Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens 944 Articulating Front Mount , One Owner Arrived Today !

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I was very excited this morning knowing the Bolens was to be delivered .   Pouring rain but no problem.

I bought it from the original owner. It runs very strong and the mower deck is in great shape. I will remove the deck and try to sell it on Craiglist or e-bay .  I will build a new snowblade for it next week and mount on the front of it to help keep my driveway clean from snow this winter. It should be in the workshop tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaframesteer1.jpg
  • aaaframesteer2.jpg
  • aaaframesteer3.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, gopher and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 04:30 PM

uh.... you do know these were not meant to do heavy pushing/ pulling right?......

These only came with decks

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and icecream4070 have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Is it 4 wheel drive ?    Noel 

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Is it 4 wheel drive ?    Noel 

No, just rear wheel drive.

Steering was by cable.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thats OK,  If it breaks Don will  remanufacture  it into something bigger and better. :thumbs:  :worshippy1:

• shorty and propane1 have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 05:31 PM

It will be interesting to see another project.

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hope the fork-lift wasn't overworked! :poke:

• Bill 76 said thank you

#8 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Pushing light lake effect snow will be easier than pushing that heavy mower deck up and down hills all day. It should be perfect for light snow. It will mostly be for show and for fun driving it around tractor shows.  It is just 2 wheel drive . That little Waldon works GREAT !  I built a 8 foot wide snow bucket for it and it handles it with no problem. I found the forks and made them work and I use it every couple weeks to move something around .

Attached Thumbnails

• aaabolensday1.jpg
  • aaabolensday1-2.jpg

• BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Second progress update shows the engine sanded and painted , the frame sanded and painted and you can see the front wheels have been removed and the larger ones are sitting in place. I hope to get the rear wheels off that are rust welded to the back axle. I have been soaking them with pb blaster but that is a very wide area to penetrate. I will take the air chisel against a piece of wood to try to break the rear wheels free. Just another very fun project to putter around on. If all goes well I should even get the new snowblade made this weekend. :rocker2:

Attached Thumbnails

• aaabolensgreen.jpg

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#10 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Do you EVER sleep ? ? ?   :thumbs:

Looking good.  Try a little heat on those rears and a piece of 3/8" flat steel with the chisel.

• Don Campbell said thank you

#11 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have to sleep because the neighbors would complain if I was grinding and hammering all night , ha,ha.

I got the rear hood sanded and painted and started rebuilding the rear frame section .

• BTS said thank you

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 02, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Don, 

I have to be honest with you here. In order to be good at what you do, you have to accept the criticism that goes along with it, right? Well, I can't say that I enjoy this project much, as you took a fine tractor apart and are trying to make it something that it isn't. I realize the tractor is your's and you can do with it what you want, but I'm the type of guy who respects tractors for what they are and for what they were made to do. This Bolens appeared to be in really good shape, so much so, that most of the Bolens collectors here would have probably given their left arm for it, just so they could have one in their collection.

Most of these guys on here are going to tell you that it looks good, or you are doing a great job. That's fine and dandy, as that's their opinion. Mine? I think you destroyed a perfectly good machine, something that would have been worth more in the shape that it was in when you got it, then now after you decided to make all of the changes. 

Sorry if I upset you, but I just can't watch a good Bolens get ruined.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:27 AM

I also have the right to do what I enjoy . This Bolens is nothing but a piece of junk . I removed the transaxle yesterday to find it full of water and rust. The rear frame was half rusted off , the gas tank is full of rust, the wiring is a total mess. The throttle cable is set up and the rear wheels are rust welded on. This is just another piece of junk to me. The carb has pin holes in it . Buying a rusty old tractor no matter what brand it is what I enjoy.
This is a lot of work to make one of these junkyard machines work again. When it is all said and done it is still a Bolens . It's only green paint on a Bolens !! It would cost $1,000.00 to restore this. All you see is the fiberglass , you don't see what a piece of junk it is. These things are a dime a dozen. I saw two other ones for sale in the last three weeks, one for $100.00 and one for a lousy $50.00 bucks.
Please let an old man enjoy the garden tractor hobby.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaapeerless.jpg

Edited by MH81, September 05, 2014 - 11:01 AM.

• farmerall and BTS have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Guys, guys.
Opinions are fine, Perspective is fine, tact, couth, and respect for your fellow hobby members is mandatory.

There have been several edits in threads regarding projects that will or are now wearing different colors... Lets remember that the tractor belongs to Don and he has the right to do what he wants to or with it... that includes paint color. However, in a forum atmosphere, forum members have the right to an opinion on a project. Be that opinion positive or negative.
What is not OK is anything that would be considered belittling or derogatory and unless you have an orange GTT Junior banner under your name, we expect everyone to act as adults.

In short, we are all just a bunch of oddballs who love tractors... please be kind to each other.
  • Bolens 1000, DougT, limebuzz and 4 others have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Guys, guys.
Opinions are fine, Perspective is fine, tact, couth, and respect for your fellow hobby members is mandatory.

There have been several edits in threads regarding projects that will or are now wearing different colors... Lets remember that the tractor belongs to Don and he has the right to do what he wants to or with it... that includes paint color. However, in a forum atmosphere, forum members have the right to an opinion on a project. Be that opinion positive or negative.
What is not OK is anything that would be considered belittling or derogatory and unless you have an orange GTT Junior banner under your name, we expect everyone to act as adults.

In short, we are all just a bunch of oddballs who love tractors... please be kind to each other.

Very well said Alan, I agree 100%. :thumbs: