Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens 944 Articulating Front Mount , One Owner Arrived Today !

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:05 AM

I got the transaxle back in the frame and now I am deciding what tire size to go for snowplowing. Another week I should have the snowblade made for it . I also tweaked the rear axle for positive traction so it should do a fare job plowing.  I am also considering a 18 hp with different transaxle conversion if i like it.  Carb has to be rebuilt and everything has to be rewired . But from the junkyard condition it was in I am very pleased how it looking. :D

I see another one on Craigslist for sale , too far to drive to get it or I would buy it. :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaabigtires.jpg

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#17 hvychevy2o OFFLINE  

hvychevy2o
  • Member No: 8746
  • 23 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:33 AM

well don just my opinion here but i dont care what the hell color u paint a tractor a awesome tractor is just that awesome  . You do such great work and always have such a vision it is truly amazing the things u come up with and some times dont change that much and it just makes a huge difference just like this tractor . keep up the great work you are a inspiration . P.S. i would not be surprised to have some one say "hey i dint know JD made one like that "

#18 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Thanks,

And thanks to the others who only see the positive in it.  I am old and this makes me so happy to get up every morning . No more John Deere stickers on anything, I will get some made saying DON DEERe   and that should make it less confusing.

• shorty said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 02:29 PM

I have to say it looks way better now than they did when they were new. Bolens used some really bad paint jobs on their stuff.

I take it you dont like Bolens ..... :angel:

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,717 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 03:10 PM

. P.S. i would not be surprised to have some one say "hey i dint know JD made one like that "

More likely would be someone coming up and saying they had a J.D. just like that!!

#21 MrChic OFFLINE  

MrChic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 401
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have to say it looks way better now than they did when they were new. Bolens used some really bad paint jobs on their stuff.

Yea cause that JD green/yellow combo is so nice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#22 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Don; I like the improvements you made to the Bolens; except for the paint color!!! LOL. Hope it pushes snow for you, but it will still make a nice show hack if it doesn't....Dave 

#23 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 08, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks,

And thanks to the others who only see the positive in it.  I am old and this makes me so happy to get up every morning . 

Well I guess tonight will be the night for handing out the warning points, but I feel like I have to explain myself here.

First of all, if I'm going to be looked at as the negative one, then I might as well make it worth my while. On your opening post Don, you stated that the tractor was bought from the original owner, and that the tractor runs strong. So with reading that, I could only assume that the tractor was in tip top shape other than cosmetics. That is why I explained my opinion in my earlier post. Second of all, you posted on the reply to my post, that this tractor is a piece of junk, the carb is full of pin holes, the rear wheels are rust welded fast, and the wiring is a mess. Now if this is true, then explain how the tractor ran so well if the carb has pin holes and the wiring is a mess. If the carb was as bad as you stated, then why was it painted along with the engine? Wouldn't you fix all of these things before applying the paint? If the rear wheels were rust welded fast, then explain why the wheels were freshly painted in your 3rd update posting? Why would you spend the time painting the wheels, on the tractor for that matter, if you may have to heat up the wheels in order to get them off, and take a chance on burning the paint? You claim on your 4th post that the rear was full of water and rust, making it junk. Maybe so, but the picture you posted of it shows no signs of rust anywhere. It actually looks a whole lot better than a lot of transmissions that I have taken apart.

Your first post is dated August 30th, the day you had it delivered. The most recent post, which appears to be almost finished, is dated today the 8th. Now I can understand someone who is retired, has all day to do whatever he wants, and has a lot of time, but you my friend, have done more in just 9 days, then most restorers can do in a month. Now before anybody says, hmm, a restorer does this amount of work in a week, and Don does it in 9 days, seems like Don isn't going that fast. My answer, don't forget that there are two other tractors (John Deere 110's) that are being worked on and updated almost each day as well. Now, do the math again!

Next, I never said you didn't do nice work, and I never claimed that you weren't good at what you do, nor did I ever accuse you of not enjoying your work. I think you do some very nice fabrication work, and I believe you do enjoy your work. I have never criticized your work. I only stated that I didn't agree with you taking apart a decent machine, and making it something it wasn't meant to be. As I also stated, the tractor is yours to do with it what you want, and that I wasn't going to enjoy or follow this thread. As a restorer myself, I have gotten a lot of praise for my restorations, but I have also received a lot of criticism too. You take criticism hard, when instead, you should start using it to make yourself better. If someone tells me they don't like the way I did something, I don't get mad or upset. I try to see what it is they see, rationalize it, and find a way to utilize it in order to make me a better finisher. Criticism isn't always bad!

If you're upset, then I guess you're upset, and I more than likely won't be able to change that. I don't appreciate being referred to as negative, just because I voiced a simple opinion. Anytime you post something on a public forum like this, you got to understand that there will be positive and negative feedback, as you can't please everyone. But one thing for sure, you need to be able to accept the negative comments just as much as the positive comments, and you need to find a way out of the all about me attitude. 

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, OldBuzzard and 4 others have said thanks

#24 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Today with the larger wheels attached I am finally starting to like this project. Now I am designing a new right side console with new positions for ignition switch, light switches , levers , and I am also mounting four new headlights on front for night snowplowing.

Still looks rough but I can finally see it is going to take shape after all :thumbs: FUN  PROJECT  !!

The best thing is when you buy junk if you mess it up it doesn't matter , IT's JUNK :rolling:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaadashlevers.jpg

• BTS said thank you

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Any pictures of the transmission rebuild / tweaking???

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,700 Thanks
  • 8,893 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Don, where did you find a rebuild kit for the carb?

#27 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 08:31 AM

... some times dont change that much and it just makes a huge difference just like this tractor . keep up the great work you are a inspiration . P.S. i would not be surprised to have some one say "hey i dint know JD made one like that "

You know it's something of a coincidence, but at the Plain City show there was a fella riding around on a Bolens Frame Steer that had be repainted in JD colors with JD stickers on it.  When I asked him if he knew that it was a Bolens, he replied "No, I thought it was a JD", and was somewhat miffed because when he bought it the was told that it was a JD.

That's the problem with re-paints like that.  Unless the person that repainted it never sells it, there is the risk that somewhere down the line, someone is going to buy a counterfeit tractor.

Personally I think NO TRACTOR, NO MATTER WHAT BRAND, "looks way better" with some other manufacturer's paint job slathered all over it.  All that does is demean the reputation and heritage of both tractor brands.  That goes for ALL brands. 

We can do what we want with our tractors. but we shouldn't expect universal approval.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#28 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Todays progress picture shows the new console with all the new switches and cables. Also I changed the rear tires to these 23x10.50x12's . I did not like the lug tires on it.

Please stay positive , this is about us all having fun in our last years and this piece of junk is starting to look  GREAT  :thumbs:   Were not talking a nice machine here , please remember were talking about a piece of JUNK here  I am bringing back to life . This add sat on Craiglist for 29 days and NOBODY  wanted it . There is another one now on Craigslist that has been there for 25 days .  I still might rescue it too from the junk because seems like nobody wants it either . The guy jumped the rusty wires in the back and sprayed starter fluid in the carb and it ran good. No gas line either . He had a few lookers who offered him $50.00 but he said he would take it to the junkyard instead. You guys are going to be happy when it is done to see it still being enjoyed. I am even going to decal it saying

JUNKYARD BOLENS    so there is no confusion . :wave:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaareartires.jpg

• shorty and BTS have said thanks

#29 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Today you can see the rear frame section looking much better . It was rusted right in half and I cut out the bad metal and welded in new metal. This was the worst part of the frame. Lot of pits in the metal after grinding it down. There was no battery and most of the wiring is missing. I will have to rewire everything when I get to that stage. The inside of the gas tank was full of rust too. The gas line was completely plugged with crap . Not sure how the guy got it to start with starting fluid and jumping the selenoid in the rear, but he did and it actually sounded great for the few minutes he kept spraying in the starting fluid. One day I will get to the engine too to check out the inside of the carb. You can also see the rear hood now cut in half to be widened to allow for the wider wheel base. The hood will also be raised as i want plenty of room in case I drop a 18 to 24 hp engine in it. :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaarearframe.jpg
  • aaahood.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and BTS have said thanks

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hey Don, Do you have any info or photos of the re build of that terrible looking trans-axle? I sure would like to know what you had to do to it to get it back up in running shape. Were all the bearings bad with all that water in there all those years? What are you going to do with the pin holes in the Carburetor, will you be able to save it or have to buy another one?