ever experience splitting a transaxle. I was sure it was complete junk when I saw it completely full of water.

Thanks to you-tube those videos walked me through it all. Just type in transaxle repair and how to lock a transaxle and it is all very helpful. The worst part was having to cut the axles off . I still am bothered having to do that. It was rusty , the inside of the shift gears were all rusted together and the shift forks were rusted bad . They would only move half a inch into reverse . So it was still very time consuming to completely free it all up and grind and sand every bit of ruest so everything would slide smooth again. It was a great experience .

Here are the two rear wheels that I cut off , but not to worry I am going to weld a axle on them and put them on my gas grill :dancingbanana:  and yes I will put decals on the gas grill saying Bolens :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• rear engine cover 002.JPG
  • rear engine cover 003.JPG

• BTS said thank you

#34 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:52 AM

This morning I had to cut some 2 in. square tubing to extend the rear frame because of the larger tires.

Also here is the first picture of the blade. I decided to just rebuild the plow mounts to fit this from the walk behind snowplow I made last year. Why walk when I can ride :thumbs:

I also have to extend the rear engine hood and raise it plenty high to make sure the tire chains don't hit it. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• aaablade2.jpg
  • aaablade1.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#35 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Looking very nice! :worshippy1:
Although it kinda has a golf course mower look to it, maybe replace the blade with a set of reel mowers :thumbs: , But I doubt that would work for snow :smilewink:

Keep up the good work! :rocker2:

#36 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Thanks,

Todays picture shows the muddy , gritty crap still coming out of the gas tank. five years of sitting even gets to the inside of the gas tank with the cap on. But it is slowly getting cleaner inside

Attached Thumbnails

• aaagastankmud.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#37 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 11:04 AM

I decided to upgrade the old dash a little , someone had ripped out the old switches and the throttle control was all rusted and would not move. I don't care if it is original or not, just want it to look a little bit nicer . I even put a guage in it. :dancingbanana:

Even if I never finish it the enjoyment I am having tinkering with it is great fun. :peace:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaadash1.jpg
  • aaadash2.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#38 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks,

Todays picture shows the muddy , gritty crap still coming out of the gas tank. five years of sitting even gets to the inside of the gas tank with the cap on. But it is slowly getting cleaner inside

Wouldnt it be easier fixing and cleaning the tank before its painted???

#39 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 01:58 PM

Those pics certainly give a clearer perspective to the project.  

#40 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:16 AM

I had already sanded the tank and had the paint out so I slapped paint on it at the same time. But it is not looking good , the inside is really rough and I see it is leaking around the gas line hose bracket on the bottom. I will order a plastic gas tank tomorrow in case I can't use it . :boo_hoo:

Todays picture shows the new dash now painted , it looks much better than the old dash :bounce:

I see the steering shaft has 1" of side to side play in it so that is wore out too . Sometimes something looks pretty good until you start taking things apart. :hitting_self_roller:

I am still having fun puttering with it :peace:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaapainteddash.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#41 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Today I decided to make a new smaller and lighter blade for the Bolens project. This is perfect size . I am also redoing the lift bracket today.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaablade1.jpg
  • aaablade2.jpg
  • aaablade3.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#42 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:14 PM

NICE! :rocker2:

That's a neat way to make a blade, I'd love to have a brake like that.
Nice job

#43 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Don; by using the brake instead of getting it rolled have you created a surface that snow will stick to and not roll off? Just curious....Dave

#44 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Thanks ,

The brake has been very useful over the years.

Bending the blade like that seems like the snow would stick but I have built blades that way for 30 years. Even the steel store used to bend some of my 1/4 inch plate blades for my big tractors . As long as it has a nice painted surface the snow slides right off.

I had one big blade rolled several years ago and it was no difference.

You can see today I have removed the old side lift assembly and re-designed it to lift from the center . I also redesigned the lift lever and brought it back to a much more comfortable location.  Today I will build the plow frame and get it attached to the blade .  Nothing fancy but a whole lot of fun :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaplowmount.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#45 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Today I got the plow frame built and the blade all welded together with the cutting edge and such. I also raised the blade for the first time and my new lever works great . I lightened this blade by 40 lbs compared to the other one. :thumbs:

Now time to grind and sand and get ready for some paint :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaabladebondo1.jpg
  • aaabladebondo2.jpg

• BTS said thank you